Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#61513 - 06/26/02 07:15 AM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hey, remember this story?

It seems that the Royal Army marines are much competent that we firstly thought wink

As it says an article in El Mundo they did that disembark intentianlly, as a way to boycot the negotiations about the british colony of Gibraltar. And all this without the knowledge of the british government.

Incredible...

Fernando

#61514 - 06/26/02 09:22 AM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Since Spain and Great Britain are part of a mutual army of defense, and the fact that there's little more contention than the question of "10 minutes," which seems to me to be a "rounded figure," not necessarily accurate, El Mundo, and someone within the Spanish Government, may well be using this whole thing as a political issue, to get the British to offer "more concessions" in regards to the future of "The Rock." In other words, it's probably more hooey than concern.

I can't fathom the US getting bent out of shape if a few Canadian Marines accidentally landed on the coast of Maine, during exercises. In fact, if there was a "lobster party" going on nearby, the people would probably ask the Marines to join them. Yes, there'd be embarassment, and red faces over it, but PLEASE!, not an international incident. It don't go with the territory.

Wolf (Who thinks the vast majority of politicians are brain dead, or close to it. Of course that helps the media, because they're in the same boat.)

#61515 - 06/26/02 11:05 AM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Yes Wolf, you are right, but what makes me concern about this is that this incident passed without any complain by the spanish part.

I don't know how it is in the US, but here the government doesn't give orders to newspapers in order to gain advantages in international issues.

I really don't mind if it was an error (UK is an allied country), but I do mind if this is the way the institutions of the UK use to solve their discrepancies in this issue. Does this mean the UK can't control their armed forces?

In my opinion it doesn't mean nothing, only that there is a lack of seriousness in a part of the british counterpart discussing the Gibraltar issue. As I see it, it is the time when two allied countries should solve the minimal differences to cooperate 100%.

Spain has offered a 100-year co-soberaignity. What could be more reasonable?

If they don't achieve an agreement the things will remain the same: Spain putting pressure by almost closing the Gibraltar border and blocking decisions in the European Union, and Gibraltar lacking the advantages of being a main touristical target located in the mediterranean coast. No sense.

Fernando

#61516 - 06/26/02 12:19 PM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Wolf Offline

Fernando,

I doubt very much that the "invasion" was more than an error. The British military does not operate independently of the government, and you should be aware of that. It was a mistake, nothing more. The stories I've read about this, related to this latest flap, indicate that, "it is alleged,... " which tells me there isn't much to substantiate the statement.

As for the Spanish newspapers, etc, you said they don't get orders from the government, but your newspapers are basically left and right wing oriented, just like your TV, so they actually do have a political interest in that respect. I've read translations of stories that were written about events in Spain, from both left and right wing publications, and to be honest, it's hard to believe they were reporting on the same issue, since both sides tend to leave out details that would make the other side's views look respectable. So, with that information, I'd conclude that it's someone in the Spanish government who "leaked" information that is one sided to the press, if for no other reason, than to make the British government look foolish. As for the rest of us out here, we only laughed at the situation, just like we would if it happened with the US and Canada.

To give this issue print, besides laughing at it, is rediculous. Sorry! That's just the way it is.

Wolf

#61517 - 06/26/02 12:52 PM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Wolf Offline

Canada Invades United States

It’s alleged that Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura, who recently decided he isn’t interested in running for re-election , has declared war on Canada. It’s alleged, that while Mr. Ventura was camping at the Boundary Waters park, which stretches between Canada and Minnesota, he saw six Canadian war canoes with what appeared to be a bevy of half naked warriors from the north, enter Minnesota’s territorial waters, and actually step foot on Minnesota territory. It’s alleged that when Mr. Ventura called the President, and asked for a mobilization, and shore defenses against this invasion, the Prez suggested he should quit smoking that funny stuff that has been suggested was floating around the Governor’s mansion.

It’s further alleged that Ventura, upset by the remarks, contacted leaders of the WWF (World Wrestling Federation), in hopes of getting them to send a battalion of their men to the boundary waters, where they could flex their muscles, make menacing faces, and act like half wits, in an attempt to scare the invaders off.

Our reporters caught up with the invaders from the north, who were camping not 50 yards away from the “posing” WWF people, who alternated posing and growling, and asked if they’d accidentally came across a forgotten band of neanderthals. Upon being told the defenders of Minnesota were WWF wrestlers, the 80+ year old invaders ran over and scared them away, by removing their shirts, and telling the wrestlers it’s what they’d look like in another 40 or so years.

It’s alleged that Ventura, safely tucked away in a safe house away from the action, is drafting papers, to have Minnesota withdraw from the Union. “It’s what those other 41 states deserve!” Ventura allegedly offered to one onlooker.

laugh The previous story is the figment of a fertile imagination, but if you want to believe it, who am I to rain on your parade? rolleyes

#61518 - 06/26/02 02:35 PM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
This is just hysterical...

And WOLF, MM: This is EXACTLY they type of posting I was writing about in the "Write a Book Already" thread:

But, MM, I agree w/ Tara that I don't think people would hold anything back...you may have some posters trying to outdo each other in their eloquence (did I spell that right? I'm sure Cali will tell me if I didn't!!) and literary styles...

-GG :p laugh rolleyes

#61519 - 06/27/02 10:34 AM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Wolf - its sooooo good to see you back and in your usual rare form! laugh wink laugh

General consensus - all politicians and 99% of the media are full of crap. (I have to give that 1% margin to the media - its helped pay the bills for lots of us on the board).

Fernando - I have to agree with Wolf in that the UK military does not take unauthorized actions - of course, mistakes do happen a la the Canadian story he created - but odds are this was a case of an honset mistake being totally blown out of proportion.
Not to say I didn't laugh a lot ..... wink

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2047 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments