MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#61353 - 02/01/02 05:12 PM Really cool study from Columbia University
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, friends--
This doesn't have to do with Spain, exactly, but it seems really fun and perhaps interesting to many of our members with all of our international connections and interests. MadridMan, feel free to delete if you think it's not appropriate for the board; I won't be offended!

At the following link is a study being conducted by the sociology department at Columbia University. They are trying to test out a global model of the "six degrees of separation" idea (the notion that anyone in the world can establish a connection to anyone else through only 6 other individuals), using e-mail contacts that participants have. If you choose to participate, you get the name and location of a "target person" and you send one e-mail message to an acquaintance of yours, in an effort to move the chain closer to the target. It only takes about 5 minutes to register and get your target person (mine was in Java, and the person I used to try to get closer to her was an old boyfriend who traveled in Indonesia during college).

Although I am an academic, I don't have anything to do with the study...I just thought that some board members might find it interesting! My friend Tracy sent the link to me, and the funny thing about her is that, though we met in graduate school in Minnesota, it turns out that we went to the same elementary school in New Jersey, AT THE SAME TIME! She was in 6th grade and I was in 4th grade, and I went to her class for advanced reading. The only reason we never met there was that she went to an 8th grade class for reading! I would imagine, if a handful of us bulletin board members sat down over a couple of beers, we would find some of the same "small world" connections too!

http://smallworld.sociology.columbia.edu/index.html

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: taravb ]

#61354 - 02/01/02 08:15 PM Re: Really cool study from Columbia University
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Fascinating! Even as I write I'm trying to figure out how to track down my target Australian. Everyone should get on board. No cheating though.

#61355 - 02/04/02 02:10 PM Re: Really cool study from Columbia University
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Yeah, Barry, it was tempting to look for my target person in a search engine! My husband got an Australian for his target person too. I though about applying to be a target as well, but hey, everyone already knows me!! wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
la calma
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1547 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments