Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#61305 - 01/18/02 11:33 AM Re: MM Board I.D.
jaimemiguel Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio USA
I'll take two. laugh

#61306 - 01/18/02 01:06 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
jllawson Offline

Loc: Boise, ID US
MM... I think you are on the right track... but I think a tag with a small Espana flag might be more appropriate and should not offend a sensitive spainard who does't like "his" flag to be defiled... I too have had conversations with people who have used the site to plan trips... they weren't members and didn't think it was necessary since most of is free... I'll renew my comment from a year ago and suggest that a portion(large) of the site be fee-based($20-25/year???) leave some part public so as to attract more quality contributors such as...

#61307 - 01/18/02 01:27 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Jllawson, I can't think of any spaniard who will get offended by such a use of our flag wink In fact, I would be proud to see such an ID tag.

I have some abilities in graphic design, so I could create such a tag in minutes.

However, I think that a simpler idea would be more practical: Why don't uploading to the site the logo and let people download it and put in some kind of tag?

Or we could create a credit card-style tag, which will offer some beers and tapas with discount, and the possibility to meet some of the local members :p Who could sponsor us?

Jaimemiguel and Jo-anne, your comments were really funny wink

Fernando

#61308 - 01/18/02 02:30 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Oh, that's a great idea...maybe MM could find a job bringing the equivalent of those little "Happenings" books (probably only familiar to Americans--high school kids usually sell them--they contain coupons for area restaurants and services, and usually sell for $25 each) to Spain!! And sell them through his site! And move to Spain!!

For example, El Brillante (and lots of other places) could offer a deal on bocadillos (half price, or buy one get one free), and MM could sell its coupons as part of a little booklet. People traveling to Madrid come to his site to buy them, and he could have information available online on those sponsors (most of whom probably have no internet presence).

Of course, then what happens when we members say that a particular place sucks?

That wouldn't matter if you got hooked up with the big American company that markets these things--the site is http://www.entertainment.com and they don't have books for Spain yet!! You could convince them, MM!! You have 2000 people ready to write you rec letters, after all!

Oh, well, it's an idea!

I would happily use a MM luggage tag.

Tara smile

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: taravb ]

#61309 - 01/18/02 03:25 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Tara -
Excellent idea about MM sponsoring the Entertainment book and having his MM Board ID marketed inside. I just posted about using the Entertainment book for reduced airfares. If MM could convince the entertainment publications people that a market is out there for a spain publication - from this board and elsewhere- he could then get paid to find the sponsors cool , market and sell his MM board ID tags for a profit, quit his day job and move to Madrid. laugh laugh

#61310 - 01/18/02 03:37 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Yeah, CathyM, the more I think about it, the more I think he'd be silly NOT to do that!!

The businesses included in the books get increased traffic from sales of the coupon books, MM gets a salary, the book buyers get a discount--and once he's rich (to go along with famous, which we have already established is the case), he can spring for a round of cañas for the lot of us.

Plus, what could be more fun than going all over Madrid, visiting businesses and encouraging them to participate!!? From what I can tell, they don't pay or get paid to participate--they just get increased business. In fact, I used an Entertainment book coupon today for lunch at a local malt shop. Here's what we got:

1 chocolate malt: $3.65
2 burgers: $8.00
1 BLT: $2.00
1 order of fries: $2.35

Our coupon was for a buy one, get one free burger...so we got $4.00 off the bill. Even with that, though, I suspect the shop did okay! And we had never been there before and wouldn't have gone without the coupon. And the shop only has one coupon in each book sold, so it's not like we can go back again and again and get more free burgers.

See, everyone wins! MM, you HAVE to do this!!

Tara smile

#61311 - 01/18/02 10:16 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
LW Offline

Loc: USA
Hey Tara!! Great ideas! If he does do this, and it works really good, then he should take you, and maybe a few others, out on the town! ...hmmmm, but then again, if he succeeds, he won't have time to entertain us here anymore frown.....hmmmm :P...but the loyal person that he is... nah, he won't do that to us eek jaja....ANYway, MM, GO FOR IT!!!
And MadridMan, did you ever think that so many people from ALL over the world, would care for YOU like this???? wink It's really Cool!! smile
Cuidate...

#61312 - 01/18/02 11:47 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WOW! Now my head is SWIMMING with possibilities!! rolleyes (<-"swimming head face) These are all wonderful ideas. But you know, if people use these "Entertainment"-type books for establishments in Spain that the proprietors would have to give some discount to the customers. Yes, they'd get more business and that would mean more profit for them. BUUUUUUUUT, it's my impression that Spanish businesses, and MAYBE I'M WRONG, would rather NOT have more business traffic than give someone a discount - that pride is more important than profit and giving discounts might be equated with a lack of pride in the minds of Spanish businesses. (oh-man! what am I saying??!! eek )

Ummm.. but I STILL love the decals/stickers, forehead tattoo, and "always carrying my furniture around with me" ideas! hehehe... smile

And hey, if this thing would work and I DO get to move to Madrid because of it and I DO make a lot of money, you can be SURE there'd be "OPEN BAR" at the next "Party With MadridMan!"

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#61313 - 01/19/02 12:12 AM Re: MM Board I.D.
LW Offline

Loc: USA
Trust me MM, I will be waiting and watching your every MOVE wink wink ..and know, that you WILL one day have that "OPEN BAR" and "Welcome ME, the MadridMan " to Spain Party!! laugh

....and I would thank "YOU" and "Everyone" that gave great insite on things that made me decide to move to Spain, and also bringing Spain to me here in my home, in the USA smile smile smile

#61314 - 01/19/02 02:04 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
taravb Offline
Executive Member

That's an interesting suggestion, MM, that proprietors of Spanish businesses might balk at the idea of providing discounts or "buy one, get one free" deals. Do any of the Spanish board members think that's the case?

I can sort of understand the idea that pride might interfere with wanting to give discounts, just as (for some people who aren't as cheap as I am) the idea of using coupons might turn some people off.

Maybe a discount card--here in Minneapolis, subscribers to our public radio station get a card with a bunch of numbers on the back. Each corresponds to an establishment that has agreed to give a discount or a "buy one, get one free" deal.

These are some pretty fancy restaurants (in the $10-$25 per entree range--actually including some of the best in town--the public radio membership pays for itself in just a couple of visits), and when you go to pay, you just give them the card along with your money or credit card. They make the necessary adjustments, scratch off their number on your card (so you can't use it more than once at each place), and then you're done. It's quite private, that way.

Maybe that would appeal to Spanish sensibilities in a way a book of paper coupons wouldn't. How do the Parador or Bancotel deals go over in Spain? Are people reluctant to use them, or do they think less of the establishments that accept them?

It seems to me like there may be an untapped market there! I would certainly consider paying $25 (which is what the Entertainment books cost here) or more for something like that.

Just a thought!
Tara

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: taravb ]

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments