Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#6125 - 10/08/03 07:53 PM Madrid: Substitute for Best Western Carlos V??
travel333 Offline

Prices have shot up on Hotel Carlos V . Understand it has the BEST location. Is there a good substitute HOTEL at about the same location??

Or, hostel?? What are differences between hotel and hostel?
Thank you.

#6126 - 10/08/03 10:40 PM Re: Madrid: Substitute for Best Western Carlos V??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I can't PERSONALLY recommend this place but many others here (and friends of mine) have. It's the Hotel Europa , located JUST off the Puerta del Sol, on the same side as Hotel Carlos V . This one has been able to keep its prices down. I think a single is about 53 € and a double is 64 €. It's famous, too! I've heard it described as "funky" by more than one person but you'll find many reviews of it here in this forum if you do a search.

You could also give a hostel a try. Hostels in Spain are called "hostales" in Spanish and "hostals" in Catalán. One shouldn't confused the word "hostels" as meaning YOUTH-hostels though. In Spanish speaking countries, the proper translation for the spanish word "hostal" is the English word "hostel". In the rest of the non-Spanish-speaking world the term "youth-hostels" has been abbreviated to the word "hostels" so you should be careful with this word.

Hostels are family owned and operated "budget hotels" with (usually) simple furnishings, smallish rooms, no/few extra staff-provided services, in-room or shared bathroom facilities, maybe/maybe-not an elevator in the building, but usually very very clean and generally about half (or cheaper) the cost of a hotel.

ANYWAY.... a hostel would be a good and probably cheaper alternative. There are many many hostels in the same area or near the above two hotels. You could try the much touted Hostal Adriano (see reviews by doing a search) and also Hostal T.I.J.C.A.L. . Simpler and cheaper hostels in the area would include Hostal Oporto and Hostal Aresol to name only a few. I've stayed at these last two and can recommend them.

I think we had a discussion (or casual mention) a year or two ago about how the prices at Hotel Carlos V had nearly doubled since the change from the Peseta to the Euro.

Anyone else with suggestions? Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments