Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#61030 - 11/12/01 10:54 AM New York plane crash
beckham Offline

Loc: ireland
A plane has crashed in New York. No news on the details on the cause of the crash. Plane traveling from JFK airport.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#61031 - 11/12/01 12:22 PM Re: New York plane crash
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
I've been watching the news since I got up this morning (Pacific time). No determination as to the cause, whether there are survivors, etc. I immediately e-mailed a friend in New York state who owns a place in the D.R. (near Puerto Plata)...I understand this American flight's destination was Santo Domingo. I am awaiting confirmation that she and her loved ones are safe and sound.

#61032 - 11/12/01 01:01 PM Re: New York plane crash
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
AA flight 587, an A-300 Airbus bound for Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. All NYC airports, tunnels and bridges closed and an 'umbrella' of U.S. Air Force F-16's over NYC.
Early reports: no indication of terrorist activity. Eyewitness says one engine fell off the AirBus on takeoff, landed away from the rest of the plane. eek

#61033 - 11/12/01 01:07 PM Re: New York plane crash
beckham Offline

Carole Chiaro - lets hope they are safe and sound, what another diaster to happen, just as people were getting back to "normality " Its all over the news here in Ireland, and our thoughts are with all the people involved

#61034 - 11/13/01 06:56 AM Re: New York plane crash
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Hey, Beckham:
Belle Harbor is an Irish neighborhood there in Rockaway. Eyewitnesses (Retired NYC Cops Patrick Sullivan & John Gallagher) were crossing the Marine Parkway Bridge when the AirBus came down around Beach 130th - I used to hang out at a place called the Irish Circle at Beach 105th Street (about a mile from the crash site). I think it's still there; and they have an Irish festival in that neighborhood in mid-August every year.
cool
We used to sit on the beach at 106th Street and watch the Concorde take off. rolleyes

I think I heard about 5-people killed on the ground along with the 255 aboard the plane. It could have been a lot worse: There are several high-rise beachfront old-age homes around Beach 106 - 112th. eek
BTW
I combined a visit to Ireland and Spain last June (RyanAir Dublin - London (Luton) and EasyJet London (Luton) - Madrid). That trip we stayed mainly in County Clare. September I visited Ireland again: County Limerick and County Clare. laugh

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#61035 - 11/13/01 10:36 AM Re: New York plane crash
beckham Offline

Hey, Beckham:
Bele Harbor is an Irish neighborhood there in Rockaway. Two eyewitnesses (Retired NYC Cops Patrick Sullivan & John Gallagher) were crossing the Marine Parkway Bridge when the AirBus came down around Beach 130th - I used to hang out at a place called the Irish Circle at Beach 105th Street (about a mile from the crash site). I think it's still there; and they have an Irish festival in that neighborhood in mid-August every year.

We used to sit on the beach at 106th Street and watch the Concorde take off.
I think I heard about 4-people killed on the ground along with the 255 aboard the plane. It could have been a lot worse: There are several high-rise beachfront old-age homes around Beach 106 - 112th.
BTW
I combined a visit to Ireland and Spain last June (RyanAir Dublin - London (Luton) and EasyJet London (Luton) - Madrid). That trip we stayed mainly in County Clare. September I visited Ireland again: County Limerick and County Clare.

Eddie
An Irish neighbourhood in Rockaway? well they do say that there is more Irish in America than in Ireland itself!! Ha! I would love to visit America at some stage and the last airline disaster wont put me off flying! I live in Limerick , I could have passed you in the street! What did you think of Ryanair, hope you were not to shocked to realise that you have to pay for everything you eat or drink on the flight! put they are cheap flights so we cant complain laugh rolleyes

#61036 - 11/13/01 08:02 PM Re: New York plane crash
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

It's just a short hop from Dublin to London (Luton). I don't think any flight attendant even had time to come around selling stuff. It was fine!

Maybe we should call this MadridMan's Spain and Ireland board: Is that Limerick City? My favorite hangout there is Tom Collins Oyster Bar on Cecil St., just off Catherine St. I watched a 'cup' match between Manchester United and Arsenal at the Brazenhead Sports Bar on O'Connell Street in April, '99. There were about (my estimate) 300-screaming football fans inside watching the game. It was on a Sunday and the police were very prudent (although quite visible - even a District Inspector.) They didn't try to close the place at 13:15 when it should have closed - the match was a scoreless tie and it went to overtime. It was still scoreless at the end of the overtime period and a playoff was scheduled for the following Wednesday. Check out http://communities.msn.com/Gate5 for fotos.

My father was from Monagea (Newcastlewest) so I visit with cousins there whenever I am in Ireland (just about every year, at least once). My wife is Madrileña. I also visit Spain as often as possible. Most recently I stopped in Santander, Barcelona & Huelva. Stayed with relatives, mostly. rolleyes

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#61037 - 11/14/01 04:53 AM Re: New York plane crash
beckham Offline

Eddie

Wow what fantastic pictures, and wouldn't you know that a pint of guiness would end up in a picture or two!!! laugh
I am not too familiar with Newcastle West, its very rare us city people venture out to the county!! I live in the city, but the city wouldn't be( or any city in Ieland) be as big as NY

The pic of the stone house in Galicia is very similar to those found in Ireland, it was surprising to see.
I have never been in Tom Collins pub, but I have been in the Sportsbar, its a great pub and well known in Limerick for sports games esp English Premiership Football/Champions League games or any Celtic matches
The Cliffs of Moher pic is spectacular too
smile smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments