Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#60992 - 11/21/01 01:04 AM Re: Start chopping those logs!!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Tara,

It's an interesting mixture that came out of several European languages, where people learned English, without actually being taught the language. A movie, that actually exploited the effect was "Fargo." It's really something that exists. A total butchering of English I'm afraid.

A couple of things. First, we didn't use "soda" when I was a kid. We called it "pop." Where my wife comes from, in Southern Indiana, it was called, "Sodie pop."

We couldn't even have one together for over two months until we figured out what the hell the other one was talking about - frown

"I'm going to get a pop!" It meant I was going for a soda.... rolleyes

You guys is actually run together...... youzguys.... gotta get that "z" in there.

Yes, "owies" are small wounds. Also called "boo boos."

Any statement made, where a person is asking the person they are talking to for confirmation ends with.... "Don't'cha know?"
It also slips in when a person is emphasizing something... kind of like... "Just like I should have expected!"

Adding to this, another one related to it, "Ain't it so Ivy?" or "Ain't it so Tara?"

Another one.. "What did you do last night?" comes out as one word; "Wudges do last night?" or "Wudgesguysdolasnight?" Letters left off, and all run together.

The butchering gets worse in some areas of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where they add a Finnish flavor to the whole thing. It really goes beyond what Frances McDormand was saying in Fargo. Far beyond that, making the language they used in the movie almost normal by the added changes.

It's a language of its own. Really "woodsy." I guess that's why they call people like me, who grew up in Northern Wisconsin, "jack pine savages." We ain't never been learnt the right way to talk... wink

Wolf (Who's getting out his newest bowling shirt for Thanksgiving dinner... rolleyes , even if it does have a wine stain on the front!)

#60993 - 11/21/01 11:11 AM Re: Start chopping those logs!!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Ya fer sher ya bet'cha. Don ferget da werd "ish" ta describe all da yucky stuff.

And taravb: When you pronounce words like "out" and "boat" you should strive to overenunciate the "o" kind of like an "owh", using the bottom of your throat. Just watch Fargo...den you can go ouwht in da bouwht and do sum fishin' like da udder Minnesodans or perhaps you wanta do eat sum cheez like da Wisconsonians. You be da judge. Like the old poet guy Paul Bunyan said, "you are da master of yer fate, yo are da captain of yer souwhl, don'cha know?"

Happy tanksgivin t'allayuh, and go Lions, beat da Packers!

#60994 - 11/21/01 12:27 PM Re: Start chopping those logs!!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Hey der Cali!

What's wit da Lions ting? Da Packers gonna whup up on dem city boys. Final score; Stump Jumpers 27, doz Lions 10 or so.

To allz youzguys out dere, have da best of turkey day, an don' be drinkin too much dandelion wine. Der's lotsa udder tings to drink ya know. Like dat der English stuff, Iced tea ( :)), and pop.

I be tinkin bout you guyz out der on da coast when I cut inta da big venison roast we be having wit da turkey an ham. Kinda like a smorgasbord, don't'cha know?

Wolf (Who has stocked up on every conceivable heartburn and indigestion remedy known to mankind, for his belt buster meal, which includes four kinds of pie, the meats, dressing, mashed potatoes w/gravy, peas, carrots, corn on da cob, shrimp cocktail, candied yams, home made bread, home made buns, Tourtieres (French meat pie), jello, ice cream, jello salad, red cabbage, deviled eggs, coffee, milk, pop for the kids, and a nice hot apple cider spiked with rum. Needless to say, there will be over thirty people at our house to help us put it all away... rolleyes - I may even recover by Christmas, when we have a Really big meal!!!!!!

#60995 - 11/21/01 12:43 PM Re: Start chopping those logs!!
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Wolf and co ........ ENJOOOOOYYYY!!!!! laugh

#60996 - 11/21/01 05:47 PM Re: Start chopping those logs!!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
By eck!

eek

Jo

#60997 - 11/28/01 08:40 PM Re: Start chopping those logs!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Anchovy,
How's the weather in Estepona? It's unseasonably hot here in Florida, I think perhaps the squirrels and wooly worms have let me down this year.

I'll be in Spain in three weeks(Castilla, Sevilla & Galicia), and was wondering what to bring for outerwear, my Nanook of the North (as La Maestra fondly describes) wear, my leather coat for North Florida winters,or my casual raincoat? rolleyes

Awaiting your kind reply,

Booklady

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1597 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments