MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#60856 - 10/12/01 08:32 AM Día de la Hispanidad
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi all!

Today is the Día de la Hispanidad (Hispanity's day), which is a kind of our national day.

I've seen on the TV the militar parade through el Paseo de la Castellana. You know what? There were US marines participating as a way to show our respect on the recent terrorist attacks. There were also units from the european forces (I recall portuguese, italian, french and german soldiers). It was extrange to see forgein forces, though they have been welcomed I would sayed (people has clapped them).

You may see a photo in www.estrelladigital.es

Fernando

#60857 - 10/12/01 09:26 AM Re: Día de la Hispanidad
el Perrito Offline

Loc: Suecia
Not possible from where I come.

#60858 - 10/12/01 11:25 AM Re: Día de la Hispanidad
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

What is not possible? Seeing forgein troops in a military parade? Why not?

I don't see anything wrong with that. We are integrated in NATO and in some european combined corps (Eurofor and Euromarfor), so why not reflecting it in the day of the military armies?

Fernando

#60859 - 10/20/01 12:13 PM Re: Día de la Hispanidad
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Perhaps El Perrito was referring to the fact that Suecia (Switzerland) does not have a military?

[ 10-20-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#60860 - 10/20/01 03:49 PM Re: Día de la Hispanidad
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Hi Carole!

But Suecia does have a military, cause it is Sweeden (Switzerland is Suiza, I know the names are hardly to distinguish).

So don't know what he was referring to wink

Fernando

#60861 - 10/20/01 05:21 PM Re: Día de la Hispanidad
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Fernando, Carole,

Actually Switzerland does have a standing military of over 43,000 men. They comprise the Army, Air Force, Frontier Guards, and Fortification Guards. Their military budget this year is in excess of $3 billion.

As a part of EC, Switzerland was told by other members that a standing military would be required, and that they would have to supply men, equipment, and services to the Union like everyone else.

Of course that threatens the neutrality that Switzerland has alleged it held, during previous wars.

Still, EC members weren't buying their request to remain neutral, fully aware of the fact that Switzerland did in fact function in full agreement with the Nazis during WWII, when billions of dollars in gold, and other resources were squirreled away by the Nazis, after stealing it from the Jews and the nations they conquered.

Over the next five to ten years, the military budget for Switzerland will be increasing faster than any other nation in the world, as they bring their forces up to standard, and replace worn out equipment, long since scrapped by most EC nations.

I don't doubt that there were Swiss soldiers in the parade. As members of EC, they would have been there.

Wolf (Who owns a Swiss Army knife, and a Swiss Army watch, but no Swiss Army underwear.... laugh )

#60862 - 10/20/01 06:32 PM Re: Día de la Hispanidad
Tia Offline

Fernando and Carole:

I think El Perrito was referring to celebrating with a military parade (foreign or domestic). That idea might have been quite alien to him since Suecia doesn´t have that kind of traditions. (I´m only guessing now).

BTW, how do you celebrate Día de la Hispanidad besides watching the parade? Are there some special festivities? Parties, traditional food etc.?

#60863 - 10/20/01 07:39 PM Re: Día de la Hispanidad
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Thank you, Fernando (sorry about the mix up in translation) and Wolf (your post about Switzerland was very informative).

There weren't any music or festival-type events, to my knowledge. But many stores and museums were closed (restaurants and bars, of course, remained open)and there were "thousands" of Spaniards out and about enjoying the day. We saw a flamenco show at Casa Patas that evening. Unfortunately, a little rain in the evening put a damper on outside activities but certainly didn't stop folks from "enjoying life" which Spaniards excel at!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments