Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#60814 - 09/25/01 06:18 AM what do I say?
beckham Offline

Loc: ireland
Look like I started a WW3 and maybe have I lost possible friendships with all American people on this board? - I just expressed some opinions, I think people got me wrong, its not that i dont care about what happened - I work for an American company here in Ireland and I donated money from my wages for the relief efforts- but our news has been full of what happened in the USA, after a while me and my friends have got the attitude " get over it "- not forget it- DO something maybe the news is different in the USA- No one is a winner in this argument,people will have their own views on the situation and I am sure that some heated discussions will be raised in bars, cafe's in year's to come about this - we appreciate the help we get from USA, as a colleague of mine said" if it wasn't for the Americans we would probably be all under Nazi rule" We can all give accounts of events in History and develop a sort of
" tit for tat" discussion but its not worth it - I do hope that America win the war on terrorism and God Bless America wink

#60815 - 09/25/01 09:22 AM Re: what do I say?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Beckham,

You didn't lose friends. Especially after this post. If anything, you let your real feelings show through. Not the hostility some of us sensed in your first post on another thread. That goes further towards cementing friendships than anything else I have ever known.

Of course we understand that nobody wants to be dragged into a world war. But to stomp out terrorism, it takes a united world's involvement. Nations must choose whether they support the efforts of one side or the other.

This isn't America's war. We could never win it alone. Without the coalition of Islamic states behind the resolve of the UN and NATO we'd be lost. Saudi Arabia today announced they were breaking all diplomatic ties with Afghanistan, in light of their failure to cooperate with the world community, and their harboring of terrorists.

As a person, I must support my country, and at the same time demand that our government work with other nations in what lies ahead. As a citizen of America, and the world, I owe both of these obligations to my fellow man.

Please! Don't let the "false bravado" that some Americans use be something you judge us by. For every American who'd say things like, "Nuke 'em all!", there's dozens of Americans who understand the real role America plays in the balance of world unity. All too often the news media picks up on these stupid statements by overly macho Americans to indicate it's how we feel, when nothing could be further from the truth. What more can we expect from the media than to create more problems?

We do feel the pain of each bombing in Belfast, we feel the anguish of mothers who watch as their children die of starvation in a war torn nation of Africa, and we sense the frustration and fears of people, when their lives are helplessly manipulated by leaders whose only goal is to wage war against the civilized world. Even though it may appear we are de-sensitized by the violence around the world, nothing could be further from the truth. If we didn't care, why would the U.S. invest so much into helping nations where even the governments are totally opposed to everything we say or do?

Wolf

#60816 - 09/26/01 01:03 AM Re: what do I say?
Jaime Offline

Well said Wolf. You perfectly wrapped up what many of us were struggling to express.

#60817 - 09/26/01 12:52 PM Re: what do I say?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I appreciate the post above.

We're all very sensitive right now with the events 2 weeks ago and should be cautious when we express ourselves (myself included).

I'm leaving for Spain tomorrow and will keep this in mind during my journey.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments