Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#60670 - 08/14/01 04:36 AM Just back from my 3 weeks in Sain
Lalit Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to my previous topic. I found the suggestions very useful. Here is a short rundown of my 3 weeks in Spain.

Left Arnhem in The Netherlands on 23 July, travelled 1300 km and camped south of Bordeaux (France). Next day travelled to San
Sebastian and stayed in a small town called Orio, 20km west of San Sebastian. Purely a magical place. The camp site is next to the
beach, with mountains all around. All my family loved this place, with lots to do and enjoy. Stayed 4 days. San Sebastian is a
beautiful city, and on a lovely location. I bought a large poster which will go on the wall on my office.

From San Sebastian, drove through Pamplona to Soria and stayed 2 days in a camping place in Abedjar. Then drove to El Escorial and stayed at the El Escorial camp. Visited the monastery and the Valley of the
Fallen. Nice, but did not appreciate the huge cross on the dome in the Valley of the Fallen as it looked very gothic to me. The inside was nice. Had nice walks to the top and had lunch in the forest.

Madrid was nice as well, and not as hot as expected. Temp ranged between 32 and 34 degrees during our stay. No problems with parking as there are loads of undercover parking at reasonable prices.

From El Escorial travelled to Barcelona through Zaragoza. Long drive but very nice with the changing landscape. Surprised at how dry parts of Spain are. In Barcelona stayed in a camp near Vilad Cannes (??),
about 10km south of Barcelona. The camp site is on the beach and this was good as the temperature ranged between 38 and 40 during our stay.
We found Barcelona a fascinating city. Beautiful and big. Took city tours in the "turistic bus". Walked along the Rambla and found it very nice, with all the cartoon characters and showmen. Lots of people. Also went to Montserrat for a days visit. Nice views.

Then from Barcelona went Puigcerda in the north. Beautiful scenery along the drive. Stayed at Camping Pirineus, the best campsite of all our stay. Good shaded lots, with perfect sanitary facilities. Went
for car rides along mountain routes in the nearby national forests. Some very scary roads, but worth it.

Then from Puigcerda went to Andorra. This place really surprised us. What a big shopping area for this small city. Lots of shops, mainly electronic and jewellery, and full of tourists. Liquor is very cheap
(bought Johnny Walker Red Label 2 litres for about USD 13.00. The landscape is amazing, valleys with large mountains on all sides. Did a lot of hiking around fast running streams. A must see place if you are visiting northern Spain.

From Andorra went to Jurra region in France (near Lyon) before heading back home, thus ending our 3 weeks holiday.

No driving problems in Spain, and no security problems as well. I think a lot of people here are scaring us or nothing. Saw one pickpocket during my 3 weeks, and he was quickly apprehended by the police in Barcelona. We carried one SLR, one Video camera, and my wifes large purse with us all the time and never felt threatened.

As for the people of Spain, some writers here have said that they are not very friendly. I would say that they are indifferent. I certainly would not put them in the same class as the Germans, who to me are the worst of the lot. But they certainly are not as friendly as the Dutch or the Australians.

One of our big surprises in Spain was the number of people who spoke English. Very few people know any English, we managed with the little Spanish my daughter knows. Considering the number of English speaking
tourists who visit Spain every year, this low level of english really surprised us.

In summary, we found Spain a beautiful and safe country to visit and enjoyed our 3 weeks there. Camping in Spain is also not a problem. We stayed the whole period in tents, but at the 3 star ones.

Will be glad to answer any questions from would be travellers.

Thanks to all who helped.

Adios

Lalit

#60671 - 08/14/01 10:34 AM Re: Just back from my 3 weeks in Sain
mcpespo Offline

Lalit--
Given the topic area, where did you stay?
MC

#60672 - 08/26/01 02:05 PM Re: Just back from my 3 weeks in Sain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Lalit, thanks for sharing your trip with us. I really like your observation of the Spanish. "Indifferent" is pretty accurate; and well they should be. We all love the idea that you travel to a place and are welcomed with open arms by the people that live there. Mostly though, people live their lives irregardless, which is just fine..

#60673 - 08/27/01 03:31 AM Re: Just back from my 3 weeks in Sain
Anonymous
Unregistered

As for the number of people who know English, most spanish under 40 have studied English at high school or equivalent centers for years.

But, if you have studied spanish/franch in your country, you can imagine how do they feel when asked to speak in a languge they didn't ever know well enough, and that they gave off studying years ago and have not practiced since.

Besides, the way English is taught in Spain makes special remark on writing/reading, and grammar, paying scarce attention to speaking/listening.

So, if you ever need help and want to communicate, better write the question and show it to them.

#60674 - 08/27/01 04:46 AM Re: Just back from my 3 weeks in Sain
jer Offline

Loc: madrid, spain... the plaza may...
Or, try learning Spanish! After all, you are in their country. Many foreigners expect to come to Spain and have everyone speak to them and cater to them in English, NOT the way it should work in my book!

Saludos,

jer...

#60675 - 08/28/01 11:24 AM Re: Just back from my 3 weeks in Sain
Dan the Michigarian Offline

Loc: mi, u.s.
sounds like you had a nice trip! i posted my 3 weeks in spain too.

i did all right langage wise cuz i took a class one nigh a week. it came in real handy.

BUT. i highly suggest being cuatious to pick pockets at all time. especialy on the beach, never leave your stuff unattended.

no one is trying to scare any one, i could easily not post this, but i am just to warn people.

it happens. dont let it happen to you.

#60676 - 08/28/01 11:44 AM Re: Just back from my 3 weeks in Sain
Tia Offline

That´s a good point, jer.
You should try to learn at least the most common phrases. It doesn´t matter even if your pronunciation (or grammar) isn´t perfect, it´s the will that counts and it is highly appreciated by the locals.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, Lalit!
smile Tía

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: tiajohanna ]

#60677 - 08/28/01 01:56 PM Re: Just back from my 3 weeks in Sain
jer Offline

Loc: madrid, spain... the plaza may...
Hey tiajohanna, jer here.

Soooo true that effort to speak the native tongue being appreciated by the locals. I was in Greece last year and learned to say "please", "thank you", etc and although I surely butchered the pronunciation I could tell they appreciated my taking even the slightest interest in their language/culture laugh

Being fluent in Spanish and living here in Masris, the Spaniards reall y accept me as one of their own and I love that feeling.

Saludos,
jer...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments