Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#60582 - 07/22/01 10:38 PM Work in USA using Spanish?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi all-

I'm looking for a job in which I can use my Spanish and my many business skills, in the US, preferably in the Washington DC or NYC areas. Does anyone have any leads or ideas?

I have my degree in Spanish, teaching certification for secondary Spanish, and 6 1/2 years business world experience (health insurance). I'd like to switch gears to something more internationally-focused, but I've been in a bit of a bind finding the right place to look.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,

GG

#60583 - 07/23/01 04:08 PM Re: Work in USA using Spanish?
Jaime Offline

Hi Granada Girl,
I graduated with Spanish and International Studies and am in the same postion...looking for a internationally focused job. One thing that I'm hoping to do is a post graduation internship with our state senator's home office working on immigration casework. I was suprised to learn you could do internships after you're out of school but it is possible. Another student that graduated in my class had done an internship like this and it really got her foot in the door with alot of big name international companies. I'm hoping it will do the same for me.
I would think though that with a degree in Spanish and your real world busineess experience, any international company would consider you for a sales/account support postion. It seemed like mnay times I was considered for jobs I normally wouldn't be just for being bilingual. I posted my resume directly on many of these copmpanies sites and had a pretty good response. Buena Suerte!!

#60584 - 07/23/01 08:28 PM Re: Work in USA using Spanish?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
You may want to consider a career in the government. I recently began work with the FBI as a linguist.

If you've kept your nose clean while getting to this point in your life, you can count on interesting work, good pay, and government benefits. My work is freelance, but there are other opportunities. E-mail me privately if this interests you, and I'll give you more information.

As a word of caution to those on this board...I know who you are (at least your screen names!), and I will investigate all viewpoints contrary to those espoused by the U.S. Government that are posted on this site. :p

#60585 - 07/24/01 04:08 AM Re: Work in USA using Spanish?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is that a menace? Or are you just joking?

#60586 - 07/24/01 05:36 PM Re: Work in USA using Spanish?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Are you asking for yourself or for a friend? laugh

#60587 - 07/24/01 05:47 PM Re: Work in USA using Spanish?
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
this is the best site in the world and i can't believe i'm giving it away, but hey... you give a little and you get a little back...
http://www.latpro.com

enjoy and good luck!

-roses

#60588 - 07/26/01 12:53 PM Re: Work in USA using Spanish?
Jaime Offline

Hi Roses,
I've been signed up on Latpro for about a year now and I've been kind of disappointed because most of the jobs they send me are in Florida, California or Texas. I've also gotten a lot for Mexico. I guess it would be great if you lived in one these areas. I don't think I've ever seen a job posting for my area(Midwest)...I wonder why????

Anyways, here's another site www.bilingualjobs.com

Like Latpro, most jobs are in the heavy concentrated Latino states but sometimes they have postings for other areas.

#60589 - 07/27/01 10:50 AM Re: Work in USA using Spanish?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Jaime- What kind of a site is that? It carries a bit of a misnomer, as it would more appropriately be labeled www.affirmativeaction.com or maybe www.whitemalesneednotapply.com. Is this some sort of a "no white males" soup counter? And I thought we'd made strides against racial segregation and in favor of gender equity...

Sad thing is, I'd put my bilingual Spanish capabilities up against ANY American-born individual who didn't have the benefit of a Spanish-speaking family or friends...and most likely be as or more qualified. I'm apparently good enough for official government business, but since I'm not a "minority" or a woman, I won't even be allowed to respond to those jobs on bilingualjobs.com. Hmmm...

CaliBasco [Who doesn't want you to take this post personally, and will kindly step off his soapbox and close his big mouth now]

#60590 - 07/27/01 02:55 PM Re: Work in USA using Spanish?
Jaime Offline

Hola Calibasco,
When I signed up for bilingualjobs.com they had a differnt format and didn't have any of that minority stuff there. I actually hadn't realized they had changed it until after I posted it here and checked it out again. I think sometimes sites do that to encourage minorities to apply but inadvertently discourage others. Quien sabe?

Anyways, most of the jobs that I've been sent from Lat Pro and Bilingual jobs have been customer service type stuff, which basically means telemarketing in Spanish. Not my calling!!

[Jaime] girl who has clicked on Calibasco's fictitious websites too many times...

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: Jaime ]

#60591 - 07/30/01 09:58 AM Re: Work in USA using Spanish?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Je je je... smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments