MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#60403 - 06/21/01 08:40 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Antonio,

I realize you didn't mean that all Americans are "bad people." But I still wonder why you think that people who disagree with you are bad? Aren't people entitled to their own opinion?

Voltaire said; "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend unto my death, your right to say it."

The quote may not be exact, but I think you get the meaning.

Wolf (A person shows the same teeth when they smile as they do when they snarl.)
mad laugh

#60404 - 06/21/01 12:41 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Hey Antonio--

I agree with you! I am against the death penelty here and everywhere else. Its not on any humanitarian grounds (McVeigh deserved what he got), but rather on individual's rights vs. the State. No government should have the power to decree that one of its citizens is undeserving of life and therefor should be eliminated. This is an over-reach of State power and an abuse of authority. Also, since any system of justice is imperfect (since it is made up of people, who are inherently imperfect)having a punishment as final and irreversable as death is wrong.

It is interesting that here in the US, conservatives generally believe that government institutions are inefficient and constantly making problems instead of solutions. That is, except when it comes to the administration of capital punishment. Here, the government never makes a mistake!

When I look at who our "allies" in the pro-death penalty camp are (China, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, et. al.), I know the US is on the wrong side on this one.

#60405 - 06/21/01 12:57 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Antonio, there have been several arguments in support of your comments. I happen to be deeply concerned about the environment and agree that the U.S. should be an example - not because of position of power, but because it is the correct thing to do. I also think there are a number of other crucial issues that deserve attention, of which the environment is only one.

I can't remember who did this, but I don't think you can juxtapose India to the U.S. in terms of pollution and environmental responsibility. Nor can you compare Canada, whose population is so much smaller the potential pollution is laughable compared to ours.

anyway, as a side note, at my last job, my boss - a conservative Republican who runs everyday and doesn't eat red meat because its unhealthy - made fun of me for being an environmentalist. I told her you can run everyday and not smoke and stuff, but if everything you eat, breathe and drink has carcinogens, you are going to die just as quickly.

Like it or not, we are all connected and should be mindful of each other. I also strongly believe that there should always BALANCE in everything in life - economy, environment, concern for humanity. In some ways we may be behind European countries, (and I it is not an issue Bush is interested in championing) but environmental consciousness is a fairly new thing. The first time I went to Europe (15 yrs ago) they were discussing severe industrial pollution in the rivers and air (Paris is nowhere close to smog-free). So, be patient, we'll get there soon, and let's keep a dialogue going. smile

#60406 - 06/21/01 01:24 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Group hug! laugh

#60407 - 06/21/01 02:35 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Wolf Offline

Antonio,

Actually I agree with you too. I would like to see the death penalty abolished. I've always been against it.

I also want to see the U.S. become more pro-active in saving our ecology. In fact, I believe the U.S. should take a stand that they intend to do far more than the Kyoto Protocol ever envisioned, and act as a leader through example, showing everyone that we can do it because it's the right thing to do. Not because it's an agreement we signed, and are forced to live up to it. Especially when the agreement itself falls far short of our worldly obligation.

Asterault said it all with the fewest words possible.

"Group hug."

Wolf (Trying not to lift his arms too high, forgot to put on deodorant this morning.)

eek

#60408 - 06/22/01 10:42 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Wendy E Offline

I neither agree nor disagree, I sincerely want to know why Kyoto hasn't been implemented by any of the countries who appear to want it most.

#60409 - 06/23/01 12:16 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Wolf Offline

Antonio,

Why don't you answer Wendy's question for her? She's asked it three times now. Since you're so "anti-U.S." on the Kyoto Protocol issue I would assume you can give her a valid answer.

Wolf (Who thinks this thread has really deteriorated and should be eliminated.)

#60410 - 06/23/01 12:16 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Wolf Offline

Antonio,

Why don't you answer Wendy's question for her? She's asked it three times now. Since you're so "anti-U.S." on the Kyoto Protocol issue I would assume you can give her a valid answer.

Wolf (Who thinks this thread has really deteriorated and should be eliminated.)

#60411 - 06/23/01 02:05 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: Nicole ]

#60412 - 06/23/01 02:07 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Antonio, the results that you found are the same reason that my views towards capital punishment have changed profoundly in the last few years.

I never gave it an enormous amount of thought and even remember myself saying that I didn't want to bank roll some sociopath for the rest of his/her life if they could not be treated an rehabilitated .
During the last few years I started to read huge amounts of information about the racism/classism that underlies the application of capital punishment. statistically, as many whites as hispanics an blacks engage in unlawful behavior, but people of color and poor people are hugely more likely to be imprisoned and sentenced to death. With DNA testing, so many sentences have been overturned. It has really made me reevaluate my opinion on the issue. I think it is the same thing that is happening to a lot of estadounidenses, and is the reason the polls show a dramatic shift recently against the death penalty.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments