Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#60325 - 06/04/01 12:02 PM Reporting Back
Gurley12 Offline

Loc: Holt, MI 48842
I just returned from 10 days in Spain and have a few recommendations and a few places to avoid.

First off, let me say that of all of the places we visited (Madrid, Segovia and Barcelona)...Barcelona was by far our favorite! No offense MAdridMan smile ! I would highly recommend that anyone going to Spain make a stop off in Barcelona...it is the coolest city. It has everything MAdrid has plus the mountains and the Medditerranean coast which is absolutely gorgeous.

Recommendations:

Hotel Extremadura - in Caceres
Hostal Levante - Barcelona
easyrentacar.com - Barcelona...we rented a car for one day and they were GREAT!
Tosa de Mar - an hour north of Barcelona...rent a car and make the drive ... it is well worth!

Avoid:

Hotel Regente - Madrid

HOpe this info. helps.

Thanks to everyone who helped us plan a wonderful trip...we will be back!

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#60326 - 06/04/01 08:03 PM Re: Reporting Back
mabella Offline

Loc: miami, fl. usa
gurly, I agree. We so debated whether or not to include Barcelona on our trip since we didn't want to spend most of the time driving. Everyone in our party agreed Barcelona was there favorite. We even rearranged our itineary to stay an extra day in Barcelona. We're so glad we decided to visit this vibrant, exciting city.

#60327 - 06/06/01 04:56 AM Re: Reporting Back
sugi Offline

I was in barcelona and madrid recently and i too loved barcelona. I totally agree that the city is the coolest. Its amazing the fashion plates that were on the streets, paris pales by comparison. I loved the fact that there was so much to do and see, that somehow four days there did not seem enough. I will definitely return to barcelona one day. meanwhile i have my photos and clothes i got there for memories. :-)

#60328 - 06/06/01 05:14 AM Re: Reporting Back
marval96 Offline

Loc: Maryland
You mentioned to avoid the Hotel Regente , in Madrid. Can you explain in more detail?
We are leaving tomorrow to go to Madrid for a couple of weeks and in our way back (on the 22nd) we have RESERVATIONS at Hotel Regente ! prior to returning to the US.
Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks confused

#60329 - 06/06/01 07:43 AM Re: Reporting Back
viajero Offline

It's funny, I logged on today planning to post the same type of thing. I also just got back from 10 days in Spain. Here are some observations:

1. When I first booked the trip, I asked on this board if anyone had any experience with Travelplan, which is Air Europa's travel agency. Apparently, no one did, since I got no replies. Let me just say that I highly recommend them. The package (round-trip airfare from JFK, 5 nights Madrid, 5 nights Barcelona, round trip flight from Madrid to Barcelona, all transfers) was a great deal. Air Europa's flights were good, and our transfers consisted of a driver waiting for us at each airport to take us to the hotel in a new Mercedes.

2. In Madrid, we stayed at the Crowne Plaza . VERY nice hotel, with a great location, right at the beginning of the Gran Via.

3. As for Madrid itself, I'm glad I had the experience, however I was a little disappointed. My biggest complaint is that the city is not at all tourist-friendly. There are no street-signs pointing out major tourist attractions. It's hard to find any signs, maps, or menus that are not in Spanish. Fortunately, I speak Spanish and have a decent sense of direction. But I feel that if you don't speak Spanish and are not much of a map-reader, it will be hard for you to enjoy Madrid.

4. Just as an aside: what's with all the smoking and ham? It's hard to believe that Eurpoeans can be healthy.

5. Barcelona, on the other hand, is GREAT! What a beautiful city. It has the cosmopolitan feel of Paris, with the delicious Mediterranean food, mountains AND beaches, and plenty to see. As opposed to Madrid, it is extremely tourist friendly. The city runs Bus Turistic, which takes tourists on a trip around the city to all the main attractions and gives you a coupon book with discounts on all of them. Everrything is pointed out clearly in Spanish, Catalan, and English. The hotles and restaurants have brochures with maps and tourist attractions. It's just a much more attractive city. I will definitely be back.
That's all I can think of for now. Hopefully I will post more observations later.

#60330 - 06/06/01 10:40 AM Re: Reporting Back
Luces de Bohemia Offline

I have to defend Madrid. When I went to Barcelona I didn't feel I was in Spain. It is so different that it was like being in another country. Madrid has a turist bus too, and I believe it is pretty good. Plus, there are turism offices where very nice people will help you. People in Madrid were more friendly than people in Barcelona.
My experience was much better in Madrid that in Barcelona. I went back to Madrid tons of times but I have not desire to visit Barcelona in a long time.

#60331 - 06/06/01 01:01 PM Re: Reporting Back
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
I have to agree with Luces de Bohemia, well somewhat... I've never been to Madrid before, but I have been to Barcelona, and I couldn't stand it. I mean, it was beautiful and all, except that horrible run-down olympic village, but I never got the sense of old Spain. I could be wrong, but there was no Flamenco dancing, no bull-fighting (not like I agree with that), and no HOT sun... (too many clouds). I think that the life in Catayluna is much different from the life in southern Spain. Most people who love Barcelona, don't like Madrid and vice versa. Different strokes for different folks, but I will say... Madrid is closer to some of the most beautiful cities in the world: Toledo, Granada, Seville, Lisbon, (I am missing some), but you get my drift. Yes, the ocean is beautiful, but so is the Plaza Mayor in Seville. I'm so looking forward to my trip, I can't wait.
The sun, late nights, good food, the language, history, and the beauty of Spain is just around the corner...and I'm counting down the days... just 19 more. laugh -roses

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

#60332 - 06/06/01 03:09 PM Re: Reporting Back
LaProfesora Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Yes, let's talk about some of the other cities in Spain...better yet, let's just talk about Sevilla! wink If you never get south of Madrid, you are missing sooooo much. It was Sevilla (and Andalucia in general) that really captured me, and transformed me into this obsessed, "I must return to Spain as soon as possible!!!" crazy woman! I have never seen such beauty and color contained in one place. There is something unique about the Andalucian aesthetic...must be thanks to all those cultures bumping into each other and mingling over the centuries...you absolutely drown in the beauty of it. There is such gorgeous artwork in even the most mundane of places. (For example...anyone ever been to the train station in Jerez??? Did you see the facade of the building? Wow.) There is truly no place on earth like southern Spain.

#60333 - 06/08/01 06:54 PM Re: Reporting Back
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I have not been to Barcelona yet, but having just got back from Madrid,I can't agree with the comment that are no street signs to tourist attractions. Every major corner was signposted and were easy to follow. We took the Madrid Vision Tour Bus, you pay 1600pts for all 3 tours. 1. Monuments 2.Historical 3. Modern. You can hop on and off at any of the stops to visit the sights and my favourite was the Palace, but what a waste, 2800 rooms and none of them are occupied! The views of the city from this area were something else! Also with the bus you are given a map covering the 3 tours and a discount booklet for the many attractions, well worth every pesata. We stayed just behind the Palace Hotel and from here it was just a short walk to Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, and several museums.
We also did our own tapas crawl each night (on the way to meet our daughter who is staying on Paseo Delicias). Well, I wish I didn't have to come home but here I am re-living every moment and looking forward to my next trip to sunny Spain. cool

#60334 - 06/08/01 08:05 PM Re: Reporting Back
SpainSpud Offline

Just a quick comment as I, too, am back from a month long trip to Spain (Barcelona included) and wil give a fuller report, later.

In either city, there is a bus tour that gives you a very fast and efficient orientation (maps and all, included) with a "hop-off-hop-on-as-you-like-as-often-as-you-like" feature for one price (something like 2400 pesetas) the whole day. The bus stops for this special and regular tour are well marked and within an hour or two, you should be very well oriented to the city centers and environs. Tour Madrid/Barcelona and Bus Touristic are the two flavors of this type of tour and either should do the job. No excuse to be disoriented!! North/South/East/West - that's all it is. ;-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments