Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#60030 - 04/17/01 10:25 AM MadridMan, wha't up with the member rating?
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
Hello MadridMan:

What's the point of the member rating system? What exactly is it and what is the criteria? I have received three votes already, and not sure from who? Just wanted to know a little bit about it... I have been voted or rated with four stars, but how would someone feel if they were rated with one or two stars? I think that we would lose them from the site.

-roses

#60031 - 04/17/01 10:49 AM Re: MadridMan, wha't up with the member rating?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
I agree, roses. The same thing has happened to Wolfgang and his four stars, who, as well as helping everyone where he can, is also rivaling CaliBasco for the funniest and most entertaining poster on this board.

I don't see we can fail to rate EVERYONE who contributes with full marks, unless they are rude (rare) or people who throw jamones and park on top of lunching couples in the Retiro park (now he DID deserve a no star rating!).

Can you disable this feature of the otherwise perfect board?

#60032 - 04/17/01 11:13 AM Re: MadridMan, wha't up with the member rating?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Okay everybody. THIS is where your opinion counts. SPEAK UP with pros and cons. If we have more cons than pros I'll be happy to disable the rating system (if I can, that is -- and I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...).

The rating system feature came with the software and really doesn't serve any important puprose, more of a merit system to designate particulary helpful/knowledgeable members.
Here's what it states and our choices:

Display Member Ratings?:
Registered members may rate each other on a scale of 1 to 5. Individual members may elect to hide their ratings from public view, even if you activate this feature.

*Yes, permit member ratings. Show all ratings.
*Yes, but only show ratings for top-rated members.
*No, deactivate this feature entirely.

I agree that some people with less than 5-stars (because you know, hehe.. we can't ALL be perfect. ahem! hehe... ;)) might feel slighted, embarrassed, or unapreciated (what, isn't anyone married here? hehe..) so let me/us what you think! Now's your time to speak up (not that any of you held back before. ;)).

Your vote counts here! (unlike during election day. DOH!)

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 04-17-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#60033 - 04/17/01 11:25 AM Re: MadridMan, wha't up with the member rating?
billy ski Offline

Loc: long beach New York USA
I don't think very much of the new system. I see regular contributors like Anchovy,Wolf,Nicole Calibasco,MClarke,Cantabene and of course Antonio who to me make up the backbone of this site.These people deserve the 5 star ratings they recieved. Then I see some people who have offered information twice or asked 3 questions and they are now wearing 5 stars. Who voted for them other than themselves and that is ludicrous.Get rid of the system or revise the voting procedure to reflect the effort and knowledge offered altruistically by specific individuals.Thanx to these legit 5 starrers this site is a sucess.Rethink ,Revise or Revoke.

#60034 - 04/17/01 11:46 AM Re: MadridMan, wha't up with the member rating?
connie Offline

Mhm, now it gets tricky if we start to differentiate between worthy and not worthy "5-starrers", such kinds of lists would necessarily be arbitrary and leave out other persons who have tried to provide all the information they have, I could add quite a few more persons such as for example rgf who has provided so much useful information in the past, and there are many, many others, too many to name! I would have no problem if everyone had 5 stars, except for -as anchovy says- people who file strange comments just to confuse others. And I would think that the persons you mention neither feel insulted about being thrown into the 5 star category with other people. I would be more concerned if some weirdos would use that function to spoil this board's atmosphere and give unfair and insulting ratings just for the sake of it. So maybe that is a point to bear in mind...

[ 04-17-2001: Message edited by: connie ]

#60035 - 04/17/01 12:19 PM Re: MadridMan, wha't up with the member rating?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Hey thanks for those nice words, Connie, espec. since I've been short on advice recently. I DID post something on the Galicia thread today, tho! And only two people rated me. I guess we aren't into the star system, eh MM? MM, speaking of travels.... um... speak to me.

#60036 - 04/17/01 12:28 PM Re: MadridMan, wha't up with the member rating?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
First, let me say thanks for the supporting words...I'll make sure my wife knows that there are people in the world who find me entertaining...

My suggestion is that, if possible, we open the rating system only to those who are full-fledged members. I realize that this may skew the "rating" to those who've spent the most time on the board, but perhaps it would deter the casual voter with an agenda. You really only need post 20 times... so maybe it would also coax those "observers" to become more active.

Even if I got one star, I'd still post...I'm sure that for those who really know and care, the only rating you care about is the personal one you have for each member.

#60037 - 04/17/01 12:30 PM Re: MadridMan, wha't up with the member rating?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I was kind of curious about the value of the rating but really didn't give it alot of thought. I try to read all new posts and wouldn't not read something because a member isn't rated 5 stars. For one thing I'm new and inexperienced about Spain travel so my Spain comments may not rate 5 stars, but oh well, I'm still going to participate when I can add/ask something. To be honest..I have seen this on other websights and thought it tacky but MM has been so valuable and interesting..I don't see the stars!

#60038 - 04/17/01 01:32 PM Re: MadridMan, wha't up with the member rating?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It's looking pretty unanimous, but will give it until the day to "get all the votes in" and then will "take action"! This message board is more YOURS than mine, afterall. And as we all know, the mob rules. hehehe.. wink But you are a wonderful mob and I wouldn't trade any of one you for 1,000 ham-leg-swingers or Retiro-Park-car-parkers!! laugh (I can only imagine what the new members must thing of these older references).
Keep those votes/opinions coming!!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#60039 - 04/17/01 01:35 PM Re: MadridMan, wha't up with the member rating?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Well if this is the time to add my two cents... I am not too keen on the rating system either...I agree with some others that it may dissuade some new members from posting comments, and to tell the truth, I was a little self-concious about my comments after the rating system was installed, (remember how sensitive I can be MM frown )
Anyway, I feel everyone here is invaluable, whether you are asking the questions or giving the advice, we all learn something, don't we(?), and you can't beat the entertaiment value!! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2266 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments