Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#59986 - 04/16/01 03:43 PM Lost Friend
Bill M. Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio,USA
I have lost contact with a Spanish friend. We were good friends from aprox. 77-85. His name is Emilio M. Acevedo and although he lived in the Cheuca area of Madrid for many years, he moved to Avila in the late 80's. He speaks English with a Brittish accent because he spent many years in Brighton Beach,UK. He is a talented tailor. He was not married. He has a married sister in Madrid who I never met. I haven't heard from him since about 87 and he does not know I moved from LI, NY to Cleveland, Ohio. Can anyone help me or know what I could do? I'm taking off for Madrid tomorrow, Apr,17.

#59987 - 04/16/01 04:19 PM Re: Lost Friend
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hmm.. I just used the Páginas Blancas website for Spain and got nothing for Avila (province of and city of), but got a possible for Madrid. Do you know what the M. stands for in his name? María maybe? Do you know what his second last name is?

Anyway, for Madrid (city of and province of), there's one of EMILIO ACEVEDO OLIVERA as well as a EMILIO ARIAS ACEVEDO.

You can use the same, above website and try other provinces one-by-one (a long, tedious task), but am afraid the phone book won't be much help for Madrid with so many unlisted (maybe using mobile phone only) and abbreviated listings. You may have some more luck IN Avila with the phone book with fewer residents, but I don't think we have anyone registered here from Avila.

Anyone else have any information on how he could find this person before he leaves tomorrow?? Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#59988 - 04/16/01 05:05 PM Re: Lost Friend
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I searched for tailors in Avila in the Spain yellow pages, and found 5, but none by that name. Perhaps you could (if you speak Spanish) call one of them and ask? It seems possible tailors are a small enough group to keep tabs on one another!

Do you know his sister's name? Even married, she would have kept part or all of it, right?

Best of luck!
Tara

#59989 - 04/16/01 06:02 PM Re: Lost Friend
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Bill,

In Spain we use two surnames and therefore we need both to be able to do a successful search. So what's his full name? "Emilio M....... Acevedo.

#59990 - 04/16/01 06:04 PM Re: Lost Friend
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
These online white pages aren't always the most reliable, either. I've entered in exact names of people who I know are living in the particualr province, but came back as no matches on this site.

I suggest that since you're going to Spain shortly, that you take a trip to Avila (even if your friend isn't there...it's worth a trip) and check the local listings, etc.

#59991 - 04/16/01 08:40 PM Re: Lost Friend
Bill M. Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio,USA
Thanks to everyone who has tried to help. I already went the white pages route. I don't know (or is it remember) what the M stands for. He adopted the English way with his name after living there.Wish me luck while I'm there. I will even walk around the old neighborhood and ask around (as best I can).

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1859 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments