Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59966 - 04/09/01 05:04 PM La zeta
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
We saw the new movie Spy Kids this weekend, and it looks like someone (maybe Antonio Banderas - the father of the Cortez kids in this story?) may be trying to do his part to support la zeta. In one scene, as the Bad Guy leans over Banderas in a menacing manner, he spits out a nasty comment, ending with "Señor CorteTH!" with a nice strong emphasis on the TH! Someone (¿un español?) must have started a discussion on the set!

[ 04-09-2001: Message edited by: Diana ]

#59967 - 04/09/01 07:29 PM Re: La zeta
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hooray for la zeta!

Is the legend about some king of Spain having a lisp true? I think I heard somewhere that, because the king said "theta," the courtiers also affected this manner of pronunciation. It sounds like a made-up story, but I have learned that much of TRUE Spanish history sounds like it must have been made up (now that I think of it, much of world history seems a bit too odd to have been real!). wink

#59968 - 04/10/01 11:23 AM Re: La zeta
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I've heard the same legend...and although it isn't based in fact, it is better than fact. I think Eddie posted on this elsewhere on the board.

All of you Bond fans may remember the opening scene in The World is Not Enough being set in Bilbao. I was pleased with that movie as well, as the "Spanish-speakers" also used the "zeta". They were the "Ertzainas" (Basque police) who broke into the office. It's always good to hear a director's done his/her homework and has gotten the accent right.

#59969 - 04/10/01 12:13 PM Re: La zeta
Miguelito Offline

Although the sound /z/ is the most correct for letter z and ce,ci the RAE also acepts as correct the sound /s/ as it's so extended.
The reason I heard about why sound /s/ it's so extended in America is that the ships to America left at Seville, so people spent a lot of time there before emigrating, and they got a Sevillian accent before leaving. So I supose the sound /z/ was the original one, I never heard about that story. Originally there were also different sounds for b/v and y/ll, I like very much the /ll/ sound although I can hardly do it and it's almost loose everywhere but some places in Castilla. The RAE doesn't accept a diferent sound for /v/ nowadays. They don't accept also the sound /z/ for letter s that is done in some places as it's not so much extended.
Don't you find the sound of Spanish here in Madrid and Castilla very hard?
I found the south talking more sweet, overall in Canary Island and Southamerica.

#59970 - 04/11/01 04:20 AM Re: La zeta
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
Now I know why we do not pronounce the Z and V in America. B and V are pronounced the same, and we always have problems in spelling with those letters, not so much a problem with S and Z because there are less words with Z.
Some movies and most of the tv programs from other languages are translated with an American accent because with a Castillian accent the strong pronunciation of the V and Z will disturb the audience, as people are not used to that pronunciation they pay more attention to how nice do they pronounce and get lost in the story.

Rafael

#59971 - 04/11/01 11:13 AM Re: La zeta
kbl Offline

OK, I'm confused. I grew up in the US, with a Spanish-speaking abuelita (from Spain - originally, Salamanca). She used the Castillian zeta and the ll, but I don't recall that she made any distinction in sound between B and V. What is the difference?

#59972 - 04/12/01 04:31 PM Re: La zeta
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Phonetically, there is no difference between /b/ and /v/. They are both bilabial sounds that are "no sonoros". In other words, when you put your fingers on your voice box and pronounce /b/ or /v/, you won't get a "rattle".

#59973 - 04/13/01 09:16 AM Re: La zeta
rkennedy17 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Regarding the B & V sounds -- they are not exactly the same sound, although it certainly appears that way...

The sound made by the letter "B" is identical to English, but the "V" (as I was taught) is slightly different: to make the Spanish "V" you actually end up blowing a small amount of air between your lips, without them touching as they do in the B sound. (Try saying the word "bay" without having your lips come completely together)

Pretty subtle difference, although in casual conversation they pretty much sound the same. Some of you Spanish teachers may care to comment...?

#59974 - 04/13/01 09:39 AM Re: La zeta
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
It used to be a difference in the pronunciation of b and v in Spanish. However, nowadays they are both pronounced the same (at least in Spain) and I think it's exactly the same sound you have in English for the b.

Regards,

Antonio

#59975 - 04/13/01 10:32 AM Re: La zeta
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
In terms of the B and V difference, the person that said that its like saying "bay" without completely closing your lips, thats partially true. There are certain rules that go along with that, because that does not only pertain to the v, but also the b in certain cases.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments