MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5990 - 08/19/03 03:51 PM Madrid:QUIET + Safe hostals for solo trav
squeakr Offline

Loc: USA
Hi All

GREAT Service and site madridman!

I am overwhelmed by the choices in Hostals and inexpensive lodgings in Madrid. I'm looking for a place that will be quiet (no midnight revelers or loud street noise) and SAFE for a 35+ W travling on her own. As it will be in Sept I'd also like air conditioning. Any ideas???

THANKS!!

#5991 - 08/21/03 08:21 AM Re: Madrid:QUIET + Safe hostals for solo trav
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Hi squeakr,

Since no one has replied, I'll give you some of my opinions about places to stay.
First, if you're looking for air conditioning, all of the hostels I've ever stayed at in Madrid had air conditioning. The air doesn't get as cool as the air in the U.S., but the rooms are comfortable.
If you're looking for a real quiet place, then staying near the center of Madrid, i.e. Puerto del Sol, is not for you. However, even around the center, the noise isn't too bad, especially if you are at least four floors up. Also, generally, though not always, the street noise dies down at around 11 p.m. But there is the occasional noise from other people living in the same building as your hostel. For this, stay away from Hostal Dulcinea.
And finally, as for safety. The crimes I'm familiar with in Madrid are non-violent. I'm talking about pickpocketing and other schemes to get your money. In my opinion, these are a constant threat in Madrid. If you are always mindful of your valuables and about where you are in Madrid, you will minimize, not eliminate, the risk of falling victim to these types of crimes.

#5992 - 08/21/03 10:45 AM Re: Madrid:QUIET + Safe hostals for solo trav
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
For a quiet place to stay in Madrid, or anywhere....wear earplugs! Seriously, though, there is no need to avoid the center area completely. Hostal TIJCAL is on a pedestrian street off the Plaza Major, very quiet, and very nice, more like a hotel than a hostal. If you want to spend a little more money, try the Hotel Carlton which is near the Reina Sophia art museum, the Atocha train station and a 10 minute walk from the Prado. The rooms are quite nice, the service is great, the breakfast is a gourmet brunch, and that part of town is very quiet at night.

#5993 - 08/23/03 07:05 PM Re: Madrid:QUIET + Safe hostals for solo trav
ToniG Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
When in Sept will you be there? I have been in Madrid in Late Sept and did not need any AC. I also have traveled alone (and will be there again in late Sept this year!)and have not had any problems feeling safe. I suggest you find a hostal near where you think you want to spend your evenings despite the thought of noise, because you really can use those airline earplugs!!

#5994 - 08/24/03 02:12 PM Re: Madrid:QUIET + Safe hostals for solo trav
el viajero Offline

I usually stay at the Hostal Cruz Sol , on the Plaza Santa Cruz, near the Plaza Mayor. It's relatively quiet, and each room has its own AC with a remote control that lets you raise and lower the temperature to suit your own tastes. Plus, it's hard to beat the price: 36 euros per night for a clean, well-maintained (if smallish) room with its own bathroom.

Buen viaje!

#5995 - 09/06/03 07:39 PM Re: Madrid:QUIET + Safe hostals for solo trav
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I traveled alone last March to Spain and stayed at Hostal Chelo in Madrid. I don't know about the AC, but it was very comfortable and I never felt unsafe.

#5996 - 09/08/03 12:20 PM Re: Madrid:QUIET + Safe hostals for solo trav
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
What is your budget? I have a couple of suggestions but it's about 75 euros a night.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments