Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59933 - 04/04/01 03:52 AM Chinchon and Chueca
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
Does anybody knows the meaning of those words?
I speak Spanish, I was born in Peru, South America.
In Peru those words are slang

Chinchon is a swelling in the forehead by a blow

and Chueca or Chueco is a person who has bow legs, who walks like a cowboy.

Rafael

#59934 - 04/04/01 05:45 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
eek I was told by some madrileños that Chinchon was a slang term for a female's mammary glands. eek Maybe they were just joking with me. confused

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#59935 - 04/04/01 09:43 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I sure hope you're wrong MM. Since I have been asked to purchase six bottles of it!!If I mispronounce it when buying it, I'll die.

#59936 - 04/04/01 09:56 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hahahaha.... Okay. Okay. NOW I know what you're talking about. You were asked to purchase 6 bottles of Chinchon for someone.. was it our message board member in Missouri (or was it Omaha??), by chance?? I recall he was looking for that many too. Chinchon IS an old town (as if there is any other kind in Spain) near Madrid, but it's also a strong, clear/colorless alcohol of the same name.

Hopefully you weren't asked to make 6-purchases of/in Chueca too. You never what you're going to get there if you're not specific. eek hehehe... wink Chueca is a neighborhood in Madrid.

By the way, I spent 2 weeks with my ladyfriend (from Madrid) traveling through your fine homeland. JUST BEAUTIFUL!!! It was an eye-opening experience in many ways. I'm sure you're very proud. If interested/curious, you can view my 85 trip photos at the Club Photo website.

Saludos, MadridMan

(edited later) P.S. Oops. Sorry Nic. I did accidentally combine my answers to you and Rafael. Sorry. hehehe.. Yes. Lima, Ohio and Lima, Perú are very different.

[ 04-04-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#59937 - 04/04/01 10:13 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I sure hope you're kidding about my homeland. Lima, Peru and Lima, OH. Not quite the same. I've never heard anyone call Lima OH, beautiful....
ooops, you were talking about Rafeal

[ 04-04-2001: Message edited by: Nic ]

#59938 - 04/04/01 11:38 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Interesting to know about the variations of Spanish language both sides of the pond.

In Spain is "chichón" (without the n) and the person with bow legs is called "zambo".

#59939 - 04/04/01 11:58 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I know this is totally off topic, but those Peru pics are beautiful! Some of them are so incredible that they don't even look real - the Machupichu ones in particular! eek
Amazing!!!

And to add to the original topic, I don't know if anyone knows about this, but my parents play a card game with Spanish cards called Chinchon... confused Does anyone know of this game?

SusiLaGallega

#59940 - 04/04/01 06:24 PM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Sure it exists, EL chinchon is also a card game.

#59941 - 04/04/01 10:05 PM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Okay! Now we have the Lima situation straight. But which of the two is the home of the lima bean? rolleyes

Wolf

#59942 - 04/05/01 04:16 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
Well lima bean is a tropical american plant.
it grows from Southern Mexico till Peru and Brazil. According to the dictionary it was named after Lima, Peru.
In Peru a person who is a mix of black and native american is called "zambo"
Nice pictures, yes Peru is a beautiful country, next time go to the north of Peru and to the Amazon Jungla.

Rafael

#59943 - 04/05/01 07:38 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
nevado Offline

Chinchon, the card game is a 7-card Gin (card game smile )

#59944 - 04/05/01 08:06 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Rafa,

Thanks! I always wondered where those little green buggers were raised. I had no idea they came from that region. My gardening skills go as far as being able to pick up veggies at the grocery store for my wife, and half the time she thumps a melon, or squeezes a tomato and says I screwed that up too rolleyes

When I was young (that was last century), I enjoyed skiing. I always wanted to carve a trail down the side of a Peruvian mountain but to be honest, I would have probably ended up rolling 90% of the way down after falling.

Now what does this have to do with Chinchon? Nothing.... But when you get old like me.... your mind wanders. laugh

Incidentally, I am kind of partial to lima beans. smile

Wolf

#59945 - 04/06/01 04:52 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
Miguelito Offline

Chinchón is a town, the liquor from there is also called chinchón (like Cognac, Champaigne or Jerez are from those towns) it is a drink very similar to anissette.
In Spain, we call chichón to that swelling.
Chueca is a sirname, there was a compositor of zarzuelas very famous in which honour there is a square in Madrid.

#59946 - 04/06/01 10:56 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
Miguelito Offline

I'm sorry, I have just remembered that chueca has also a meaning, I couldn't look for it in the RAE dictionary but this is what it says in the vox one:

chueca (orig. desconocido; cat. soca; fr. souche)
1 f. Tocón (parte de tronco).
2 Juego entre dos bandos, cada uno de los cuales procura que una bola impelida por el contrario no pase la raya que señala su término.
3 fig. Burla, chasco.

II) chueca (v. chuca)
1 f. Hueso redondeado o parte de él que encaja en el hueco de otro en una coyuntura.
I forgot to repeat that chinchón is also a card game as Susi said

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments