Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#59911 - 05/13/01 07:41 AM Re: Naming a Spanish Restaurant
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Interesting choice of names. But, if the Chef is from Santander, wouldn't he be more inclined to cook the regional dishes of that area instead of the Costa Brava?

His cooking may very well be more along the lines of Basque traditional, and is more than likely those offered along the Costa Verde & Costa Vasca.

Having spent a great deal of time in different regions of Spain, we found the differences in preparation, and offerings, to be as diverse as those we find here in the US. As an example; crab cakes in Maryland, rarely found in the Midwest, jambalaya in Louisiana, difficult to find in Midwest. Southern cooking regional... same with the rest.

Oh well! I do refer to McDonald's as "Mac's Steak house." smile

Wolf

#59912 - 05/13/01 07:26 PM Re: Naming a Spanish Restaurant
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Wolf, I know what you are saying, and I believe the chef will be bringing some of his regional specialties with him...As for the name, the owners chose Costa Brava, because it is a recognizable name and has a conotation of Spain...
Here in Southern California, there are a few Spanish restaurants, but people still associate it with Mexican cuisine...The little they do know of Spain must be represented in the menu so they can recognize what they order...Believe me, we want to educate as well as serve great food, so that said, the menu will be somewhat typical...
I'm thinking of organizing chef dinners where the regional flavors can be paired with great wines, and the chef can "go crazy" introducing "new" food to the local palate...

So, what offerings are a MUST HAVE on a Spanish menu!?

[ 05-13-2001: Message edited by: laduque ]

#59913 - 05/13/01 11:52 PM Re: Naming a Spanish Restaurant
Wolf Offline

That's a good point on Costa Brava. But to the average person, does it really tell them it's Spanish vs Mexican? The only people who would recognize the difference would be those who actually knew that Costa Brava is in Spain.

So, even if you get past the coastal cuisine differences, you still haven't resolved the problem about getting lumped into the category of having a Mexican restaurant.

I think you're going to have to show people in the name, that you serve Spanish food, and even then, there are many who still won't recognize the difference, and obviously you want them to recognize the difference.

Just my thoughts.

Wolf smile

#59914 - 05/14/01 10:10 AM Re: Naming a Spanish Restaurant
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Wolf, they'd have to call it Espana then, or La Casa de Espana.

#59915 - 05/14/01 10:46 AM Re: Naming a Spanish Restaurant
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It's probably too late for suggestions, but how about, simply, "La Cocina Española"? (The Spanish Kitchen)

Most people recoginize "Cocina" as "kitchen" because of the high number of ITALIAN restaurant having "Cucina" in their name. And everyone knows what "Española" means.

Good luck to your friend with his restaurant! Saludos, MadridMan smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#59916 - 05/14/01 11:36 AM Re: Naming a Spanish Restaurant
Wolf Offline

Both Nic & MadridMan have offered valuable options. In both cases, the names tell everyone out front exactly what the origin of the food is.

According to advertising gurus, the single most important advertisement that you will ever have is the name you give your business. Being able to identify what you offer as part of your name is key to success.

Wolf smile

#59917 - 05/14/01 11:41 PM Re: Naming a Spanish Restaurant
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I was at dinner with laduque when she broke the news to me...it seems the financial partner had final say in the name...so he went with Costa Brava...personally I would have chosen Altamira, but I wasn't funding the venture, even though laduque liked that name much better. I'm sure that with a little word-of-mouth the restaurant will do just fine. Location is also important, and I surely hope that they won't need to sell out to chips and salsa like Allegria in Long Beach. Come to think of it, Allegria isn't even Spanish...it's like Gitano and Italian or something...

If you get a niche and serve great food, you'll survive. This point was driven home last night as I dined at El Centro Basco in Chino, CA. They've been at the same location for 61 years...and the place was buzzing last night...on Mother's Day!

I for one plan to be at the opening...and every time I'm in San Diego I'll expect my table to be waiting!!! ¡Suerte, laduque!, and keep us al día with the plans!

#59918 - 05/15/01 12:44 AM Re: Naming a Spanish Restaurant
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Thank you Calibasco for the kind words...you surely will be on the guest list for the opening night gala!!!!
Anyhow, Calibasco is right, the financial partner does have the last word...
Just to let you all know, San Diego is pretty savvy at differentiating between Spanish and Mexican, and the proper title for the restaurant is: Costa Brava, cocina española. so that may be a clue to the clueless.

My husband will be running the establishment with our friend, both Spaniards, both worked at Cafe Sevilla in the early years, and because of them, helped make a name for Spanish food in San Diego, my husband has managed La Gran Tapa( the other Spanish restaurant in town) and both are well connected with the Spanish community here in town. I have no doubt that when one walks into their restaurant, they will know they are in a Spanish place and not something else....(Sorry, Wolf, I'm starting to sound defensive), There will be no compromise here...no chips and salsa or nachos!!!!Puro español!!!

As for my previous post, I want to hear what would interest you most, you spanophiles, as to what you feel is a must have on our menu?!!! smile

[ 05-15-2001: Message edited by: laduque ]

#59919 - 05/15/01 05:49 AM Re: Naming a Spanish Restaurant
nevado Offline

I'll put my vote in for Fabadas. I know San Diego's weather really doesn't scream Fabadas, but I couldn't resist. I'll order them! How about some Berenjenas Rellenas y pimientos rellenos. Yummy! I love migas as well. Wow, now I'm hungry! Please, oh please try and get real Casera- nothing like a propper tinto de verano in S.D.!
I'd also love to see arroz con leche and natillas (are those too "menu del día")? Ok, I realize most of my suggestions are "winter" foods, I'm sure you're looking for lighter things? How about crema de melón, bacalao fresco con salsa de marisco...I'll come up with more later- I must go make dinner now! smile

#59920 - 05/15/01 06:19 AM Re: Naming a Spanish Restaurant
Shimano Offline

Here are some suggestions:

- Morcilla de Burgos sobre base de repollo
- Pintada (similar to poulet) en salsa
- Menestra de verduras a la riojana(mixed assorted vegetables with small lamb pieces)
- Niscalos con picadillo (minced assorted pork with orange fungus)
- Mollejas con setas de cardo (beef entrails with mushrooms)

I don't know if these dishes can fit (their origin is northern Castilla Leon), but they are delicious

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1566 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments