MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#59891 - 06/13/01 03:48 PM Re: foreigner banking matters
seul6 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Addendum.....

I have contacted Patagon and la Caixa by email, and I can open a savings account via the internet. How safe is it to do such transaction via the internet? I am planning to open a sizable amount so I have to be careful. Thanks.

#59892 - 06/13/01 04:12 PM Re: foreigner banking matters
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Starting September 15th 2001 all banks accounts will be automatically converted to Euros. This won't make any difference since we won't be able to get any Euros in cash until January 1st 2002. However, you'll get all the information in the new currency.

#59893 - 06/14/01 12:47 PM Re: foreigner banking matters
picara Offline

Loc: New Mexico, USA
seul6--
I'm interested to hear how it works out for you.

Here's some thoughts: I wouldn't send that much money over the internet. Instead, would it be possible to have your bank transfer the money electronically? We did so into a friend's acct in Madrid. The transaction cost...ummm.... 0.005% of the amount we transferred. Of course, to do this, you'll need to have your acct. already "set up."

Please lmk--I may follow your lead and set up an acct. through the internet as well. Now is DEFINITELY the time! laugh

picara

#59894 - 06/28/01 05:05 PM Re: foreigner banking matters
victoria Offline

Loc: Canary Islands
Regarding opening a non-resident account: before I had my residency, I opened an non-resident account first with BCH and then Banco Santander (now they're joined, so it's one and the same). They didn't ask for a minimum to open, and the only thing they wanted to see was my passport and put in an address outside of Spain. At the end of the fiscal year, they sent me a form (to my US address) to sign. Basically it stated that I was still a non-resident. This was, apparently, so that they they would not retain any taxes on interest or something like that. Anyway, I think you can open a non-resident account in all banks. As for opening a joint account with a Spaniard-- it is illegal, due to the fact that a non-resident pays no taxes in Spain.

#59895 - 06/29/01 11:08 AM Re: foreigner banking matters
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
That is right, the key resides on stating that you are non resident that wants to open a non-resident account. But if you tell your story...something like I live in Spain I don't have the residence card but I want to open an account the answer will be no way.

In fact one of the fiscal reports Bank of Spain likes most from the banks is the PNR balance listing (Non resident account balances)

Nevertheless,remember that the case of a US national and a EU national are totally different, the later should have no problem at all in opening a nonresident account.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments