Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59830 - 03/22/01 04:56 PM laundrymats in Madrid
Espejo Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I tried the search feature to find an answer to this question and was unsuccessful. Maybe you can help me... I am going to Spain this June (12 days)with a group of 16 students and we'll be spending 5 nights in Madrid, near the Plaza de España, on the Gran Via. Anyone know of any nearby public laundry facilities? It will make it so much easier than trying to pack for 12 days of clean clothes.

#59831 - 03/22/01 05:20 PM Re: laundrymats in Madrid
tomas Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, USA
I had the same issue when I went to Madrid in 1997 - could not find a laundry facility and using the hotel was way too expensive (almost $25 for a small load of laundry).

Here is what I've done: if you are in a hotel, ask one of the housekeeping staff if they do laundry on the side. Many times the housekeepers will do laundry to make extra money.

I've also asked the owners of small hostals if they do laundry and for how much.

Hope this helps.

Tomas

#59832 - 03/22/01 05:55 PM Re: laundrymats in Madrid
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
I know of a few laudry sevices in Madrid. There is one in Moncloa for example, a 10 minute walk from Plaza España. It's called Relimpio, and it's in Calle Fernando el Catolico, 80. There's probably one even nearer, I'll check up and get back to you.

#59833 - 03/22/01 08:55 PM Re: laundrymats in Madrid
Balise Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
There is Lavamatique on calle Cervantes - near to the Prado. The closest metro station is Anton Martin, I believe. This laundry facility is on the same street (but one block UP - closer to the Metro) as Hostal Gonzalo and Cervantes. It is just a neighborhood facility, but it worked fine for me!

#59834 - 03/23/01 04:50 AM Re: laundrymats in Madrid
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
you can wear a T-shirt for 2 days,
and a jean for 3 or 4 days.
if you take a shower daily you won't have problems of bad odors, and mostly the bad odor in a T-shirt is because you are not wearing deodorant.
I was in Spain for 9 days and carried 9 pair of socks and 9 underwears, I used them and then to the trash, and each day I was having more space for the things I was buying.

Rafael

#59835 - 03/23/01 08:22 AM Re: laundrymats in Madrid
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
I recommend packing "disposible" clothing. Bring throw away underwear, socks and other clothing. It is a great way to clean out drawers and closets. Then, buy new clothing while in Spain. Works great and is lots of fun.

Our joke is that we look like hobos going into Spain (but not really, we just say it.)

I learned this packing trick from an old uncle who returned often to Italy. He left his old clothing behind and returned home with a suitcase full of Italy!
http://www.geocities.com/srasofia/fiesta.html
http://www.geocities.com/KTheimer2000/vegas.html

#59836 - 03/23/01 05:08 PM Re: laundrymats in Madrid
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Sofia,

Nice links from your trips! I enjoyed them!

On the clothing issue -- throw aways -- a word of caution to the big & tall. Spanish sizes may not meet your needs.

When it came to matching my 13 1/2 WWW shoes, or 14 WWW depending on manufacturer, the clerks in every store we went to threw their hands up in the air and said they didn't stock anything my size, or even near it.

Then came my shirts. An 18" neck! Extremely wide shoulders? Forget it! Not to be found. As for trousers that fit anyone with a 40+ inch waist, and over 6-3, it has to be special ordered. Underwear was in short supply (It just is too big by their standards), and socks that actually fit were nearly an impossible find.

For the average sized person, the idea is great. For us big guys, and big ladies as well, it could lead to disaster

For us biggies -- the answer lies in finding laundries, or having clothes that aren't too heavy so they can air dry when washed. Especially on a long vacation like we usually take (a month or more).

Wolf

#59837 - 03/25/01 03:54 PM Re: laundrymats in Madrid
Espejo Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I would be ok without washing the clothes, but a few of the girls I am taking really want to wash things before with pack up and head to Andalucia. I did suggest getting clothes at Salvation Army here to take and then leaving most of it over there at a clothing center. I'll check out your ideas once I get there.

#59838 - 03/28/01 02:36 AM Re: laundrymats in Madrid
mimi Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
I found a laundrymat close to Puerto del Sol. It was a very interesting experience. One word of advice, do not push in and get there really early. You will need to use coins, so make sure you take change. You will also need to take your own detergent. It was absolutely packed with people. It was also quite expensive, if you want to use a dryer. It ended up costing me approximately $10US to do one load and get it dried. Happy washing.

#59839 - 04/05/01 11:17 PM Re: laundrymats in Madrid
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
$10.00 to do one load! Wow! Has anyone tried washing their clothes the old fashioned way: in the sink and hanging them up to dry? Maybe this will not work so well with heavier clothes, but if you pack mostly light fabrics, this might work fine. There are a ton of breathable linens, silks, and rayons out there that can (and probably should) be hand washed. Jeans and heavy cottons in general might be a problem, but hand washing might be cheaper than the laundry mats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2067 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments