MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59674 - 02/22/01 02:57 PM Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I suspect from reading these postings that I am not the only person in the world who cries upon landing at Barajas airport (not because of lost luggage or a long time in immigration lines) and has "Spain on the brain" much of the time. I studied in Salamanca in 1990, and have been back in 1993 and 1995. I'm going again next week, this time to introduce my husband to Spain. He's never been, and I want so much for him to love it as I do. Any suggestions for helping him to end up "enamorado"?

We're going to Avila, Salamanca (I also cry when I get there--and more when I leave), Segovia, Toledo, and of course Madrid.

Because of being a student, I have never had enough money during previous trips to stay in nice places or eat restaurant food, and now we can do a bit of that. We have our accomodations all planned out, and of course will try some of the foods/sights/shopping discussed on this site and in travel publications. What else can make a visit to Spain special? For me, it's enough to simply BE there (and terribly sad to come home). I must sound a bit like Shirley MacLaine or something--don't worry, I don't think I was Spanish in a past life--I just think I belong there in THIS one!

Thanks--
Tara

#59675 - 02/22/01 04:21 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Guess what, taravb! You're not alone in your passions and have certainly found a home here on MadridMan's Spain Message Board. We're a zealous group of lovers-of-Spain so you'll fit RIGHT in here. Welcome!!!! And yes, for me too, it's enough just "to be" in Spain.

Welcome to the family and have a great time in Spain next week! But then, we ALL KNOW you will. How can one NOT???!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#59676 - 02/22/01 04:47 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the welcome, MadridMan--it's nice to be among a group of folks who can understand and relate to my inability to get any "real" work done this week or next. I am too busy thinking of Spain!

It's hard to explain the attraction to others, though--my parents, for example, have never been and don't know what I'm talking about. Of course, like many people I know, they think Spain and Mexico are very similar--and if you've been to the beaches of Cancun, what could be so special about Spain, right? I'll have to drag them there someday.

Heck, it's even hard for me to understand most of the time--I'm a pretty rational person, I would say, and getting teary the first time I crossed onto the Spanish mainland (via plane--from thousands of feet up!) was a surprise to me. I had never even BEEN there and was just a college student on the way to a language course! Little did I know the passion for Spain would be even greater 11 years later! So I go back whenever I can, which is not nearly often enough. But six days from now, I'll be back "home!"

In the meantime, I have packing to plan and rental cars to confirm and lots of daydreaming to do. And Spanish tapes to listen to--though there's not much I can do for my pitiful Castellano right now.

Sorry for going on and on...I simply can't think of much else right now!
Tara

#59677 - 02/22/01 06:10 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
We'll all light a candle for you so that your hubby can love Spain as much as we all do...it's really a no-brainer, though. I'm sure he'll be logging on after the trip under the handle "wifelovespainnotasmuchasme"!!!

I know they say "Virginia is for lovers" but the same can be said of the entire country of Spain. It's also for lovers of history, lovers of art, lovers of people, lovers of .... you get the picture.

I would wager to say that as you stroll through the streets of old-town Salamanca, or along the Tormes as the waning sun of the late afternoon dances on the amber sandstone structures, that your husband will be taken in and never released from the spell of Spain!

Enjoy!

#59678 - 02/22/01 07:38 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
I, too, was bitten by the Spain bug. Since first stepping foot on Spanish soil in 1970 (as a college student visiting Europe on $5 a Day), I couldn't get enough of it. Then we moved to California in 1989 and Spain seemed SO far away and the airfare seemed SO expensive for a family of four.

But, finally, my husband and I are returning this spring. It's about time!!

Interesting, taravb, that you were a student in Salamanca. While driving my son and some college friends back to UCSC on Monday, I learned that one of the students is very interested in studying in Spain. I know that she would really appreciate some advice. Perhaps after you return from your trip, you might offer some suggestions.

#59679 - 02/22/01 08:30 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Hi, Carole--Although it was nearly 11 years ago, I still think of my time in Salamanca often. Studying abroad can be a life-changing experience (not just for me, as I have heard this from others too).

I learned so much about myself and my place in the world...and just how much I still have to learn! I would advise your son's friend to do it, wholeheartedly! As for details about Salamanca, it seems to be changing so quickly that I doubt I could tell his friend much, other than that Salamanca (and all of Spain, in my opinion) is full of warm, engaging, fascinating people.

I was welcomed by a large group of Spanish friends, spent most of a summer with them, and felt completely at home. There were little frustrations, like bars with too many smokers and scalding-hot days from time to time, but all in all, it was the best thing I have ever done--other than having my daughter! And out of it came this Spain obsession, which is lovely--and also frustrating, because I can't get there often enough!

Bottom line? If she can go, she should! There are too few opportunities like this one in a person's life! If she goes with an open mind and a sense of adventure, she will come back a more complete person, with memories to last forever.

[This message has been edited by taravb (edited 02-22-2001).]

#59680 - 02/22/01 11:05 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
I agree wholeheartedly, taravb. Studying in a foreign country is an eye-opening and life-changing experience. I was 15 when I went to Ecuador for a summer program. I lived with an Ecuadorian/American family and attended school daily (except when the military junta was overthrown and we fled to "our" summer beach house.) Interestingly enough, the young lady I mentioned had also been an exchange student to Ecuador while in high school! So her interest in studying in Spain is one I can identify with (although I never had that opportunity).

#59681 - 02/22/01 11:10 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
Jaime Offline

Taravb,
My brother is studying in Salamanca right now and has been since August. We communicate every week by phone and e-mail and I keep reminding him that he should appreciate every moment he is there because before he knows it he will be back here in the U.S, and wishing he was back in Spain. I only got to spend a short time in Salamanca but I fell in love with it. So many of the amazing Spanish Renaissance writers that I have loved and studied throughout my college career were actually professors at the university there almost six hundred years ago and that it really blew me away. I'm sure your husband will fall in love with Spain the way you and I have. Jaime

#59682 - 02/23/01 10:03 AM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Tara: It pleases me that your love for Spain is for the north and not Andalucia like most first-time Spain visitors: My own preferred areas are Cantabria, Asturias and Galicia. I have also travelled extensively in Andalucia including a visit to Sevilla during Semana Santa. Maybe my love for Cantabria comes from having done a 'summer session' at the Universidad Internaciónal de Santander (now Universidad Internaciónal Menendez Pelayo (UIMP) of the Universidad de Cantabria) 40-years ago (1960). Last September, I actually visited members of my 'host' family and they were just as friendly and hospitable as ever. Yes, they remembered me.

The mountains of Cantabria & Asturias (Picos de Europa) are still snow covered and many of the Passes will be closed when you arrive there next week. You may see them from the window of your plane as it comes in on a route that makes landfall near a'Corunha and continues on a southeast course towards Madrid. That may keep you from driving north from Salamanca. You may even find snow in the Guaderrama mountains just north of Madrid (Somosierra, etc.) as you drive north from Barajas.

A good introduction to Spain might be a stop at Toribio's Churreria on the Plaza in Barajas pueblo. IMHO they make the best Churros in the world and the chocolate is so thick and rich, you can stand up a spoon in it. Then you can pick up the (M-40?) loop at la ermita and head for points north.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 02-24-2001).]

#59683 - 02/23/01 10:19 AM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Hi, Eddie--
I do love the north of Spain--the south was charming and fascinating too, but I have such an attachment to Salamanca that, when Spain comes to mind, I think of the Plaza Mayor (and a sandwich de queso and una jarra de sangria at Meson de Cervantes). And a few years ago, my sister and I had a lovely few days together in San Sebastian, which has to be one of the most picturesque places on earth!

Thanks for the churros suggestion--that would be a great first stop and probably desperately needed after an overnight flight! There was a great churreria down the street from my residencia in Salamanca, and I have often tried to duplicate their fabulous chocolate (someone told me it's the addition of a bit of cornstarch that makes it so thick, but I haven't tried that).

Less than a week before I am in Spain! Hooray!
Tara

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments