Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#59530 - 01/29/01 04:08 PM cockroach question
Anonymous
Unregistered

when me and my fiance were in south africa, we had a serious cockroach problem in both the east and west sides of the country, in the city and in the rural ares.

are cockroaches known to be in or around hostals/hotels? we dont plan to do any camping.

dan m

------------------

dan & abbie of Michigan

#59531 - 01/29/01 04:42 PM Re: cockroach question
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
In 30 months+ of living in Spain in different areas and in different seasons and in different years, I have yet to see a cockroach in a hotel, and have seen a grand total of one in an apartment. They are there, but you shouldn't have too much trouble if you're staying at a little nicer, cleaner place. I assume that they are more prevalent in the south, where I've spent less time, but still, you shouldn't encounter too much of a problem.

If you're interested in seeing a lot of cockroaches, try El Salvador or Honduras. I hear they're wonderful this time of year!

#59532 - 01/29/01 04:54 PM Re: cockroach question
connie Offline

I agree with CaliBasco, you will be fine.
I have seen some on the Canary Islands, where they are said to be found more frequently, and one in Madrid (in a private home). I have never seen any in a hotel anywhere in the Peninsula.

#59533 - 01/29/01 04:57 PM Re: cockroach question
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
nah, you won't see any cockroaches, but you will see a lot of nicely dressed people scurrying around (or strolling around), so worry more about how you look and less about bad stuff!

#59534 - 01/29/01 05:01 PM Re: cockroach question
Cristobal Offline

Loc: San Francisco CA USA
Not to get off the subject of Spain, I am Salvadoran-American and have been there many times and I have yet to see a cockroach. So find some other small Latin country to pick on.......

#59535 - 01/29/01 08:04 PM Re: cockroach question
elfroggy27 Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX, USA
I live in Texas, and I will be the first to say - if you want cockroaches, come visit! It may not be the best claim to fame, but you know what they say - everything's bigger in Texas.

#59536 - 01/29/01 08:30 PM Re: cockroach question
connie Offline

I heard that in Florida there exists a type of flying cockroach-luckily enough, I have not met any... I do not think that there is that type in Europe.

#59537 - 01/29/01 11:40 PM Re: cockroach question
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I SERIOUSLY doubt you'll ever see a cockroach in any of the hostels in Spain... Those wonderful people are SO dedicated to have SPOTLESSLY clean rooms, it's amazing. I was witness to two cleaning lady's efforts in a few rooms at a couple different hostels and WOW, they spent almost an hour in each room. Mine rooms were always dust free, sheets fresh and taught, and a bathroom floor clean enough to eat from.

Saludos, MadridMan

P.S. On my last trip to Madrid, I did see a few LARGE cockroaches near the steps of Hotel Carlos V. But......hehehe... they were actually dead and across the street from the hotel at the steps of an... INSECT & PET shop. Seems they "dispensed" of a few of the specimens out the front door after they went to "a better place". WHERE DO COCKROACHES GO WHEN THEY DIE??? Blech!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#59538 - 01/30/01 08:37 AM Re: cockroach question
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
I was in Madrid and the Andalusia area and during my 3-weeks trip, staying at cheap hostals ranging from 4,500 - 6,700 pesetas, I have never seen any roaches. As Madridman posted, most hostal owners keep their place clean because that is also their dwelling. When I was in Madrid, staying with my daughter's landlady's apartment, one thing I noticed when I first entered the apartment complex, there was no definitive smell which at times in the U.S. when I visit friends who live in buildings or apartments, there is that certain smell distinct of a building or an apartment.

#59539 - 01/30/01 09:59 AM Re: cockroach question
Celia U Offline

Loc: Madrid
As Connie said, I have seen a lot of huge cockroachs at Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Island (in a good Hotel) and at night you can see them flying around like bats. I didn`t know until then that cockroachs could fly.

Saludos,
Celia

------------------
Airport shuttle, limousine service and car rental.
http://www.aerocity.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments