Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#59151 - 01/07/01 02:24 PM Just Back, Hostals, Safety, Transportation
jllawson Offline

Loc: Boise, ID US
My wife and I just returned last night from a 12-day trip to Madrid, Sevilla, and a few side trips. First I need to say that prior to leaving I read every posting on this site... I was actually trying to talk my wife into canceling the trip! There were so many safety issues, hostal/hotel issues that I was convinced that I needed a personal security guard... I am sorry that so many travelers have had problems...we had none except for the airlines... I could write several pages of comments about our trip(my first, my wife had actually stayed in Madrid during her college days)... the Hostal Chelo(and the host...Antonio) were as advertised...except that we had to climb about five flights of stairs to reach the facility all the while passing at least three hostals in the same staircase... Antonio says there will be an elevator sometime this year... the room was clean, SMALL, with a clean SMALL private bath... we should have asked for a room away from the street but I actually enjoyed the street noise the first night... Madrid only sleeps from 5:00 am until 8:30am after that either get with the flow or get out of the way... I think we saw all 4.5 million people in the first three hours of our visit... the tapas and beverages were great and very affordable... we spent 5 days in Seville and stayed at the Hotel Zaida(about $35/night) and a great find... the host Fernando was very helpful the rooms great and quiet... we walked almost the entire city over our stay... found great food/tapas/and cold beer.. side trips to Cordoba, Cadiz, and Jerez were a piece of cake... the trains are cheap,fast and very convenient... My goal was to buy a concert flamenco guitar and I found an exceptional one in Sevilla... we attended flamenco performances in Madrid and Sevilla only one in Sevilla was regretable... taxis are like flys in the summer you can't go two blocks without finding one... some tried to get extra fares but with our spanish we were able to keep them in line.... if you are in Sevilla you need to visit La Fabrica in the Plaza de Armas(an old train station) it is a brew-pub, making three types of beer, and they have the best tapas we found in Spain... even though all bars/food services have limited menues until 8:00pm we never suffered... this is getting too long but there are a lot of things we could share with you if you have inquiries... please know some spanish and have a phrase book as back-up if you are not conversant....

#59152 - 01/07/01 06:09 PM Re: Just Back, Hostals, Safety, Transportation
ilovemadrid Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Wow, jllawson, sounds like you had a great time. I am also thinking of buying a flamenco guitar the next time that I will be in Spain (hopefully this summer), was it really expensive? the ones here in the US are on the expensive side but I heard that in Spain they are cheaper.

#59153 - 01/07/01 06:16 PM Re: Just Back, Hostals, Safety, Transportation
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
jllawson - did you look at any classical flamenco guitars in Madrid as well? Did you know exactly what you wanted before you got to Sevilla?

Are there any shops in Madrid for second hand guitars too?

Not that we really need any more guitars, but if the right one was there at the right price, it could be tempting.

Thanks for your report - sounds brilliant.

#59154 - 01/08/01 10:45 AM Re: Just Back, Hostals, Safety, Transportation
jllawson Offline

Loc: Boise, ID US
ilovemadrid/Jo-Anne....

I knew that I wanted a "concert quality" flamenco guitar.. I wasn't sure if I wanted the "negra style" or traditional(I bought traditional; just under $1,000us with hard case)... I found that the guitars in Madrid were substantially more expensive; even the used ones that had been traded in were overpriced... you can get a flamenco for $150us(student model) or you can pay several thousand depending on your will power.. in Madrid there seems to be at least five guitar makers just off Calle Major near Del Sol... offering high quality guitars... if you want a student guitar most any music store can help... I like the music store across the street from the Palicio(don't remember the name but it is right on the corner and has a wide selection) going back toward Del Sol you will find Rodriquez and Ramirez two very expensive makers(with very high credentials)I walked all around this area, between the Palace and Del Sol, and found 5-6 makers... you need to decide your budget and don't buy the first guitar you see.. my next trip will be to buy a concert quality classical from a maker in the Granada area(I have this thing about nice guitars) for fun do a web search on "Guitar Makers in Spain" the listings are extensive with great photos...but limited mostly to high end guitars... you can buy a hard plastic case to bring your guitar home in for about $60us or take one with you... we flew Delta and I carried my guitar home... if you ship from Spain it will cost at least $200us to do it by UPS...carry-on is the way to go...I am sure with a little effort the music stores would be able to find used guitars for you...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments