Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#59146 - 01/07/01 10:30 AM strange spanish bugs?
eight earrings Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY USA
hi everybody. i leave for lovely espana on tuesday and a weird question came into my mind at like 4am and i thought i would ask it. just as one would advise a friend traveling to florida to beware of the jumbo-size bugs, would anyone advise me to beware of any critters in spain? not to say anything about my future senoras home skills, will i be faced with any weird insects or anything?

i know this soundslike a really silly question, but i think to back in the day when my mom went to mexico with a friend of hers and they got creeped out by all the big cock roaches... in buffalo, i think the majority of out bugs are small because it's too darn cold to live here very long.

thank you in advance for your replies to my less than high-brow question.

-amy s.

#59147 - 01/07/01 02:28 PM Re: strange spanish bugs?
jllawson Offline

Loc: Boise, ID US
my wife was bitten 10-15 times by what we thought was a mosquito..it wasn't... we always take along anti-perspirant to put on bites... they dry up in an hour and stop itching(old mountain camping trick)..

#59148 - 01/07/01 05:23 PM Re: strange spanish bugs?
Wendy E Offline

I was eaten alive by mosquitoes in Sevilla. Thankfully, I found an Avon store there and bought some Skin-so-Soft and sprayed it on my hands and face everynight and that seemed to do the trick.

#59149 - 01/07/01 06:06 PM Re: strange spanish bugs?
ilovemadrid Offline

Loc: Hawaii
I was eaten by mosquitoes in Sevilla as well, and the weird thing was that they would somehow get into my room at night and their loud "eeeeeee" sound would wake me up, and they were always really BIG, well bigger than what we have in Hawaii. And when they bit it was REALLY itchy.

#59150 - 01/07/01 09:34 PM Re: strange spanish bugs?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Amy, as you can see, there are hungry mosquitoes that come out on warm nights! There are no screens in Spain, so if it's warm out and you want to sleep with the windows open, you'll want to protect yourself. You can buy little bottles of stuff that is slowly let out into the air that either kills mosquitoes or keeps them away - I'm not sure which - and they really work. You plug them into an electrical outlet. We always use them when we're in Spain in the summer. I wish I could remember what they're called.... But you can buy them in any supermarket.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments