Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#58601 - 12/02/00 10:22 PM Re: All my dreams come true in Madrid!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Ladies and gentleman. My ladyfriend (turning 40 years old in a few months) and I have had a wonderful relationship these 7 years and we've talked about marriage in many ways. I've even threatened it, but it never goes anyway. I even proposed in the "proper" way about 4 years ago, gave her a diamond ring which she still has, she accepted with a "Maybe some day," but it's clear it will never happen as long as I don't have a better paying job or her chances of getting a decent job don't improve so that we could live better than paupers (poor people). Plus, she lives with her elderly (and more and more needy) mother and has a new (2 years) nephew in Madrid too which she dearly loves. So there you go! We've been over and over this topic together hundreds of times. I don't think it will ever happen. It's a political thing too: no accepting the governments necessity of recognizing a relationship in order to get benefits, etcetera.

But hey Martin!! Good for you, buddy! I'm really happy and YOU'RE very fortunate. Enjoy it all for as long as possible.

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 12-02-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#58602 - 12/03/00 07:45 AM Re: All my dreams come true in Madrid!
nevado Offline

I'm sorry, but am I the only one here that thinks MM should MOVE ON? It's obvious that without papers you'll never be together. Unless she accepts the government's necessity for marriage, well, you aren't left with many choices are you. I wish we could all talk some sense into your "ladyfriend" because you seem like a great catch.

#58603 - 12/03/00 07:52 AM Re: All my dreams come true in Madrid!
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Well, as long as we are giving (unwanted???) advice to MM-- why move on, if you adore your ladyfriend? All arrangements don't have to be traditional, stable, etc. It sounds as though you could easily grab the nearest gringa, get married, have 2 kids in the burbs, etc. but... why? You sound relatively happy despite wanting a more committed relationship. Your ladyfriend, however, is skewed in her thinking, because if she really felt that way about the government and the benefits that accrue by virtue of marriage, she'd have to refuse the pension for old people (why should the old have benefits that the young don't), the unemployment money, etc etc. As her mother ages and she gets well into her 40s, perhaps the sense of stability and partnership will appeal to her more, and she'll see marriage as a formality that allows both of you to live in the same country. anyway, sorry to be intrusive... we all CARE!

#58604 - 12/03/00 08:55 AM Re: All my dreams come true in Madrid!
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
rgf asks:
"(why should the old have benefits that the young don't),"

Could it be because as people age they become subject to age discrimination by employers, become ill, infirm, their sensual acuity often diminishes,and, unlike that of young people, their earning capacity diminishes or disappears?

Too, they may have paid into welfare funds, through taxation on wages and income, all their working lives. Some of those benefits may in part be merely some of their own money being returned to them. All of which you will come to appreciate better as you age.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 12-03-2000).]

#58605 - 12/03/00 09:06 AM Re: All my dreams come true in Madrid!
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Cantabene, the point I was making is exactly that. Old people SHOULD have benefits. Married people also get benefits, for reasons that are not as clear as in the case of old people... but after all, most children are born within marriage, and society has an interest in promoting child-bearing/bringing up (aka breeding!).

#58606 - 12/03/00 12:37 PM Re: All my dreams come true in Madrid!
esp Offline

Loc: Redwood City, CA USA
Martin

What a beautiful chapter in the book of your life. Love, art, beautiful surroundings. Mazel Tov!!!

#58607 - 12/04/00 01:47 AM Re: All my dreams come true in Madrid!
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
MadridMan,

You are a lucky hombre. Despite the fact she spurns your marriage proposals, it is evident to all the board contributors that you have found a very special lady, one that is worth waiting for.

BTW, Happy Birthday MM. Incidentally, it must have a been a typo on your behalf, as it is impossible that your lady friend is 40. I have seen the few photos of her on the board, and am convinced that she is no older than 30.

#58608 - 12/11/00 09:03 PM Re: All my dreams come true in Madrid!
MunchiMike Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, U.S...
We too are artists and will gladly take this studio off your hands when you come back to the US out of homesickness.........NOT!!......Rev. Mike

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2035 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments