Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#58281 - 12/06/00 11:22 AM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Nicole! How can you say that "Bush is whatever you fill him up with" while ignoring the fact that Gore has changed his core directives no less than six times...all since the campaign began? How about his running mate? Lieberman, a "devout Jew" was excommunicated for advocating partial-birth abortions. I'm not sure how ANY person can reconcile their belief in God, Yahweh or Allah or whoever and advocate this dispicable practice.

And Puna, do you believe "out of hat" what was posted? If there's a candidate that stuck to his guns, it was Nader! (probably since he isn't bought and paid for). Anyway...I think that Bush has more conviction than Gore, but they both are slaves to their platforms. That's the sad state of affairs in the U.S.

I like the way that coalition governments seem to get things done in other countries. I know that in Spain you have a number of parties who are represented in the "cortes". When they get together on issues, they can be heard. Even though the PP is in control with Aznar, the parliament is multipartisan (a word we don't know in the U.S.!) We don't have that here, and so we get gridlock.

Nicole, you're right...we are an opinionated bunch...I'm just as guilty as everyone else! At least I mentioned Spain in this post, though

#58282 - 12/06/00 12:01 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Good for you Calibasco! getting us back on track!

Gore changing his campaign seemed a transparantly desperate desire to win, and Bush just seems empty to me. I, personally, do not get the impression that he is great thinker or has any strong feelings about anything. Sorry, that is just my take...

I agree about the mulipartisan governments in other countries. I don't think that either party in our system is really able to go all across the board and make everyone happy. I am tired of lame duck congresses. Having a true multi-party system would be a noce change of pace and a better representation of the "will of the people" so to speak.

I am pretty burnt out on the whole deal, frankly, and would gladly hop on the first plane to Spain to get away from the whole mess. Now if only someone would send ME a round trip ticket for my birthday...

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 12-06-2000).]

#58283 - 12/06/00 07:49 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Amen, Nicole...I say we throw them both in a room and get McCain vs. Bradley in for Election 2000 round two!

I want out for a while too! I was looking around Amazon.com for tickets to add to my wish list...no luck yet...

#58284 - 12/06/00 07:57 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
that would be a much more interesting match, wouldn't it?

Check out Air France. they are still having good deals for travel through MArch 31st - aprox $500/600 to Madrid or BArcelona.

#58285 - 12/11/00 08:41 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
MunchiMike Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, U.S...
TICKETS ANYONE!?! How about JFK to Madrid..$165.00!!! if you join Air Courier Assoc. you can have it !!!....Rev. Mike

#58286 - 12/11/00 08:43 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
MunchiMike Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, U.S...
Funny about that election thing huh?? As of today the U.S, supreme court is due to Re-rule...GOOD GOD!!....Rev. Mike

#58287 - 01/23/01 11:17 AM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
When I was in traveling in Spain, mostly everybody was making fun of our
ballot system. When we were in bar in Granada, courtesy of a 65 year old
man, before he paid, he held his paper peseta looking at it from back and
front and then, told my daughter that he is just making sure that the amount
printed on it is correct, just like the U.S. ballot.

#58288 - 01/23/01 03:03 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Well, I guess our system is worthy of jokes! I would not, however, recommend that the US switch over to the system I saw used in Spain! Although I (as a foreigner) couldn't vote (well, I did once, but that's another story), I always made sure my Spanish husband did. The voting area had a big table filled with mountains of small papers, one for each party or candidate. You were to take papers for those you wanted to vote for, and put them in a box. Where we lived, you could do this secretly only if you took one of each and every paper (there may have been some 20 different ones), went into a curtained off area, and placed only those you were voting for into the box. The rest, I guess, you would dispose of later.

Most people, however, just took the papers they needed, and there was no secrecy involved. I was told that in certain places (Pais Vasco was specifically mentioned) you are not given the option of going behind a curtain, and people watch to make sure you take the "right" ones.

This system may have changed, but as recently as 5 or 6 years ago I watched it happen.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments