Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#58231 - 11/20/00 04:07 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Yes Mclarck, I think I know how she feels, sometimes when you go to a foreigner country you are a little bit like an embassor and everybody ask you questions and you get involved in things that you might not want to. But I am sure that she has friends that like her and think she is great and that is something very good because then they will associate being american with being a nice person. I wish that we could make exchanges like students do and spend some time in a different country so we could have the experience of other cultures, people, customs... then we won't be as silly when we make statements about Americans are... French are... English are... sometimes I hear things like: How the spaniards were so cruel and killed so many indians? And I don't have the answer, that was 500 years ago and I didn't know them, but since I am Spaniard is like if I were "responsible" somehow and they think that I should now.
Anyway, I hope your daughter is having a good time there, are you planning on visiting her soon?
Besos

#58232 - 11/21/00 01:30 AM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Hello and welcome back, Nuria.

Speaking as an American, I happen to think we do have the best political system in the world. Its not perfect, and this current mess is showing places where some changes might be in order. But, its served us well for over two hundred years, and if I may say so, I am proud of the accomplishments our system has made. In general, we Americans like our politics messy. Things sure are up in the air down in Florida. The way I see it, if the politicians keep arguing with each other, then they'll leave the rest of us alone to live our lives.

#58233 - 11/21/00 09:58 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
What is noteworthy about we Americans is that only about 50% of those eligible actually vote! As far as I know a higher percentage of europeans typically vote in their national elections.
Just think : our new president will have been selected by only 25% of the populace.

I hope that those Americans overseas who sent in absentee ballots were lucky enough to have the foreign post offices clearly postmark them as the Democrats are trying to get as many votes from overseas thrown out as possible (since they think that those ballots might favor Bush).

The on-going legal battles between the opposing armies of high paid lawyers are unique to our American system. Also the many lawsuits being filed prove to the world that we are a very litigious society.

All in all, we do have a good system of government but I don't gloat that we have the best of all.

#58234 - 11/22/00 07:34 AM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Nuria
My daughter is enjoying her Spain experience. She has spent weekends at her Spanish friend's farm; weekends at the mountains; does yoga with them. Yes, Nuria, she also in a way acts an "ambassador". She teaches English to two young Spanish children whose ages are 7 and 11 and for these children it is their first contact with a black american. With regards to the politics incident, that is past and forgotten. I will be in Spain from Dec. 29-Jan. 14. Will you still be there? My daughter and I would like to meet with you for lunch or dinner. I will be in the Altamirano area in Madrid from Dec. 29-Jan 2.

#58235 - 11/22/00 11:20 AM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi mclarke,
No, I won't be there I am only going for 3 days, actually I am leaving in 1 hour (I am very nervous) but it would be awesome to meet you and your daughter. I hope you have fun!

#58236 - 11/24/00 11:47 AM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
miles Offline

Loc: atlanta georgia usa
When will the Lib concede?

#58237 - 11/25/00 02:24 AM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
As a supposed answer to your question,, I say "Not anytime soon" and that goes for Gov. Bush as well. The last time I posted here (11/21), I wasn't too concerned about the goings on. I am changing my mind now. Its gotten to the Supreme Court, and it is sure that it won't stop there. I think there is a high likelihood that the vote could end up in the U.S. congress. More lawsuits are promised by Vice-Pres. Gore. Forget what they're all saying; this isn't about anything but WINNING. So far this thread has been refeshingly non-partisan, but I think one of them should concede, and it should be Gore. Any other opinions out there?....

#58238 - 11/25/00 01:07 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
sure, here's an opinion. The person who wins the popular vote, and the person who was most penalized by the archaic and confusing voting machines in Florida should be the one to concede to the rich, son of a president who wants to strong arm his way into office, caudillo style, with henchmen and organized protesters and daddy's old war horses? Um, don't think so!! Either they should throw out the Florida vote or recount the whole damn thing, with a uniform standard, and do it right. Meantime, the Supreme Court might lend some authority to this whole debacle!

#58239 - 11/25/00 02:42 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
alejandro Offline

Loc: Texas
The most difficult part of this whole debate is credibility. Neither party is following a "neutral" principle to a conclusion. Each side is purely result-oriented.

As for who should concede, the point at which it could be done honorably and with dignity has long since passed for either of them. The goal of any election is to ensure that the will of the people is heard and followed. This election has clearly uncovered several long-existing problems in determining the will of the people. "How much of a chad constitutes a vote?" I don't know.

The electoral college/popular vote issue shows the true extent of hypocrisy. Each party has advanced both positions depending on the current perception of which candidate would win which.

I disagree with anyone who wishes to follow the popular vote and not the electoral college. First, it would be changing the rules in the middle of this election. More importantly, the U.S. is a republic, not a pure democracy. The electoral college ensures that every state has a say in who the president will be. If it was determined by popular votes, significant portions of the country would be irrelevant. I submit that if a candidate only ran ads and visited major population centers, he could win the popular vote. That would effectively disenfranchise most voters.

Who will win? Who cares at this point? I don't think much will get done in the next 2-4 years.

Just some humble opinions...

#58240 - 11/25/00 10:04 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
I have decided to hold my tounge on this matter. I caused an uproar with my previous election related posting, so I will refrain from posting on this divisive topic. In the words of Rodney King and MissMadrid, " Why can't we all just get along?". In order to be more germane to the site, why don't we discuss the details of the Spainsh electoral system? Lets save the politcal polemics for other sites.

Cantankerously,

Shawn

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2689 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments