Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#58221 - 11/12/00 12:48 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
I agree with all the "voting people" for what I think is a very good reason: there is a space on the ballot to write in a candidate.

If you do not wish to chose one of the two main candidates, there are several more on that ballot AND that space.

In past years, I have simply written, "NONE OF THE ABOVE." You can do that. The CIA or FBI is not going to hunt you down for this and you are still getting your vote in / your point across.

Last year I put, "A really good woman for once." The year before, I wrote in, "anyone but the above candidates." (hehe).

This is not to suggest that you should take voting lightly. But, you do have the option in this country of writing in what you think. So, even by not voting, you are doing yourself a great disservice because you are not saying anything new. It is easier to not speak, then to speak--in any given circumstance.

If you don't believe in the major candidates' viewpoints, vote for what you do believe in.

And remember, this is something that the minority groups in this country had to fight for. If nothing else, people should vote just to insure that voting remains a right, not a privilege of the few wealthy white males in this country.

#58222 - 11/13/00 10:17 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
alejandro Offline

Loc: Texas
Americans can no longer legitimately say "My vote doesn't count." I used to think that not voting was an important statement. In fact, a political satirist wrote a book titled "If God Had Wanted Us to Vote He Would Have Given Us Candidates." The problem with silence is that it can be interpreted in too many different ways. I don't think there will ever be a candidate who will come close to sharing my views across the board, but I don't want to not use my voice.

#58223 - 11/15/00 03:03 AM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Agree completely, Alejandro. No matter what you think of the canidates, there's got to be something you agree with one of them about, so let your voice be heard. But if you don't vote, OK. that just makes MY vote count that much more. Now, I'm a heck of a guy, but you don't want me making decisions about the government for you, do you? No, really, you can trust me.... //Peace to all

#58224 - 11/15/00 08:45 AM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Impressions on the Presidential Election by Spaniards. I recently received this e-mail from my daughter who is doing a semester in Madrid.

"So in the last few days I had to listen to all of these comments
criticizing the U.S. and the elections and all of this drama, and I am
actually quite sick of having to defend/speak/comment on these issues. I
know no more about what happened than any other person that reads the
news, and no, the actions of politicians could not possibly represent what
the Spaniards like to define as the American spirit. Honestly you
couldn't possibly imagine how many times I have heard, "So whats with your
perfect democracy now?." The funny thing is that they are the first ones
to say that the United States is perfect. I don't know one U.S. citizen
that would make such a comment."

#58225 - 11/15/00 12:02 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Oh Man. I Know exactly how your daughter feels. I think a lot of europeans feel that we think our own system perfect and look at certain actions by the U.S. government as demonstrating that. When I lived in France, particularly, I got so tired of being "challenged" all the time, and sometimes found myself defending stuff that I didn't really believe. When I moved to Chile, it was such a relief, because people didn't do that. By the end of my two years there, I was like, "why doesn't anyone want to TALK about anything here?" It drove me nuts. I actually missed the dscussions/debates/arguments I had in Spain and France, if you can believe it.

It is an interesting exercise in many ways, because it forces you to define your feelings and opinions about your culture and country. It is also interesting to see the news about the US and other countries presented abroad. At that time I was impressed by how much more press was given to the situation in the Former Yugoslavia than it was in the U.S...

#58226 - 11/15/00 12:53 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
mclarke Offline

Nicole,

You are very impressive! Your travels and experiences really show how global your attitudes and thoughts are! I hope my daughter one day will develop the global attitudes and thoughts you have shown in this board. You seem to embrace differences and diversity. You are so objective about many things. May I ask what your occupation is?

You are an asset to this board.

#58227 - 11/15/00 07:51 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
alejandro Offline

Loc: Texas
I really need to check the boards more often. Quick comments to several of you.

Kurt - While I am sure you could be trusted on some issues, I would rather hear about you leaving law to be a history teacher. I think teaching is an honorable profession like law can be, but as a fairly new attorney I would like to hear about your decision to look elsewhere.

Mclarke - I am curious about what Europeans told your daughter about the "american spirit." I second your comments about Nichole. It is important to see the world from someone else's perspective. For those of us who have not traveled as extensively as Nichole, her experiences indirectly broaden our horizons.

#58228 - 11/15/00 08:04 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
mclarke. I don't really have a speecific occupation. I am 27, so I have only been out in the work world for about five years. I have taught english, and done compliance work in a bank (Chile), and for the last two years worked as a social worker/job developer at a refugee resettlement agency, and taught Spanish at night.

Right now I working as a marketing assistant at an accounting firm in L.A. while I study for the GRE and try to figure out what to be when I grow up.

All I really want to do is keep traveling though..

I am sure your daughter is well on her way. When you describe what she is doing over in Spain, we catch a glimpse of an adventurer. She seems to have really gotten out there, met people and made friends. That's what it is all about.

Sheba, I love your write-ins on the ballot!

#58229 - 11/20/00 11:33 AM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi Mclarcke,
I am sorry that your daughter is being caught in the middle of the storm. The reason why we (Spaniars/European) are laughing about the political situation in USA is because for many years we have seen all the American movies about how great is the American System, we have been hearing for years how democratic is America, the propaganda that American send to Europe is "AMERICA HAS THE BEST POLITICAL SYSTEM". Honestly, Europeans get a little bit sick of all tha "American Wonders". Now, let me tell you how nice is when we meet an American and we realized how great he/she is and that he/she doesn't have anything to do with what his/her goverment send to Europe. It is sad but the American goverments are the biggest responsibles for the hatred that some countries feel for America. I argue with my Spaniards friends becuase they don't believe that America is a great country where you get the chance to live very well, they still think that America is the country that bombs other countries, kill (econimically speaking) to the weakest countries, takes advantage of South america... I mean, that is exactly what we see in Europe, what would you think about a country if you see all that stuff? You have to come here and see that we are getting the wrong information.
Besos

#58230 - 11/20/00 12:05 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
mclarke Offline

Nuria,

My daughter just turned 20 and all her growing up years, she has never been interested in politics. This recent U.S. political drama is her first experience to be involved to discuss about U.S. politics. This is her first time to live abroad and suddently her new environment involves her in politics. Her Spain experience is opening to horizons and expereince new things like "politics".

Welcome back to this wonderful forum.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1629 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments