Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#58211 - 11/07/00 08:48 AM U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
I have enjoyed the posts on the ETA situation. They remind me that, in a democracy, we must use the tools of the democracy for change. Please, all of us who are U.S. citizens, go vote today! Granted, the two main candidates offer little in the way of 'change.' Yet each vote is a decision. You've made certain decisions, you know the directions you support: please vote. And, not wanting to open a really hot topic thread, please think of those future Supreme Court nominees as you vote for President today!!

#58212 - 11/07/00 09:59 AM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
also think of Alaska and oil drilling...
PLEASE be smart and make the right choice!

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 11-07-2000).]

#58213 - 11/07/00 10:00 AM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
also think of Alaska and if you'd like it to st
Sorry- I messed up here!
Just make sure you vote! (even if you may make the mistake of voting for dubya, at least you voted)

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 11-07-2000).]

#58214 - 11/07/00 10:13 AM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Glad someone brought this up - thanks, rgf. No matter how we feel about the current candidates and what they stand for - our individual vote is important - maybe more os this year than in most as the election's too close to call. The result might actually hinge on the 15 million absentee votes cast and/or an electoral college vote.

#58215 - 11/07/00 06:41 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
i too am with you on this one. despite my political leanings and personal beliefs in the u.s. systems of government, it is imperative that you vote. in order to practice the democracy we expect, you need to execise that privildge by getting to the polls.

#58216 - 11/07/00 07:25 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
I have to demur to the pleading that we MUST vote. It is true that we enjoy tremendous liberties and democracy in the USA; however, a non-vote can be as powerful as a vote. If we are not fully satisfied with the given candidates, it is perposterous to expect one to half heartedly vote the lesser of ttwo evil just for the sake of partaking in the process. A non-vote signals to future and current candidiates that they are not addressing the concerns of the electorate. A 50% turnout suggest either contentment by vast numbers or cynisism of the highest magnitude. We need to step back from the posture that one must vote at all costs( selling out ones beliefs) and move toward the correct view for our nation that a principled well thoghtout vote is our aim. Don't be goaded by friends and nieghbors to vote or else. Your friends may have the twinkle in their eyes for given candidate, but that twinkle is a deeply personal experience that will affect everyone differently.

BTW, In spite of my polemic, I did vote, but I do not think any less of my friends and nieghbore who choose not to vote, although they participate in the process by their nonvote. I thank them for their strong voice in our free forum, we call democracy.

#58217 - 11/07/00 10:29 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Sorry, but no one 'listens' to the fact that there is a low or high voter turnout. Your not voting does not change anything in the democracy. Now, organzing, voting for a minor party, working actively for change-- that might get some attention. Staying home really says nothing. You'd have to get the numbers down to, say, a 25% turnout to make any statement and then what? Of course you don't have the obligation to vote. You have the right. And to stay home, too. Just don't delude yourself that non-participation is an impetus for change!

#58218 - 11/07/00 10:46 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I have to say that I agree with rgf here. Not voting may be your statement, but a better one would be becoming actively involved insomething you DO believe in. I have seen what happens to people that live in countries where that is not permitted. One guy from Togo held (not led) a political meeting in his house, and every single person that was at that meeting is dead at the hands of the dictator. Except him (he managed to escape to R of Benin).

I am so excited and grateful for my voice, even if dissapointed by the loss of "my" candidates. That's why I think it is so damn touching and cool that the Spaniards are so passionate about voting, that they even voted onthe color of the Plaza Mayor. That lovely burgundy MEANS something.

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 11-08-2000).]

#58219 - 11/07/00 11:09 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
One final thought, I am not urging nonparticipation , but rather, I am not scolding those in our midst who elect not to elect. Candidates sell theri ideas and visions for the future, Companies market product for consumption. If a candidate whishes to have his/her ideas supported, then that candidiate will seek out like minded members of society to back the candidate. The company wich fails to sell their goods to an existing market, will seek out and cater their products to new untapped markets. I believe that candidates wishing electoral success will develop their product(ideas) to an untapped market(electorate), if voters rebuke the lesser of two evil syndrome. Oh well, I do agree with getting involved, but do not see the wisdom of compelled participation. If voter turnout dropped to 25%, beleive me candidates would seek out the disenfranchised with gusto.

Cantankerous in LA.

#58220 - 11/08/00 04:52 PM Re: U.S. CITIZENS: PLEASE VOTE!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Neil Peart said it best in song:

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

I was reading in earnest some of the recent news articles on the ETA situation (as per the original post on this thread), and people are starting to show up with signs that say "Ya no Basta". If you've been following this at all, you understand the change in position for those people.

Voting to me says "I'm taking action". Not voting is more like "act on me". I make it a rule to vote on all the issues that I understand. While sometimes that leads to an incomplete ballot, I haven't missed an election yet!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments