Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#57530 - 10/06/08 05:04 AM Un Bautizo / baptism in Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Well , yesterday I attended my first ever baptism in Madrid ( actually my first ever baptism anywhere ! ) and despite being completely non-religious , I actually quite enjoyed it . The baptism was for a litlle baby called Gian Carlo , the son of some filipino friends .
For Laduque's information , the catholic church was beautiful - La Parroquia Nuestra Senora Del Perpetuo Socorro - The church is huge with 2 chapels and is in Calle Manuel Silvela ( Metro - Bilbao ) . The main chapel is typical catholic opulence .. All gold and silver .
Not being religious I was expecting a bolt of lightning to strike me down as I entered hahaha but all was well . Though I was getting some accusing glances from the very conservative family next to me since I wasn't following the prayers .
This was a baptism for 5 babies at the same time .
The service lasted an hour ... in Spanish and Latin Aaaargh .. But it WAS an experience !
In fact , as a young boy , I used to sing in a church choir ( Anglican-Church of England ) so I was quite used to long services and sermons .
I positioned myself yesterday near to the confessions box .. just in case .
Afterward was a reception in Plaza Santo Domingo .. I estimated at least 120 , maybe 150 guests , of which maybe only 10 were non-Filipino ... It was great fun .They hired the top floor of a restaurant which offered a really excellent "buffet libre" ( eat all you want ) .. On offer was huge amounts of Paella , Pimientos rellenos , Merluza ( Hake ) , ensaladas ( salads ) , tortillas .. not to mention the desserts which the kids loved .
We all got a little gift of caramelos ( candy ) in a presentation box with a cute puppy keyring !
I have good friends in the Filipino community here so I knew quite a lot of the guys , and they certainly love these big occasions .
A new Madrileno/Filipino/ Religious experience for me !! Steve

#57531 - 10/06/08 07:22 AM Re: Un Bautizo / baptism in Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I don't know how it would be done with multiple Baptisms but back in my days, friends of the proud parents would throw monédas as the baby was carried from the Church. That was done at my son's Baptism back in 1975. rolleyes cool

#57532 - 10/06/08 09:20 AM Re: Un Bautizo / baptism in Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Maybe it's a signof the global financial crisis haha , but that didn't happen . However the parents received a mountain of gifts . Steve

#57533 - 10/06/08 02:43 PM Re: Un Bautizo / baptism in Madrid
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Thanks for sharing Steve, I will check out that church upon my return (not for religious reasons, but for archetectual and cultural reasons).
Spaniards and Catholics in general make a HUGE deal surrounding the sacrament (first communion, wedding, baptism) so it's not surprising that this was a big affair. How cool to be invited to share in the experience!

laduque

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments