MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#57509 - 09/22/08 07:09 AM Topics Spanish
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
¿That you think of the Spanish Topics?.
Bulls,flamenco,Siesta,Guitar,to smoke,tapas vagabounds(we like to work little), to speak shouting.

#57510 - 09/22/08 07:44 AM Re: Topics Spanish
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I love the bulls and have been many many times to the bullfights at Plaza de Toros ( Ventas ) .. I love the tradtion , the spectacle etc.. It's like the gladiators in the Colliseum in Roma . And the spectacular Trajes de Luces that the matadors wear .
A friend of mine took me to an outfitters for toreros near Sol ( Madrid ) .. It's not general public access ( you have to buzz to get in ) , but we were shown all the "suits of lights " that were being made up for various toreros .. Quite stunning .
Flamenco , I also love , and I've been many times to see shows here in Madrid and one in Sevilla . The best , many times , are in the small , smokey clubs , but I also like popular flamenco such as "Rojas y Rodriguez" who i've seen 3 times now .. Incredible dancers and spectacular stage sets .
Siesta .. I find very difficult .. If I sleep mid-afternoon , I will not feel good for the rest of the day .
Guitar is my favourite instrument and I love the guitar makers shops here in Madrid . A real art form .
I don't smoke , but since smoking tobacco is NOT illegal then I support the bars here in Spain that have the signs in their windows ( the majority ) saying " Se Permite Fumar " .. " You can Smoke " .. It doesn't bother me now .
Tapas ... Of course I love those , and the pintxos from Pais Vasco ... Perfect food with a good glass of wine .
I haven't worked for over 3 years and I would say that , If you have the opportunity to decide , then work as little as possible !!
YEAH THE SPANISH SPEAK LOUDLY JAJAJA . But with passion . I like that too .
Oh and Spain is full of beautiful girls and handsome men !! Love is always in the air hehehe

Steve

#57511 - 09/22/08 11:37 AM Re: Topics Spanish
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Great questions, jazz! thumbsup

Bulls: I love bulls! And they're tasty too! :p As for bullfighting, I'm "Pro Choice"; if you want to go, go. If you don't, don't.

Flamenco: Mmmm.. I LOVE flamenco. I love watching it. I love listening to it. I love that it's alive and well even with the gypsy youth. I love there's a radio station dedicated to it ("Radio Olé") which you hear blasted from the insides of passing gypsy (often "tricked out") cars at all hours.

Siestas: I love siestas almost as much as I love flamenco. Although few people have the luxury to take a siesta/nap after lunch on a workday I'm glad that it's socially acceptable if you can/do. Sundays are great days for nearly everyone to take an actual nap after a big lunch. Like steve robinson, I would avoid a nap after lunch because I usually felt "yucky" the rest of the day. But now that I take after-lunch naps nearly every day I find that feeling doesn't occur anymore. Interesting.

Guitar: To me, the Spanish Guitar is synonymous with Spain itself. I love (classical) Spanish guitar music about as much as I love flamenco guitar music.

Smoking: Back in the USA I used to be nearly militantly anti-smoking. But now that I've been living here, and even before when I was just visiting Spain, I've found myself much more tolerant to the point I don't even notice it and don't think negatively of a person when I see them smoking. I don't like, however, coming home and smelling like "the bar" - which doesn't happen anymore really because I rarely stay out late in those kinds of environments. I prefer the outdoor terraces when the weather permits it. In the USA you often have "these people" whom will give a constant "fake cough" when seeing a smoker near them - even in a smoking section. Here, that never happens. Or if it does, it's ignored or they offer "the cougher" a drink of water.

Tapas: Mmmm... If there was every a tastier invention I don't know what it is. Tapas. Those tiny serving treats they most often give you for free with your drink order. Man, what a great idea. I don't even care knowing the bar has raised the price of my beer/wine just enough so that I'm actually paying for it indirectly. It's a nice detail. And besides, one shouldn't drink on an empty stomach.

Vagabounds. Hmmm... Not sure about this one. Are you referring to the homeless people whom live in Spain? If so, I find it a shame. There are so many (more) social services here in Spain to take care of the poor, hungry, and homeless that there really should be nobody sleeping under bridges or within the shrubbery. But according to an in-depth exposé on the homeless in Madrid by TeleMadrid last summer, many of these people PREFER to live in this way and do not want to go to the shelters or stand in line for free food. I'm not sure it's like this for every homeless person though. Some people really are too proud (or stubborn) to accept charity. But apart from homeless people, Spaniards work longer hours than we do in the United States in many cases. Sure, they may have a 1, 2, or 3 hour break for lunch but they also stay at work until 8 or 9pm! And you can't beat those 1 or 2 month summer vacations! thumbsup

Speaking Loudly: Buff! Ain't that the truth! Sure, it's a generalization but I know a number of Spaniards whom, when they talk, I find myself pulling away so as not to stress my ears. Most people, however, do speak in what I'd call a "normal" tone though.

Saludos, MadridMan (oh, was I shouting?) wink

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57512 - 09/22/08 03:37 PM Re: Topics Spanish
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
OK,MM and Steve,which mas i like are you Tapas, and just now I goaway to eating in the bar a plate of squids and spanish tortilla with a wine of rioja.

To your health!

#57513 - 09/23/08 06:01 AM Re: Topics Spanish
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I think your list omitted some really important stuff, like Sports. It's not just Futbol, it's Tennis, cycling, basketball, in each of which Spain is 'World Class.'
With the tapas you list, I would prefer chilled white wine, Manzanilla if available.
¡Salud!

#57514 - 09/23/08 06:24 AM Re: Topics Spanish
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
you will laugh at this one! "THE WEATHER" that feeling you get coming off the plane and the doors open and a gush of hot breathless air hits you, what a marvelous feeling i know im in Spain

#57515 - 09/23/08 06:39 AM Re: Topics Spanish
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Bulls : You can't condemn what you haven't seen, and the truth is I'm not likely to. I've tried on TV, and can't get past the guy on the horse. Sorry, not for me.

Flamenco : I love the bars, the guitar, the clapping, the dancing, the box (can't remember its name, the one they sit on and play like a drum), the general atmosphere it creates, and then someone sings and I find that difficult. My brother in law loves it though, so I shall keep going.

Siesta : For Sundays, after too much lunch, in front of the rubbish film that I'm sure is shown for the purpose of sleeping in front of, yes. The rest of the week I personally prefer to do other things.

Guitar : I love the spanish guitar so much that I bought one to try and learn and found that it is far harder than it looks. 10 years of studying and I'm still complete rubbish laugh

Smoking : I don't and never have smoked, but I believe people should have the choice to do so. In the UK it is banned now in public places, so what happens is I am left guarding the table, while everyone else goes outside to smoke. The spanish have approached this subject the right way.

Tapas : The one thing I would really struggle to live without if I ever left Madrid.

Vagabounds : I'm taking this to mean the spanish like to work little. That just isn't my experience. The offices work long hours, and the shops open long hours. There are a lot of bank holidays mind you.

To speak shouting : Yep and why not. And deeply too. And that's not just the men !

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments