MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57493 - 09/11/08 06:25 AM Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
In a previous post on the "Rafael Nadal" thread MM was commenting that it would seem strange having the Davis Cup at Plaza de Toros ...Finally I just read an aricle in El Pais ( Tuesday's edition ) with pictures of the set up .
They have constructed tennis courts outside the bullring also .
They're expecting both Andy Roddick and Rafa Nadal to be there !
19-21st September are the dates .
Interestingly , the main court will be in the bullring itself and will allow 21,000 spectators making it the 2nd biggest capacity tennis court in the world ( New York having the largest at 22,000 ) .

#57494 - 09/11/08 07:31 AM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Steve, as an expert of the layout of Ventas, would you say you would get an adequate view from the back for a tennis match.

New York (Flushing meadows I think) always looks so high that I can't imagine you could see the ball from the top.

My other question is that I though the Davis cup was only about 5 matches over 2 or three days. I would have thought one court would have done, unless they need a practice one.

#57495 - 09/11/08 07:58 AM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

The seating in Ventas is complicated to say the least , as I'm sure many board members have discovered when booking bullfight tickets .
I just booked tickets for REM at the bullring and had to refer to some of my bullfight photos to check where the seats were .
So they have "Tendido Bajo "= very good seats and Tendido Alto which are good seats but higher up . Then you have Grados which are very cheap ancd VERY high up .
For a bullfight , I wouldn't book anything other than Tendido Bajo , but I,ve been in high seats at centre court in Wimbledon and had a great view and fantastic atmosphere .... Soooo , I would say that if you get tickets for Tendido Alto .. you'll be high up but it would sort of be equivalent to "Dress Circle " in a theatre . Better to try for front rows of that section though .
Whatever area of the bullring you're in you'll get a decent view .. But for the bullfights , most people want to take photos and so you should go for the lower section ( Tendido Bajo )

As for the Tennis schedule .. I have no idea , but it did strike me as a bit strange that the court is infront of the main entrance because there are various elevated areas around the bullring where you'd be able to watch for free .

Steve

#57496 - 09/14/08 04:39 AM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

OK I've checked up on the format of Davis cup, from someone in the know.

Basically there are five matches only, two singles on day 1, one doubles match only on day 2, and another two singles on the last day.

Of course, as it is a best of 5 match event, it does mean in theory it could be decided on day 2.

Thanks for the seating info Steve Robinson.

#57497 - 09/19/08 09:33 AM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Rafa Nadal was phenomenal .. !! Incredible tennis today at the Plaza de Toros .... USA is gonna have a hard fight on it's hands ! Steve ..A pure pleasure to watch ( TVE 1 ) for those in Spain

#57498 - 09/19/08 01:25 PM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

GO ESPANA !!!!!!!!!!!!! Que increible .. Ferrer was oustanding against Roddick !! I say this out of no national pride ( since i'm English ) But it was great tennis !!

#57499 - 09/20/08 05:30 AM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

I read the spanish tennis players didn't want to play in Madrid because it doesn't suit their strengths !

Whose side is MM on for this one ?

#57500 - 09/20/08 06:32 AM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm ashamed to say that I haven't watched/studied a single minute of this tournament except for the distant views (no audio) I have of it while I'm at the gym so I really can't say.

I imagine what they meant by the statement that playing in Madrid (probably meant to say, playing in Las Ventas to be exact) doesn't suit their strengths because, maybe, most of the Spanish players aren't used to playing on clay or clay dust or clay mixed with sand. I don't know.

I'm actually surprised they didn't play the tournament in the courts in Casa de Campo as they so often do - or even in an indoor arena. Not sure how they chose Las Ventas. Maybe it was cheaper.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57501 - 09/20/08 08:26 AM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
i read somewhere that the Spanish would play it in a venue that the Americans would not like i.e. the heat and altitude and as for the Americans not being suited its all about home advantage,play them where the odds are in your favour i say dont give the opposition a sniff at the end of the day only the winners will be remembererd and when losers complain its will be sour grapes
Good on the Spanish tennis association good choice good venue for the Spanish clap

#57502 - 09/20/08 09:39 AM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Well , the doubles match is happening now and looks like Spain will win the first set ... beginning to look like a whitewash ... Rafa Nadalis watching and yesterday the crown prince ( Felipe ) was there with many other celebrities . Seems Madrid are hosting a very successful Davis Cup .

#57503 - 09/20/08 12:44 PM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

I guess I have to eat my words ... USA won !! in a 5 set thriller !! Steve

#57504 - 09/21/08 04:04 AM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

At least it has gone to a decider on the last day, for people like me who couldn't watch any of it yet.

Actually the article I read suggested the altitude of Madrid suits the Americans more than the Spanish.

http://www.usta.com/USTA/Global/Pro_Tenn..._semifinal.aspx

#57505 - 09/21/08 05:18 AM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

So what are the organisers going to do now !? ( It's raining quite a bit here in Madrid ) ... And "the altitude" .. Has anyone who lives here ever noticed the difference from their own countries .. I come from a very low level county of England ( Essex ) and I certainly cannot tell the difference . Steve

#57506 - 09/21/08 09:02 AM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Wow wow wow wow .... Que pasada ... Nadal is majestic against Roddick !! Tune in if you're in Spain .. TVE1 for the Davis Cup

#57507 - 09/21/08 09:58 AM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

2 formidable players ... What an amazing match ..pure entertainment .. AND in Plaza de Toros !! Dos toreros . Nadal is just awesome !!

#57508 - 09/22/08 03:49 AM Re: Davis Cup - Tennis - Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I totally missed the final - and essentially ALL of the Davis Cup. frown But, at least for me, the altitude thing is real for many United Statesens.

Everytime I came to visit Madrid I noticed it immediately, was out of breath quickly, and a little light-headed when climbing stairs. Even now, after 3-years, climbing stairs is still (but not as) difficult. Maybe it's just age. Ha!

I just read that Spain has won the Davis Cup!! (web: http://www.daviscup.org/ ) See article below:

Quote:

Sublime Nadal clinches Spanish victory
World No. 1 Rafael Nadal turned in a virtuoso performance to defeat American Andy Roddick 64 60 64 to secure Spain’s place in the 2008 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Final.

It wasn’t that Roddick, ranked No. 8 in the world, played badly; it was just that, on this occasion, he was outclassed by Nadal, who played almost faultless tennis, hitting 60 winners to Roddick’s 39 and committing ten fewer unforced errors in the 2 hour, 12 minute encounter.

“Today I play an almost perfect match and it is very, very exciting,” said Nadal after the win. “Today I played very well. I shocked myself with some of the winners I played, was near perfect tennis.”

Nadal dominates from start

The 21,000 strong crowd at the Plaza de Toros Las Ventas in Madrid waited out a 1 hour, 40 minute rain delay before Nadal and Roddick took the court. From almost the first point of the match, the world No. 1 dominated the American, who failed to convert any of the seven break point opportunities he had in the match.

Roddick seemed almost philosophical in defeat, laughing ruefully on the bench at the changeovers with USA Captain Patrick McEnroe:

“He’s possibly the best clay-courter ever so it’s tough, especially when he hits like he did today. He was going for his shots and not leaving much short.”

Roddick gets the fans on his side

Having struggled with the mostly Spanish fans on Friday, Roddick got them on side when he raised his hands as if to ask them to cheer for a missed first serve during the third set. The fans responded by good-naturedly chanting “Roddick, Roddick” and the American player smiled up at the stands.

“Yeah, they’re only going to do that if your getting your butt kicked,” said a good-natured Roddick afterwards.

Nadal showed real emotion in victory but showed his respect for his opponents and his inate good manners by going first to the American bench, shaking every hand before he ran to his own team to celebrate. Carried on the shoulders of Feliciano Lopez, he was saluted by teammates and fans alike in this, his first event in Spain as the new world No. 1. No matador at the Las Ventas, the most important bullring in all of Spain, could have been greeted with more passion or affection than Nadal on this day.

Nadal had a 3-2 advantage in the career head-to-head with the American No. 1 but they had only met once before on clay in the 2004 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Final won by the Spaniard in four sets. The pair played twice before in 2008, with a win for Roddick in Dubai and another for Nadal at Queen’s.

Serving problems in first set

From start to finish, the atmosphere at Las Ventas was electric and full of anticipation of a Spanish victory. Both players held serve easily to start the match despite a poor first service percentage. In the fifth game of the first set, Roddick’s serving woes continued but he staved off three break points against a determined Nadal but on his next service game, Nadal broke with a forehand passing shot down the line and the Spanish flags started flying. Nadal consolidated his break for 5-3 then, with US captain McEnroe exhorting him from the sidelines, Roddick held serve forcing Nadal, who took a spill running for a drop shot, to serve for the set.

After winning the first point, Nadal made three unforced errors for 15-40 giving the American his first break points of the match. A forehand error from Roddick and two forehand winners gave Nadal a first set point and with an emphatic ace, the Spaniard won the first set 64.

Nadal broke in the opening game of the second set with a forehand down the line winner and, with sublime ease, went on to win the second set 60. As in the opening set, the only break points he faced came when he served for the set and, also like the first, he won the set with an ace. This marked the first time that Roddick, who was serving well in the second set, had lost a set to love in Davis Cup and only the fifth time that this had happened in his career.

In the third, Roddick played steadier tennis but Nadal was just too good for him on the day. Although the American saved five match points on his serve for 5-4, the man from Mallorca made no mistake on the first opportunity on his own serve, converting his sixth match point opportunity into a win.

Feliciano Lopez defeated Sam Querrey 76 76 in the dead rubber to make the final score 4-1, after which all the Spanish players and captain Emilio Sanchez spoke to the crowd and thanked them for their support.

Spain will travel to Argentina or Russia for November’s final. Argentina led that tie 2-1 overnight.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments