Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#57370 - 06/27/08 08:11 AM Re: The weather !
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
Air Force

#57371 - 06/27/08 09:10 AM Re: The weather !
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Eddie, I'm somewhat familiar with the "Swamp Coolers" used in New Mexico and considered that to be similar to what the Italians had in mind, the only difference being that (I think) swamp coolers are generally in basements or under the houses. I can see how it's similar but can't imagine the Italian in-house air temperatures would lower past a couple meters after the air passes over the water. Obviously, I'm no chemist/physics expert but I'll take your word for it.

Jamongris wrote:

Quote:
Steve mentions in another post that perhaps he's getting old. I think he's probably right because while English people of our age tend to think in ºF, my daughters' generation think in ºC
It's funny you should mention that because immediately after reading steve robinson's original posting I thought to myself, "Hmmm... But doesn't the UK use degrees centigrade?" but didn't mention it for fear of looking foolish, not knowing what they use. But then again, I know they use MILES - or maybe the new UK generations use Kilometers. I don't know.

Today, now 3pm, it's surprisingly pleasant indoors. But just wait until the sun starts seeping in through the western-facing windows as it's just about to do. THAT'S when things heat up. (oh, and plus I just took a deliciously cold shower)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57372 - 06/27/08 09:40 AM Re: The weather !
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I want to give SOME sort of clarity on this issue .. Since the Uk "joined" Europe we have been forced to adopt European standards .. However .Britain has been slow and reluctant to implement them .. So for weight ( people ) we ( the older generation ) would use "stone" and not kilos or pounds . Liquids now are measured in litres where as I would use "gallons " . Distance is still marked in Miles I think and not kilometres .
I guess what i'm trying to say is that you're totally right to be confused about this .. The diehards , like me , want to keep our original weights and measures , but Europe says no .
Temperature is the strangest one ... When it's hot , the British use farenheight .. 90 degrees , 100 degrees etc .... When it's really cold we use celsius ... -5 degrees celsius ...
So , No real clarity there , but an explanation none the less .

#57373 - 06/27/08 10:42 AM Re: The weather !
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
yes steve you are correcy about the generation gap, if i tell my daughter its 30 feet away she loks at me like i am daft (no comments please!)but if i say its 9mtrs away she fully understands,the problem is the old people (no offence ment) cannot take to the new weights and measures saying they are to old to learn, and i must admit i have a lot of sympathy for them, on the markets stall holders were getting fined for selling a pound of bannanas etc because it should have been in kilos silly in my mind,
and yes we do say 90 degrees (not very often mind)
oh and dont forget the good old pint you cannot take that away from us surely

and you can forget about all these stories about water on the balcony, having a cold shower, sitting in the shade, tired through walking,
because i dont believe you !
because its STILL BOUNCING DOWN HERE thumbsup

#57374 - 06/27/08 11:05 AM Re: The weather !
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Ok .. I'm 42 years old .. I wouldn't say I was old ( but definitely not young hehehe ) but , quite frankly , I see no reason why we should change just because of a federal Europe .. As a famous Frenchman said "Vive la difference " .
I loved it when i travelled from Germany to Belgium , France etc and you had to have a different currency ! That was part of the fun ! I remember arriving in Luxembourg , late at night with a friend , and we had no currency with us . We parked at the main railway station in Ville de Luxembourg , and I just said well i'll use my bank card to get us some money .. I remember the ATM asking me how many BELGIAN francs or Luxembourgeois Francs I wanted ... I had no idea of the exchange rate but guessed . All part of cultural diversity and the fun of travelling .

#57375 - 06/27/08 11:08 AM Re: The weather !
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
A lot of people in Madrid use a portable version of a "swamp cooler". You stick it in an open window and a fan vaporizes the water, which creates cold air. The best part is they don't cost more to run than a regular fan. You can buy them at most places that sell mini-split air conditioners.

#57376 - 06/27/08 11:17 AM Re: The weather !
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Madridmadridmadrid .... Now that is a real eye opener for me ... My AC is not great and though i've lived here for 3 years I'd like to find an alternative cooling system ... Might just look out for one of those portable coolers ... I've never seen them though .. Would I get them in a ferreteria or a big department store ?

#57377 - 06/27/08 02:11 PM Re: The weather !
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
madridmadridmadrid, I'm intrigued!!! Is what you're describing look liked a portable dishwater on wheels and there's a long tube which must go outside? I thought this WAS a conventional air conditioner - or is it what you're describing? Can you tell us what this thing is called and/or find some photos of it on the internet?

Right now, as a kind of experiment, I have the fan in the window pointing directly at me. There's a large container of water on the counter just in front of it so the fan is blowing over the water. I really can't say it feels any cooler than it does otherwise. I do feel the sweat on my back evaporating which is cooling me down though. laugh

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57378 - 06/28/08 04:09 PM Re: The weather !
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Check these out:

http://www.elcorteingles.es/hogar/producto/lista_productos.asp?cpam=255&tpam=ssc&ccat=93

They are different from the regular aire acondicionado portátil. You fill them with water and they don't have freon or any other coolant. It's the evaporation of the water that causes the air to cool. And you don't have to use the hose to vent it outside, you just stick it near a window that's cracked (to draw in air from outside that is dry). I think stores like Menaje del hogar have something similar, but cheaper.

They are good for taking the edge off, but not if you like it freezing cold.

#57379 - 06/28/08 05:10 PM Re: The weather !
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Wow ... i like the sound of those ... The BBC was reporting today that tomorrow Madrid will be the hottest capital city in Europe at 39 degrees ... I can hear Madrid Man scurrying into his bunker right now !! Really though it's insoportable ... unbearable ... Those guys in the Plaza de Colon for the big match are going to have problems for sure tomorrow .
The thing is that the night time temperatures stay high .. Right now it's 11 o'clock at night and 82 degrees ( 28 degrees celsius ) .. You know , actually I love it .. so exotic ... But when I try to get some sleep .. ? NO CHANCE .
Some sort of Latino party going on right now here in my neighbourhood ... Young latinos dressed to impress have been flooding in to a bar nearby called Juanchitos ( c/ Fundadores ) .. Nice to see the younger generation really making an effort and looking great !

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1806 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments