Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57327 - 06/18/08 06:24 AM Madrid - Orgullo2008/Gay Pride parade .
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Gay pride ( Orgullo ) in Madrid is almost here and there's already a buzz beginning in Chueca ( the gay barrio ) . Posters and flyers everywhere are advertising the event as well as giving details of the many parties , in bars and clubs , that will be taking place between June 28th and July 6th .

The main "Mardi Gras" parade is on Saturday 5th July . Last year it's estimated that 3.5 million people crammed the streets of Chueca and the parade route ( Alcala , Gran via etc .. ) .

The official opening of Orgullo will take place in Plaza de Chueca at 8pm on July 2nd .

During the week ( more likely starting July 2nd ) sound stages will be set up around Chueca with various bands and performers playing . This year appears to be entirely Spanish/Latino ( not a bad thing at all ! Great for dancing ! ) . One name that springs to mind is Amaral who is hugely popular here in Spain .

The 5 "most important places" - hot spots - in Chueca will be : 1) Calle Pelayo 2) Plaza Chueca 3) Calles San Bartolome / Infantas /c. Capuchinos 4) Plaza del Rey and 5) Plaza Vazquez de Mella .

Bars and clubs will set up "Chiringuitos" . "Chiringuitos" being like a beach bar but set up outside the bar/club in the street . Streets will be closed to traffic . Some bars/clubs such as "Why Not " in Calle San Bartolome will have music blaring out long into the evening/mornings . Even the leather/bear bars will continue their theme outside their bars .

The 2nd July also sees "Orgullo Flamenco" which will feature some flamenco stars appropriate to the occasion ( Should be interesting ) . The conservative / traditional world of Flamenco has accepted a few gay stars in it's ranks recently .

Since we're now starting to experience the true summer heat ( hitting the mid 90s this weekend ) it's absolutely vital you carry plenty of water if you decide to go to the parade . You'll be right out in the open with not too many places to hide !! Some of the floats will have water cannons to spray the crowd once in a while so have something to protect valuables such as cameras . Beware pick pockets of course .. Unavoidable in a big city like this despite the large police presence .

The whole week finishes with parties all over Chueca and beyond . "Palacio de Deportes" , a concert/sports venue in the Salamanca barrio of Madrid will host the annual leisure/cultural festival for the gay/transexual community - Infinita08 - . It's a big party with DJs , Music etc .. Tickets are about 35 Euros . The website is : www.infinitamentegay.com . The site's in Spanish and English , though the English is only half translated .. But you'll get a good idea .

So , if you're in Madrid , gay or not , enjoy the parade and the "ambiente" ( atmosphere ) . It'll be great fun !

Steve

#57328 - 06/24/08 12:59 PM Re: Madrid - Orgullo2008/Gay Pride parade .
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Hey , anybody coming to Madrid for Orgullo !! Drop me a line . It's gonna be a big party .

#57329 - 07/03/08 06:07 AM Re: Madrid - Orgullo2008/Gay Pride parade .
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
So the big parade is this coming Saturday, eh? Hope the temperatures aren't as high as they have been in the past. Not sure I'll go this year but there's always the possibility.

The difference in media coverage this year to last year is remarkable. Of course last year Madrid played host to the HUGE Euro-wide-Pride festival and this year, well, it's just for Madrid. wink

Did anyone here go to last night's opening?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57330 - 07/04/08 08:30 AM Re: Madrid - Orgullo2008/Gay Pride parade .
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Well I didn't go to the opening ceremony but I did , on a whim , walk to Chueca last night and it was rocking , literally ... !!! Absolutely astonishing ..
I first went to Plaza del Rey where they had a great music stage with some cool acts mainly , I think , for the lesbian community . Big bars like "Liquid" had their chiringuitos set up and it was nothing short of perfect summer entertainment .
HOWEVER .. then I got to Plaza de Chueca .. Well I hardly know where to start .. The whole square was packed out , with chiringuito bars serving large amounts of beer , Sangria and cocktails .. A sound stage had dancers and singers that were sooo loud my feet were lifting off the ground !! Laser lights flashing allover the square . Got some great photos and video . I propped myself up at a bar run by my friends at BeBop ( A bar in plaza de Chueca ) .. I walked back home about 1:30am ( the party was still going strong ) and I have to say I was a little tipsy jeje .. I sort of weaved my way back home .. But it was a great party !
Today is Mr.Gay Espana .. as the main event .. Tomorrow is the big parade with millions attending ..
I'm going to need a break after all this !

#57331 - 07/05/08 05:05 AM Re: Madrid - Orgullo2008/Gay Pride parade .
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

So tonight's the big parade. What time is it supposed to start and end? Last year we were apparently there at the wrong hour because we saw nothing more than groups of people in street clothes passing down the Gran Vía carrying their regional flags. We stood there for an hour in the sun and saw nothing more. I suppose we were too early.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57332 - 07/05/08 06:04 AM Re: Madrid - Orgullo2008/Gay Pride parade .
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

It starts at 6pm and will probably last for about 4 hours stopping and starting ... The theme theme this year is vilsibility fof the Lesbian community often overshadowed by the rest of the gay community ...
I was in Chueca yesterday for Mr.Gay pride .. In Plaza Vasquez de Mella .. Lots of young men in their underwear .. I was front row jejeje ... Very good .. Then met friends and just joined the street parties 'til the early hours phew !

#57333 - 07/05/08 12:15 PM Re: Madrid - Orgullo2008/Gay Pride parade .
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hello, is it time to take the underground and go towards Gran Via, when gay sees the parade Pride,I hope that it is not hot

#57334 - 07/05/08 01:19 PM Re: Madrid - Orgullo2008/Gay Pride parade .
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

There's a chance I'll "catch the tail end" wink of the parade but with his afternoon heat I'm not all that enthused about putting on clothes and going downtown. We'll see. I'm surprised - or not - that there's no live coverage on TeleMadrid!

Saludos, MadridMan

#57335 - 07/05/08 03:43 PM Re: Madrid - Orgullo2008/Gay Pride parade .
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Well , coverage of some Gay Pride events are not covered for privacy reasons .... That really says a lot about what it is to be gay ... I'm quite open , but have friends here who's family and religion will NOT accept their sexuality .What a shame that something so natural is so often repressed and satanised .. But I guess there are other sites for that discussion .
I was at the parade today in Madrid and it was incredible ... I've seen Gay pride here 2 years running so decided to get a different view and walked down to Calle Alfonso X11 where the floats were all getting ready . What a party !! It's incredibly hot here right now and the boys and the girls chicos todos .. were getting naked ! I didn't know where to look ..so cool .. And the policia Nacional were all ther , in uniform , and it was sort of difficult to tell if they were law enforcers or part of the parade jajajaja .
I got burnt to a crisp .. so had to have a long cold shower ... People coming to Madrid beware ..It's hot and you NEED to take precautions . My " ancestry" is gypsy so I can deal with the heat better but it's still heavy going .
Anyway the parade was astounding and , you have to give me some slack here , but to see a group of guys and girls dancing on top of a bus infront of Puerta del Alcala ready togo down Gran Via was inspiring ...Modern meeting new ..
Gay Pride madrid has been a huge success ... Thank you Madrid !! ( por la mayor parte ) for your understanding and enthusiasm for willing to party in the name of Orgullo .

#57336 - 07/05/08 03:54 PM Re: Madrid - Orgullo2008/Gay Pride parade .
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Modern meeting old sorry , Guess than sun got to me jeje It really is hot here ufff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1848 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments