Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#57315 - 05/27/08 09:51 AM Baby Jumping Ritual in Castrillo de Murcia
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
ive just been reading the paper and an article on Spain,a man jumps over six newborn babies as part of a dangerous devil-banishing ritual.
Mattresses full of babies are laid out in the Spanish town of Castrillo de Murcia as villagers protect there young from evil spirits by performing this weird ceromany, parents believe it helps keep there kids free from disease, the ritual dates back to 1621 and the man is said to represent the devil fleeing the sight of christ,

has anybody got any more information of this ritual which i find quite strange in this day and age :yuck:

#57316 - 05/27/08 11:50 AM Re: Baby Jumping Ritual in Castrillo de Murcia
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...

It's amazing how long some superstitions/rituals can last. But I can assure you that almost no one actually believes it. It's all just for fun now.

And as my high school coach always told me (usually AFTER I've sprained an ankle), "It's always funny until someone gets hurt."

Go to http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index.htm?fx=event&event_id=13472 and read about it.

Quote:
Since 1620 Castrillo de Murcia has celebrated Corpus Christi with a bizarre event that sees grown men dressed as the Devil leaping over helpless babies, an act that is known as El Colacho.

The Catholic festival of Corpus Christi is celebrated all over Spain with processions, mystery plays and a wide variety of popular celebrations, but this one has to be the strangest. It is believed that as the incarnate devils jump they take all their evil with them and the children are cleansed.

The event's origins are vague, but the celebration is an example of the mix of traditional Spanish folklore and religion, and great fun to watch!

The celebrations continue for a few days but the most important day is the Sunday following Corpus Christi. The shadowy brotherhood of Sant�simo Sacramento de Minerva - the people responsible for organising the celebrations - also chase and terrorise anybody and everybody in the town at regular intervals throughout the day.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57317 - 05/27/08 01:32 PM Re: Baby Jumping Ritual in Castrillo de Murcia
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
after watching the video the person who gets all them babies settled deserves a medal they must all be strapped in laugh

i must admit when the Spaniards have a justo (is that the word?) or festival they do go at it properly everything is grand and everybody gets dressed up and involved in the occasion, all seem to enjoy it,i think it is fantastic when i have been to festivals or parades, when we have things its all done half heartidly, i think its great the whole town/city gets involved and make it a specticle and on the plus side they seem to go on for days clap

#57318 - 06/04/08 11:42 AM Re: Baby Jumping Ritual in Castrillo de Murcia
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Does anyone have a video of goat being thrown from the top of a church, I would like to see that. When I saw the baby jumping photo that what is I thought of.

If you have read Tim Parfitt's book A Load of Bull, you will know what I am talking about or check this old A MadridMan Message About This Book .

It looks like an easy jump, but I have to think the jumper would practice since babies are involved.

Bill

#57319 - 06/04/08 01:21 PM Re: Baby Jumping Ritual in Castrillo de Murcia
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Quote:
Does anyone have a video of goat being thrown from the top of a church, I would like to see that.
I saw the video years ago in the USA on one of those "Caught On Video" shows. The village which does/did this is Manganeses de la Polvorosa in northern Spain. No video that I could find but there's a 2000 BBC article about it HERE

excerpt:
Quote:
Obscure tradition

The origins of the village's tradition are unclear but one legend has it that a priest's goat whose milk fed the poor, fell from the bell tower and was saved by townspeople stretching out a blanket.

Despite a fall of 15 metres, the goat is not always hurt in the hurling ritual as villagers hold a tarpaulin underneath to catch it.

Animal rights activists still claim the practice is barbaric, pointing out that some goats do die and those which survive have gone through unnecessary fear.

Protests in 1992 persuaded the local governor to ban the toss and that year the goat was lowered on ropes. But a year later the tradition was resumed.

Spain's National Association of Animal Welfare and Protection had reported agreement had been reached to use a stuffed goat this year but it never materialized.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/world/50360.stm
http://www.manganesesdelapolvorosa.com/

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1925 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments