Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#57292 - 03/26/08 08:03 AM National Bird of Spain
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
My students asked me today if there is a national bird of Spain... I googled and wikipediaed and all those types of things and I cant find an answer... does anyone on this board know if there is a national bird of Spain?javascript:void(0) :hdspin:

#57293 - 03/26/08 08:40 AM Re: National Bird of Spain
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

It may be the águila imperial or the águila imperial ibérica. I can't really tell since I only looked for a few minutes, but I used www.google.es instead of www.google.com and that came up with some answers. In any case, this bird is endangered and apparently can only be found on the Iberian peninsula. Perhaps someone else will have a different idea or could confirm this. ¡Buena suerte! xfingers

#57294 - 03/26/08 09:32 AM Re: National Bird of Spain
CascadaDuSel Offline

Good thought!!! Your right maybe it is ... I am still looking for something official... my idea was maybe the ciguena

#57295 - 03/26/08 07:28 PM Re: National Bird of Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Sorry, I can't confirm that it's the águila imperial ibérica; but I think you're on the right track there. After all, Äguila's premium beer is Äguila Imperial.

I've seen a lot of Storks in Alcalá de Henares, and Vultures in el Gran Cañon del Duratón; and one or two hawks that may have been Eagles (i.e. águilas), and Palomas Blancas (white doves) in many places.

#57296 - 03/26/08 07:31 PM Re: National Bird of Spain
Neddie Offline

Loc: Atlanta USA
...It would appear that Spain does not have a national bird (nor does Portugal!!) One of the sites i went to was http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/CountryIndex.htm#S

You may want to try snooping around www.refdesk.com

I did find a number of people asking the same question as their kids had it in a homework assignment...LOL

#57297 - 03/26/08 08:41 PM Re: National Bird of Spain
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I was so curious about this (a great way to procrastinate from doing work I really need to do, too rolleyes ) that I emailed the librarian at the Instituto Cervantes. He wrote back that he did not know of any animal that was officially a symbol of Spain, but he said that the toro and the lince ibérico would be the most representative. I'm not familiar with the iberian lynx, but of course I know the bull very well! laugh

#57298 - 03/27/08 07:35 AM Re: National Bird of Spain
CascadaDuSel Offline

Oh you guys are all so great!! Thanks - I will let you know if I can find anything out.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1947 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments