Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#57264 - 12/08/07 07:29 PM Old Spanish money!!
Neddie Offline

Loc: Atlanta USA
...at the risk of aging myself and maybe those who may be able to give me the answers, smile ), some years ago when i was in Spain the term "duro" was frequenty heard. I think it referred to a 5 peseta coin. Is the term still used now that the Euro is the prevailing currency? Also, i think there was a term for 1000 pesetas, which i can't recall....if my memory serves me they use the term "conto" in Portugal for 1000 Escudos. Is there a similar term in Spain?

#57265 - 12/09/07 01:36 AM Re: Old Spanish money!!
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I believe the 1000 peseta note was referred to as a "talega".

#57266 - 12/09/07 01:50 PM Re: Old Spanish money!!
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
it is talego, talega is where the old silver coins was put into .sorry for the details.

#57267 - 06/16/08 03:43 PM Re: Old Spanish money!!
Yankaluz Offline

Loc: SoCal, USA
Back during the time of Pesetas and long before the idea od Euros ever existed some people mostly from the south and correct me if I'm mistaken, counted money in duro terms, I have an uncle who did that and drove me crazy but for some reason everything was counted on duros.

For example, if the alternator of a Seat 1500 costs 5,000 pesetas he'd say "Mil duros" 1,000 duros which is the same in monetary terms.

If a bocadillo de chorizo at the local panaderia was 50 pesetas then it'd be 10 duros and so on.
(Yes, I could walk over to the local panaderia and ask el panadero to make me a bocadillo right on the spot, he'll cut the viena or bollo depending what kind of bread and the chorizo, mortadela, salchichon, whatever meat and make it for 50 pesetas) ...ah, good times...

Oh, and "un talego" meant 1,000 pesetas (200 duros) wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1677 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments