MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57050 - 04/23/07 07:40 PM the exchange rate
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
The price of the Euro and GBP is killing me!

I was seriously planning a trip into London, Paris, Brussels and Barcelona this winter, but with the exchange rate as bad as it is, I'm beginning to doubt it at this point. Even with the 2 for 1 airfare I've got through Amex, a 2 plus week trip would be WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! frown

#57051 - 04/24/07 08:00 AM Re: the exchange rate
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
I feel your pain! I just purchased Euros at the equivelent rate of $100 E to $147.16 dollars. That is horrible for us!

#57052 - 04/24/07 05:04 PM Re: the exchange rate
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
May be that's a great opportunity for the Spanish people to visit the USA.
How expensive is the USA compared to Spain?

#57053 - 04/24/07 06:19 PM Re: the exchange rate
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
As of today 1 Euro = $1.36 It is a very good time to come to the US.

#57054 - 04/25/07 03:29 AM Re: the exchange rate
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Valenciano_en_Madrid: I noticed that at El Corte Inglés the new Sony Playstation 3 (60GB) is 600 Euros. That's about $819 USD. In the USA, the same console is $600!! That's about 440 Euros. Too bad one couldn't buy it in the USA and bring it back to Spain - although the electricity would be different and possibly the Bluy Ray Disc would only play in NTSC format.

Things in the USA, in general, are pretty cheap including restaurants, clothing, gasoline (believe it or not!) toiletries/aspirin/alka-seltzer. But beer, wine, bread, and milk is expensive. It used to be that these "staples" were the cheapest things in the USA but not anymore.

Some family of mine are coming to visit me soon from the USA so they'll definitely feel the BITE of the Euro versus the USDollar.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57055 - 07/06/08 05:55 PM Re: the exchange rate
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Quote:
A euro now buys as much as $1.55 in the United States.
And things are even worse than last year! There was an article in today's USATODAY.com website entitled " The buck doesn\'t stop here; it just keeps falling ".

Quote:
The almighty dollar is mighty no more. It has been declining steadily for six years against other major currencies, undercutting its role as the leading international banking currency. The long slide is fanning inflation at home and playing a major role in the run-up of oil and gasoline prices everywhere.

Vacationing Europeans are finding bargains in the U.S., while Americans in Paris and other world capitals are being clobbered by sky-high tabs for hotels, travel and even sidewalk cafes. Northern border-city Americans who once flocked into Canada for shopping deals are staying home; it's the Canadians flocking here now.
rolleyes

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57056 - 07/06/08 08:34 PM Re: the exchange rate
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Ugh, I am trying not to think about how much this is going to cost me to come to Spain for two weeks! My American dollar is not going to get me very far! :yuck:

#57057 - 07/07/08 11:10 PM Re: the exchange rate
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Know what you mean, I'm coming over in December this year, and I've been buying Euros a little at a time....can't wait to come back to my fav place....

#57058 - 07/08/08 04:07 AM Re: the exchange rate
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
It's sort of wierd but as MM knows ,I used to be a trader in London's financial markets .
The dollar is always considered the major currency but towards the end of my 19 years there people were asking "why?"
The Euro has always been a topic of intense discussion in the UK but we've always been very protective of the British pound .. And it's , more than often , been stronger than the main currencies .. Dollar , Yen , Euro ... The only one currency that can hold a light to us is the Swiss Franc .. A popular "safe haven "

#57059 - 07/08/08 07:18 AM Re: the exchange rate
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I think i need to apologize in a way ... My comment is NOT anti-American Dollar but it's a "question" of whether Anerica deserves the right to the power they seem to yield ... It's an opinion .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments