Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#56980 - 02/04/07 12:25 PM Madrid Easter Holiday closures?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
(originally posted by Bev on 02-04-2007 02:11 AM)

My daughter is studying in Madrid but will not be there during the week leading up to Easter. We want to visit her the week after Easter but want to come earlier since we are off the week she will be traveling. We have been to Madrid before but I want to know if everything will be closed on Good Friday and on Easter Sunday or do you think we could still do some day trips that weekend to maybe Escorial or Segovia. I don't want to get to Madrid and not be able to do anything while we are waiting for her return. Thanks for any help. (Also if you know any airlines that fly cheap from the states to Barcelona I would go there first for a few days but the only deals seem to be to Madrid right now)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#56981 - 02/05/07 10:22 AM Re: Madrid Easter Holiday closures?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Most (if not all) shops will be closed both on Good Friday and Easter Sunday. The Monastery at San Lorenzo de El Escorial will have normal schedule on both days. However, Prado Museum, for instance, will be closed on Good Friday, but not on Easter Sunday. Expect almost everything to be in a holiday schedule rather than in a regular one.

#56982 - 02/05/07 10:51 AM Re: Madrid Easter Holiday closures?
Bev Offline

Loc: nyc
Thanks. We just booked to arrive on the 5th of April. So maybe we could book a trip or take a bus to El Escorial on Good Friday. How about restaurants, are they all open? I would guess so.People have to eat. What exactly goes on in Madrid on those days, I have heard about parades, etc. Is that true?

#56983 - 02/06/07 04:48 AM Re: Madrid Easter Holiday closures?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Restaurants are more likely to be open, but some of them could be closed on Good Friday, too. Anyway, considering the enormous offer of them in Madrid, you should not have any problem to find one to fit your needs.

On those days there are processions rather than parades. Despite not being so traditional and spectacular in Madrid as in other parts of Spain (Andalusia, Valladolid, Zamora, Murcia,...) it can be interesting to watch. Most of them run on the old Madrid streets, so it will be very easy to find if you are in a centrally located hotel. Ask in the reception or catch any of the most popular newspapers (ABC, El Mundo, EL PAÍS,...) where you will find plans of their routes.

#56984 - 02/06/07 04:51 PM Re: Madrid Easter Holiday closures?
Hector Offline

Loc: Florida
Found your replies regarding Easter very informative as we will be in Madrid for Easter after two weeks driving through west and north central Spain. Regarding El Escorial, what is the best way to get there, not the cheapist? We won't have our car in Madrid. Good info on the processions, we've run into them before.

#56985 - 02/06/07 05:17 PM Re: Madrid Easter Holiday closures?
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
To El Escorial(town san lorenzo del escorial) go to Recoletos cercanias train station near plaza colon and take line C-8a (train line number for Cercanias 8a)

the above answers that question of el Escorial from my response in another thread.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2236 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments