Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#56966 - 01/24/07 11:07 AM Madrid in August: a mistake to go?
joycenj Offline

We take a family vacation at the end of August every year and are planning a trip to Madrid 8/19. We will be traveling with 2 teenagers. I have now started to read that it is unbearably hot and that many restaurants and shops are closed as this is vacation time. Should we not take this trip?

#56967 - 01/24/07 11:45 AM Re: Madrid in August: a mistake to go?
nevado Offline

I think August is heaven in Madrid because you can park!!! I'm sure that's not a concern for you, but there really are less people around it makes for better circulation as well. The amount of closures won't really be a problem for a tourist...you'll still find plenty of open establishments in a large city and around the tourist areas. For Spaniards, it's hard to get things done like paperwork, repairs, even jewelry shops can't size rings (I almost didn't have my ring for my wedding because I didn't think a month ahead)!!
About the heat...yes, it will be hot, but I personally think July is hotter. Last year the weather was crazy during August...I was in Sevilla with a SWEATER on!!!! Unheard of! Many places have air conditioning and you'll want to do the "siesta" thing...stay off the streets from 2-5 if it's really bad.
One thing that's nice is accommodations are either cheaper or easier to come by.

#56968 - 01/24/07 11:52 AM Re: Madrid in August: a mistake to go?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It is hot in August, no doubt about it, and some restaurants and shops are closed, yes. But there are still plenty (more than half, that's for sure) of both to make you happy.

Several of our USA-based members who are teachers have come here in the summer and I'm sure they can better tell you how their kids survived the heat.

In many ways, August is the BEST time to visit Madrid because it's so much more quiet, quieter than the rest of the year in fact, less traffic, fewer pedestrians, shorter lines at many functions, except museum lines can be longer, full of school groups.

Esperanza? Hope you're reading this! I remember you were here last summer with your two teenage daughters. GoMadrid? You've been here several times in the summer. How did your son take the heat?

Any other input? Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#56969 - 01/24/07 09:33 PM Re: Madrid in August: a mistake to go?
SRedw Offline

I can agree with what's been said here. I LOVE MADRID IN AUGUST. Less people and you canactually have some side streets to yourself and not have to worry about people bumping into you. Such a wonderful feeeling.

If you can go and experience Madrid in August, please do. I think you will enjoy it.

Shawn

#56970 - 01/24/07 09:59 PM Re: Madrid in August: a mistake to go?
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Hi there!! Well, Madrid in August is really hot! You need to have a hotel with air conditioning, and realize that you cannot do the amount of walking that you would probably like to do in the afternoon. I would just recommend taking a good siesta in the afternoon and then going out after 7pm. That said, Madrid is Madrid...an amazing city! You should not "miss" Madrid just because of the heat.

#56971 - 01/24/07 10:51 PM Re: Madrid in August: a mistake to go?
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
I was in Madrid in July, one time, and it was the same weather that we have in the Central Valley of California that time of the year, which means HOT!!

We stayed in air-conditioned places....

To be honest, when we are on vacation, nothing slows us down. It is just a fact of life...

Would I avoid Madrid in the Summer? Absolutely not! Certainly not if the choice was go..or no go. Just drink a lot of beer, sangría, tinto de verano.....and Fanta limón for the kids..

#56972 - 01/24/07 11:03 PM Re: Madrid in August: a mistake to go?
Vegas baby Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV USA
August in Madrid is nothing!
Try Las Vegas in August! (Think 118* DRY HEAT!)

#56973 - 01/24/07 11:55 PM Re: Madrid in August: a mistake to go?
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
In my humble opinion, it's never a bad time to go to Madrid. I spent a few days there at the end of last July and loved it (even though I stayed with a friend in her non-air conditioned apartment). Sure there were fewer cars in the streets and a lesser number of people walking around. But strolling along La Gran Via late on a Saturday afternoon, I still felt a vibrancy and energy present almost equal to what I feel in New York City where I live. I stopped into a little store and had a wonderful conversation with the owner (who after getting over his initial surprise that I speak Spanish then assumed I was British). Madrid continues to be my favorite city in Europe.

#56974 - 01/25/07 02:04 PM Re: Madrid in August: a mistake to go?
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I was in Madrid in August 2005 and July 2006; and so before that. Its a blast!!!
and drove my car in !!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2396 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments