MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56953 - 01/23/07 07:55 PM Semana Santa
Brettcito Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Hi everyone,

I have searched the message board and have definitely found fantastic advice, but I'm hoping you can help me further. I am considering a trip to Spain from March 30-April 11, which would be a surprise trip for my boyfriend's 40th birthday. Neither of us has ever been to Spain. From what I gather on the board, Semana Santa can be a great time to visit but can also be a huge hassle (traffic and money). We like to cover a lot of ground when traveling, so would normally plan to rent a car and drive a lot.

Do you have any advice? I have not yet booked tickets, and I'm wondering whether I should consider another destination that doesn't observe Semana Santa (the dates are not flexible, but the location is completely). I don't want to undergo the expense and use up vacation time if we would get more out of visiting another time. I am mostly worried about traffic, high hostal rates, and missing the "normal" atmosphere of the cities while all the Spaniards are vacationing. It sounds like these can be detriments during holy week, but I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
Brett, New York

#56954 - 01/24/07 01:01 AM Re: Semana Santa
nevado Offline

I think it's a fantastic time to visit and wouldn't be put off by the traffic, crowds, and prices. I think the prices will start to increase but more for the start of tourism season than semana santa. It's not that noticable so I wouldn't worry, it would be the same usually from April to September, perhaps higher in the summer, especially around the coastal regions.
Most working Spaniards don't have the entire week off so you really only need to worry about traffic if you're leaving a major city, let's say Madrid, on Friday, Apr. 6 or something. Try and get where you're going before Friday and don't plan on doing a long-haul trip that weekend. Things will be closed but not the entire time...the added attractions make up for the day or two you'll be without some of the regular services. I do suggest, however, going to a church on Palm Sunday, even if just to hang outside and see the amazing braided palm creations; they're exquisite.

#56955 - 01/24/07 05:44 AM Re: Semana Santa
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
The place where we stay in Andalucia lists peak season as beginning 16 July (la Virgen de Carmen) thru mid September and Semana Santa. Madrileños flock to seashore resorts, many for the entire week, some for Thursday thru Monday (also a work holiday). You are quite correct in your 'crowded and expensive' expectation.

Once we took an early morning AVE to Sevilla from Madrid on Friday of Semana Santa, went to el Portal de la Macarena to see the Procession returning from its all night journey, and spent the rest of the day doing Tourist stuff. We took a 20:00 AVE back to Madrid, arriving just in time for supper. 'Same day return' got us a 25% discount on AVE tix.

#56956 - 01/24/07 07:53 AM Re: Semana Santa
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Semana Santa in Spain is something REALLY special - something NOT to be missed. Yes, you have to deal with traffic around the big cities and paying "peak season" rates throughout Spain, but it's truly special, even for the non-religious. Smaller villages also have smaller processions (usually!) with fewer people.

Madrid has processions too but, being such a large city there's always no shortage of lodging available. However, it's not the best place to see Semana Santa processions either because of the large crowds watching it can be difficult getting close enough to see something.

I've seen Semana Santa processions in Madrid, Navalcarnero (village near Madrid), Toledo, Seville, Santiago de Compostela, Barcelona, San Sebastián-Donostia, Olivenza & Zafra, and a number of tiny villages of which I don't remember their names.

"The Place To Be" is definitely Seville first and, secondly, anywhere in Andalucía. Cooler, northern Spain should be less-populated with Semana Santa travelers, relative to Andalucía, while much of the country goes SOUTH for the warmer climate.

Best of luck and be sure to BOOK THOSE HOTELS/HOSTELS soon! Don't get shutout!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#56957 - 01/24/07 09:48 PM Re: Semana Santa
Brettcito Offline

Thank you all for your great advice -- I really appreciate the input. Just hearing that these dates aren't a complete nightmare makes me much more confident.

Considering that I have about 10-11 days, is it reasonable to pack in Madrid, Toledo, Seville, Granada, Cordoba, a drive up the Mediterranean coast, and Barcelona? If I have to choose between Madrid and Barcelona, which would you recommend?

And as for lodging -- besides Andalucia, will I need to make reservations for the whole trip in advance, or can I expect to be able to make a morning phonecall each day to reserve a room for the night? I am imagining reserving a room for the first 2 nights (and the last night) in Madrid, a couple nights in Andalucia, and then leaving the nights in between free for exploring. Is that too much to hope for?

Thanks again to all for your thoughts -- I'm starting to really get going here!

--Brett

#56958 - 01/25/07 02:53 PM Re: Semana Santa
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
you will have and your boyfriend a great time in semana santa: the best one is in Sevilla. YOu def need to make reservation in semana santa time or you will be out. especially in Sevilla,granada and cordoba. I would choose Madrid anytime over Barcelona just a personal choice....
10-11 days you will have to move fast to see all; why not Madrid,Toledo, Sevilla,Granada ,and Cordoba.

#56959 - 02/15/07 12:47 AM Re: Semana Santa
Brettcito Offline

Update -- prices were going up each day, so I hurried up, took a deep breath, and booked tickets! Now we are flying into Barcelona on March 31, and flying out of Madrid 12 days later. I have reservations in Barcelona (Hotel California), Granada (Hostal La Ninfa), and Sevilla (Hotel Puerta de Sevilla). I will make reservations for Madrid too.

My tentative plan:

Barcelona, 2 days
drive Barcelona-Valencia(?), 1 day
drive Valencia(?)-Granada,1 day
Granada, 2 days
Sevilla, 2 days (inc. Good Friday)
Cordoba/Toledo, 1 day
Madrid, 3 days

How does that sound? From my reading it seems that the drive from Barcelona to Granada can be boring -- would it be better to take a train or cheap flight, save travel time, and skip Valencia? Also, should I make a visit to Ronda (or any other suggestions)? The guidebook I am reading makes Ronda sound impressive but I don't want to shortchange my time in Sevilla or Madrid.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions -- already your feedback has been extremely helpful.

--Brett

#56960 - 02/16/07 05:49 AM Re: Semana Santa
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

cordoba/toledo 1 day you will be on the road then? other than that i think it will work. do not skip Valencia and i am a firm believer in car travel.
Ronda is very nice,but not at the expense of Sevilla or Madrid.

#56961 - 02/16/07 02:31 PM Re: Semana Santa
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
Semana Santa will bet at the end of our first week in Madrid , where abouts in Madrid can I watch it , I remember watching it in Toledo when I was a kid so im looking forward to seeing it again

#56962 - 02/16/07 03:22 PM Re: Semana Santa
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

april 8 or 9 i believe it falls; and it should be good at barrio Latina.
I have not caught with it for a few years now but i used to go there when living in Madrid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2037 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments