Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#56846 - 10/26/06 07:34 PM Re: English/American Accents in Spaniards?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Irish, Australian and American: you would fit right in in Boston!
But there are different accents in Ireland, also. My father was from west Limerick. He had a very thick brogue.

Once, on a Continental airlines flight SNN-EWR, a man sitting in front of me tried to ask the flight attendant for something. She didn't understand him and asked if he spoke English. I intervened and told her what he was saying.

So, if you're going to learn English in Ireland, don't do it in west Limerick (or west Cork).

#56847 - 10/27/06 03:39 PM Re: English/American Accents in Spaniards?
janel Offline

Loc: Madrid
I am an American who has been teaching English to adults in Madrid for 6 years. I agree with Debbie and whoever else said Spanish people in general dont have American accents but Spanish accents.
And I would beg to differ about people listening to American news shows. That is relatively new on TV here and I wouldnt expect many spaniards to spend much time watching it that it would drastically affect their accent. Spaniards love watching movies that are dubbed into their own language and will tell you how great the dubbing actors are.. intl awards, etc. That doesnt do much for their English.
Some people do have a more marked British accent, if you will, because of their studies but I would say the others are not necisarily American influenced in general. Although there ARE quite a lot of Americans teaching english to adults in in-company classes, at that point in the learning curve most people do not easily loose or change their accents.

#56848 - 10/28/06 11:38 AM Re: English/American Accents in Spaniards?
jabch Offline

So in your opinion most Spaniards do not use an American or English accent when they speak English. They simply have their own English-language accent?

#56849 - 10/29/06 07:00 AM Re: English/American Accents in Spaniards?
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
in classrooms in Europe and Latin America they teach you English UK as they would teach French or Spanish from the mother country. But each individual country's accents take over once a new language is learned ,so I would agree with Janel. I am cuban american french! speak all 3;american from NY accent , French with a Spanish accent(go figure this frenchies) and Cuban nobody knows they all tell me i do not have it???.

#56850 - 10/30/06 05:58 PM Re: English/American Accents in Spaniards?
JAcosta Offline

Loc: Los Angeles Calif.
Interesting I wonder how the inverse applies to US folk learning Spanish? I guess here in California (or is that Khalyfornyia) would emulate a Mexican or South American Spanish accent.

From my work I get a free Spanish package and get the TVE station from Madrid which I enjoy watching.

#56851 - 11/01/06 01:37 PM Re: English/American Accents in Spaniards?
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes indeed JAcosta; it is correct in your area the accent will be more mexicans then in NY it will be more puertorican and miami cubans; one tend to stick to the accent of the mayority sort of to fit in. When I live in Madrid in the '70's i had my spanish accent and when i left i lost it . now after much traveling living and mixing languages i do not know what accent i have ja ja ja.

#56852 - 11/01/06 02:36 PM Re: English/American Accents in Spaniards?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
My Spanish husband has been in So. Cal. for 17 years and still has a very thick accent which is English with a Spanish accent. We have many Mexican friends and his Spanish has transformed with a Mexican accent when he speaks with them. He sounds different when speaking to Spainsh (Spain) speakers . I can always tell when he is talking on the phone (in Spanish) which country the other person is from because of the accent my husband uses when speaking. We joke and distinguish that with Spaniards he speaks Castellano and with other native Spanish speakers, he speaks Spanish.
My Spanish(Spain) accent always comes out better when in Spain, and try so hard to retain and use it when here in Cali.

#56853 - 11/01/06 02:36 PM Re: English/American Accents in Spaniards?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
My Spanish husband has been in So. Cal. for 17 years and still has a very thick accent which is English with a Spanish accent. We have many Mexican friends and his Spanish has transformed with a Mexican accent when he speaks with them. He sounds different when speaking to Spainsh (Spain) speakers . I can always tell when he is talking on the phone (in Spanish) which country the other person is from because of the accent my husband uses when speaking. We joke and distinguish that with Spaniards he speaks Castellano and with other native Spanish speakers, he speaks Spanish.
My Spanish(Spain) accent always comes out better when in Spain, and try so hard to retain and use it when here in Cali.

#56854 - 11/08/06 07:39 AM Re: English/American Accents in Spaniards?
France Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Yes, both Spanish languages are different...very different in fact...I learned my Spanish in Spain and had a Madrileño teach me...so I speak just like her, but my SouthAmerican and Mexican friends don't understand what I am saying half of the time..haha..no, honestly they do understand, but I find it's quite different than Mexican Spanish and especially since you are in San Diego, you will see that difference almost on a daily basis....both Spanish languages are accepted and acceptable....it's normal - two different continents who practically have no connection other than language.....!

#56855 - 11/08/06 06:49 PM Re: English/American Accents in Spaniards?
jabch Offline

Quote:
two different continents who practically have no connection other than language.....!
Actually, there is more than that. The continued migration from Spain to Latin-America has shaped Latin-American culture in may ways. Look at our food, the music, the architecture of our cities, our religion and laws. It goes way beyond the language. Even now, after the U.S., Spain is the largest investor in Latin-America.

About Mexican accents..What Mexican accent? Northeaster accent? Northwestern accent? Central Mexico accent? Southern accent? Mexico city accent? Monterrey city accent? Yucatan accent? Veracruz accent? Guadalajara accent? Upper class, middle class or lower class accent? Educated or uneducated accent? Mexican with native dialect accent? Mexican teenager accent? What accent are you talking about? Believe me they are all very different.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1806 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments