Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#56784 - 09/29/06 02:18 PM Madrid during Dec. 6-9 - What to expect?
dlemma Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Hi, I will be visiting Madrid for the first time during December 6-9. I realize that there will be two national holidays during my visit. What should I expect?? Will restaurants be open? How about shops? Museums?

How do the local residents celebrate the holidays? Are there any events going on that we should consider attending?

Thanks very much!

#56785 - 09/29/06 03:01 PM Re: Madrid during Dec. 6-9 - What to expect?
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Expect to be in Madrid for a good 5-day long weekend more than anything. You can even expect the city to be possibly quieter than usual because many people will probably leave the city (me for example!). But since it's so close to Christmas you will still find it lively with plenty of things to do. The streets in the center are lit up with Christmas lights, so enjoy some night walks.

Many restaurants and bars will still be open, and the museums should too (though they may stick to a Sunday schedule on the 6th and 8th). Shops is a good question because they will be struggling with wanting to respect the holidays while at the same time want to be open for holiday shopping, if you get what I mean. The big department store, El Corte Inglés, will be closed on that day, according to its 2006 calendar. My guess is that you can expect the local shops to be closed and more flexibility in the shopping districts.

Those holidays are not particularly important ones for most Spaniards, even though they are observed nationally. Constitution Day has a few official events that you usually find out about on the news, and the Day of the Immaculate Conception has several religious services, obviously. In Madrid there is a Vigil Service which I see announced every year, but I've never been to it.

Other than that, it's just a nice long weekend, so enjoy it!

#56786 - 09/29/06 04:18 PM Re: Madrid during Dec. 6-9 - What to expect?
dlemma Offline

Thanks for the information! I will carry on with my plans, and just be extra-careful to check on opening hours,etc.

#56787 - 09/30/06 06:40 PM Re: Madrid during Dec. 6-9 - What to expect?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I did the early December "puente" holiday in 2004 and would NEVER do it again. The people into Madrid from the provinces were overwhelming. All the bars and restaurants were packed to the doors. All the ATM's within a mile of Puerta del Sol were empty by Friday night, not to be refilled until after the weekend. The Plaza itself was unnavigable, due to all the people. We went to Atocha station to do a side trip and all the trains that were running were full. We ended up in Aranjuez, (our third choice) where the lines for the Palace were around the block and all the restaurants were full. We were also interested in the Christmas decor around the PDS, but found it impossible to enjoy with all the people

We tried to attend an unofficial MadridMan gathering at Las Cuevas de Luis Candelas and coudn't get past the door. Some hostales also charge extra that weekend. If not for the kindness of friends in the hotels and restaurants, it would have been a very bleek weekend.

#56788 - 10/01/06 04:12 AM Re: Madrid during Dec. 6-9 - What to expect?
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Wow! That's true Mongo, I forgot about all the Spaniards coming into the city. More than awful, your esperience sounds gruesome!! Then again, the Puerta del Sol and Plaza Mayor are always packed at that time of year, and can be part of its fun. The Spanish like clumping together. And there are still plenty of areas you can go to eat and see the lights and keep away from the "Madding Crowd" at the same time, don't you think?

But you're right, visiting places like the palaces and musuems could be a tough test.

#56789 - 10/01/06 08:56 AM Re: Madrid during Dec. 6-9 - What to expect?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Odd--I really like Madrid at this time of the year. If you go even a block or so away from the hustle and bustle of the shopping and tourist areas, you'll have the place to yourself, because at least half of the city has left for the puente (or really the aqueducto).

#56790 - 10/03/06 10:28 PM Re: Madrid during Dec. 6-9 - What to expect?
dlemma Offline

OK, we'll take the crowds into consideration. It's good to know about that in advance, we can prepare ourselves. Knowing what to expect, it's easier to have fun.

We have our hotel booked already, we're at the Palace Maria Elena, which looks like it is between Plaza Puerta del Sol and the Gran Via. Any suggestions for neighborhoods away from the worst of the crowds where we might have a better chance of finding restaurants that aren't completely full?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2447 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments