Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#56646 - 06/11/06 04:03 PM Posting about politics and other topics
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
MadridMan: Yesterday I wrote a post about a demonstration that took place in Madrid. You've closed it without explanation (nor that you need to give anyone by the way...).

I take this as a de facto prohibition to post anything about politics, religion or any other politically incorrect topic. If this is your policy towards the board, I believe you should write it down as a note.

Anyway, I accept and respect this new policy, although I must say that I can't stand PC. With this, the board loses most its interest for me. I think that having information and reading opinions doesn't make any bad, quite the opposite, it enrichens and broadens your mind.

I don't believe in the 5S kind of tourism (sangria, siesta, sex, sand and sun). For me, knowing a country is knowing its culture, and you can't understand a country's culture without understanding its politics, religion and customes.

Anyway, thanks for all these years of fun. I'll keep around.

Fernando

#56647 - 06/11/06 04:25 PM Re: Posting about politics and other topics
carlos11 Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
Fernando-- Get a grip!

#56648 - 06/11/06 08:10 PM Re: Posting about politics and other topics
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Fernando,
I answered your message and posted a response, but your mailbox was full. :>(

I will try later.

Ciao,
Carmen

#56649 - 06/12/06 06:21 AM Re: Posting about politics and other topics
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Nice photo, Fernando! (on the other thread).

I think MadridMan should have left that thread open a few days at least. Political Correctness didn't used to be his forté but now that he is in Spain it appears he has 'sold out' to some Higher Authority.

But I am not in Spain!

I agree with MM's general way of running the BB.

#56650 - 06/12/06 07:52 AM Re: Posting about politics and other topics
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
There was a reason I closed down the "Political Discussion" and "Non-Spain Discussion" forum categories - I'd imagine this reason was obvious. I'd had enough of them as had many others. I was spending more time "policing" these constant, long, hot, tiresome Right-versus-Left discussions which were overwhelming our tourism-focused message board.

There's nothing more pointless than banging two heads together for the same result: a stalemate with headaches on both sides. Typically, (but not always) these threads are started by antagonists wishing to A) Promote their propaganda and/or B) to accuse the other party of wrongdoing. I'm SO tired of this. Tired. Fed-up. Let's just all get along by sticking to our own party's politics and stop trying to convince/accuse the other side. We'll all just stay on our own sides of the fence. That way we can wave at each other from time to time, smile, and go on with our otherwise happy lives and politics. Easy!

Most of you know where I stand politically. Fine. I consider myself rather democratic. I didn't typically shut down threads until they reached their boiling points. But along that path so many people get so P**SED OFF - me not usually being one of them - and these discussions were most often so one-sided because, in my opinion, "the other side" is so wonderfully/terribly passive that they let people have their say without refuting statements or fighting back.

The loudest voice, no matter if its fair or unfair, true or false, is the voice always heard by the people. Control the media (in whatever form - even message boards) and you control the thoughts of others. This message board will not be controlled or manipulated. Some will certainly claim that by my "muting" political discussions *I'm* controlling or manipulating THIS media. Fine. Say that. I'll say otherwise. I'll say by closing the "Political Discussion" forum category I'm MUTING BOTH SIDES and taking politics completely out of our discussions of Spain, its wonderful cities, villages, natural landscapes, hotels, incredible food, and fun things to do and see around the country.

Two things they always tell foreigners before traveling to a foreign country: Never talk about religion and NEVER talk about politics. Your're likely to start a fight. We DO learn by discussing these topics openly, yes, but it's so stressful, so aggravating, so tense, and sometimes it's dangerous too. We don't need that stress here on our message board.

Fernando, I invite you to share your political-related-ideas at http://foros.abc.es/forosabcd/foros.html or http://www.elpais.es/foros/index.html . We've gotten back to tourism here.

Fernando wrote:
Quote:
I take this as a de facto prohibition to post anything about politics, religion or any other politically incorrect topic.
That's pretty much correct, sir, yes.
Quote:
If this is your policy towards the board, I believe you should write it down as a note.
Fair enough. Your wish is my command - in this case. I'll edit the "About Spain" & "General Spain Discussion" forum category's descriptions now. I'm allowing political discussions in the "Discusión de España" forum category for the time being.
Quote:
For me, knowing a country is knowing its culture, and you can't understand a country's culture without understanding its politics, religion and customes.
True. But reading these threads are likely to only give the reader a one-sided view of Spain's politics, religions, and customs. OR the reader will be confused by the conflicting ideas/opinions of those in the discussions. For example, a person watching CNN in North Dakota, USA, watching a SHORT video clip of Saturday's demonstration would likely come to the conclusion that the entire city/country believes in this way - which is not the truth.

I imagine by taking this new policy we'll lose some valuable members of our message board. That would be sad and unfortunate. But I imagine we'll also revive the activity of those members who left/went-dormant BECAUSE of all the political discussions. You have no idea how many emails and Private Messages I've received saying, "I love the message board but I'm leaving because I can't stand all the political fighting. I just wanted to share my love for Spain and I don't feel comfortable doing that anymore."

There's something we all share here. WE ALL LOVE SPAIN! Let's focus on THAT. THAT LOVE will bring us together.

This topic is now closed - with plenty of explanation on my part. I'm not willing to debate this either as it would go against the reason I closed the "Political Discussions" forum category in the first place. Please don't open new threads on this same topic as they'll be removed as soon as I see them. Thanks! smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments