Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56578 - 04/24/06 03:44 PM Issue with Surnames in Spain...
ceb Offline

Loc: USA
Hello. I am wondering how those living in Spain adjust to having their documents there with another name than the ones from their country of origin? For example, the double surname part that doesn't exist in many parts of the world but does so in Spain. Is it possible to have Spanish documentation with one last name as seen in the U.S., or is it mandatory to change your name with the two surnames?

#56579 - 04/24/06 03:56 PM Re: Issue with Surnames in Spain...
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I'm not completely sure, but I think it is possible to have just one surname (you foreigners are so strange... :p ).

At least in every environment in which I've seen spaniards+foreigners this was normal (some people with two surnames, some with just one).

Fernando

#56580 - 04/24/06 05:18 PM Re: Issue with Surnames in Spain...
ceb Offline

Thanks Fernando. Hope other members may know a bit more about this. Btw, can women use one surname (their husband's) and the their father's...as people do with their mother and fathers' last names? Is it allowed? Like for example my husband's last name is Smith and my father's is Gomez. Can I do Jane Gomez Smith? Changing countries entails a lot of details, especially when the country is Spain (Ah España!).

#56581 - 04/24/06 05:19 PM Re: Issue with Surnames in Spain...
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
If you become a Spanish citizen, you have to have a second surname. If you are just a resident you can use just one last name for most purposes. Sometimes you may be asked to use a second last name, but it isn't usually manditory. I use one for really official stuff, like school registration.

I highly suggest that you do not use a middle name in Spain. It will cause a lot of confusion, since people will think that it is your primer apellido.

#56582 - 04/24/06 05:24 PM Re: Issue with Surnames in Spain...
ceb Offline

Thanks Mariposita! But does the two surnames necessarily have to come from your parents? See the question above yours, which I was editing when your post came through. Will it be seen as strange that one of your last names has nothing to do with your blood lineage?

#56583 - 04/24/06 05:47 PM Re: Issue with Surnames in Spain...
Executive Member

Ah, I don't know ceb. I didn't change my name, so I use both of my parent's names.

I would think that you should keep the surname that you are used to using in the US first and add the new one second (Jane Smith Gómez). Sometimes, the segundo apellido gets dropped, so you would want to be left with the name that you are used to in these cases.

I would think that, as a foreigner you could add whatever last name you like as the segundo apellido.

#56584 - 04/24/06 06:52 PM Re: Issue with Surnames in Spain...
ceb Offline

¡Mariposita (btw great pseudo)MIL GRACIAS!

You wrote that it would be best to drop off one's middle name, but I currently use mine and is in conjunction with my first. So there are few in Spain with two first names and two last names, that you know of? What about Maria Teresa combined type names, they just drop the second part and it will be Maria Gomez Morales, for instance? Or Maria T. Gomez Morales? This name business is complicated for someone born and raised in the states, the previous generation see this double surnames as the norm.

#56585 - 04/25/06 02:20 AM Re: Issue with Surnames in Spain...
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Curious thread this, I'm by no means an expert, Mariposita seems better informed but my experience as someone in this situation may help you.

I'm English, my full name is Graham Colin Homewood. I have the Spanish residency card which as a European was a formality, not sure what your situation is. Anyway, basically when I applied I had to give copies of my passport etc (and fingerprint) and at no stage was offered any choice as to what name went on it. Thus when it was received it said simply Graham Colin Homewood.

What has happened is exactly what Mariposita says, I am now Mr Colin Homewood, or Mr Colin as it is always the first 'surname' that takes on more importance. This personally doesn't bother me and correcting people tends to cause only confusion, whereas accepting it leads to everything running smoothly. Furthermore, both Graham and Homewood are difficult for non English speakers, whereas Colin appears to have been something to do with bread wink (spaniards can assist with an explantion of this maybe) and is easily handled.

Double first names are no problem, many many people here have them.

By the way, I also believe that anyone can change there name at any stage if they really want to. It may not be easy, but it can be done.

#56586 - 04/25/06 03:56 AM Re: Issue with Surnames in Spain...
Executive Member

All I can say about middle names is that on one of my documents mine is Mary. Mary is now my last name in certain important contexts. So some of my medical records are filed under Mary and some aren't. My phone bill comes to Jane Mary. I've had trouble getting medical test results because the name in their system doesn't match what is on my card. Or picking up my son's records because my last name is Mary and doesn't match either of his two last names. It has caused a lot of problems and confusion. Personally, I wouldn't recommend using one on official documents.

If you have a double name like Juan Miguel or María Carmen and two last names, it's a different story, because this is very familiar and recognizable.

Spanish people who go to the US have the same problem.

#56587 - 04/25/06 02:53 PM Re: Issue with Surnames in Spain...
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
In fact this is a recent issue, we didn't have that many foreign residents one or two decades ago smile

By the way, the only correct way to name yourself is to use first your father's surname, then your mother's maiden surname (conventional way), or viceversus, first your mother's maiden surname, then your father's. To do the second, you must ask for it specificly.

You may be known as "Señora de Smith", but you will ever be "Señora Gómez". Your husband's name never could be your legal surname in Spain (as far as I know).

A "colín" (stress in the second part of the word) is a small piece of hard bread typical from southern Spain (sometimes flavoured with a hint of aniseed. Great with a slice of cured ham... mmmmmmmmmm!

Fernando

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3024 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments