Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#56540 - 03/13/06 05:17 PM Birthday's in Spain -- ideas
fuegofuego Offline

I am having a 50th birthday party at a Spainsih/Portugese restaurant in New Jersey. My husband is 1/2 spanish....and I want to incorporate some tradtions into his party. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? We have been to children's parties in Spain -- but never for an adult, so I am unsure of what the customs may be.

#56541 - 03/14/06 12:20 PM Re: Birthday's in Spain -- ideas
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
My suggestion is to surprise him by handing him the check at the end of the party! smile In Spain, when it's your party, you pay (opposite of the USA).

#56542 - 03/14/06 08:11 PM Re: Birthday's in Spain -- ideas
Shannon McDonough Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
or maybe just 1/2 the check! lol Hope it's a great day for everyone!

#56543 - 03/15/06 06:30 AM Re: Birthday's in Spain -- ideas
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I was at el Mesón del Duque in Segovia when a (Spanish) group was celebrating a birthday for one of their members: They did a Ritual Queimada Gallega to drive away the evil Spirits. That's a thousand times better than just blowing out candles; and I have it on Good Authority that it does the job. cool

The link below tells you all you need to know and it even gives you the words to the Ritual (Conxuro). I don't know where you would get the Orujo ... You may try Everclear or some other very high proof liquor as a substitute. And, by the way, Someone must recite the Conxuro when the Queimada is burning rolleyes

I would also recommend Cochinillo Asado for a main course. If it's a real Portuguese / Spanish restaurant, the Chef should be able to do that for your group. laugh

http://www.algoasi.com/queimada.htm

FLASH!
I did a google search and there's apparently a wine & liquor shop in Spring Lake, N.J. that stocks some Orujo.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments