Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#56343 - 10/28/05 06:01 AM Re: Halloween in Spain?
sdavidr Offline

Loc: Barcelona
Murdy, I've read that in Spain there a lot of diferent types of "castañadas" (with different dates and with different names).

I've extracted some "Fiestas" from the Book "Fiestas populares de España día a día" (Sanchez, María Angeles,1998) that are particularly special in Spain these days.

Béjar(Salamanca): La Calvotada->roasted chestnuts with wine.

Benalauría(Málaga): El tostón -> chestnuts

Betanzos(Coruña) : Feira dos Santos.

Cocentaina(Alicante) : Fira de Tots Sants. November 1-15. Hugh traditional market. Normally 200000 visitors.

Murcia : the "auroros" sing old songs to the deaths.

Obijo ( Cordoba): where one covers the locks with gachas(mush?) by night so spirits do not enter.

Quiroga (Lugo) : Magosto-> roasted chestnuts.

Socuéllamos (Ciudad Real): Nov 2, "dia de los finaos" -> all people of Socuellamos inside the cemetery.

Vilafranca del Penedès : human castles.

#56344 - 10/28/05 06:36 AM Re: Halloween in Spain?
Alando Offline

Loc: Japan
It is interesting I think that it would be denounced as an American holiday. From what I have read, the origin of the holiday is European - from Celtic tribes that were essentially pagan, mostly in present day Ireland. America certainly has put its spin on it and of course the modern celebration of the holiday is totally American.

#56345 - 10/28/05 10:35 AM Re: Halloween in Spain?
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
As an Irishman I'm happy to se Halloweenish customs in Spain. I was speaking to some schoolchildren 10 minutes ago here in our little pueblo in Mallorca and they were telling me that on Halloween they eat lots of chestnuts but are careful to leave a few for the dead. If not, the spirits will come into their bedrooms by night and pull at their legs.

Meanwhile, all the bakeries are busy preparing special sweets - rosary beads made of sugar - to bring to the cemeteries on the 1 November.

Halloween-type customs are alive and well, whether they be "dia de los muertos" traditions or Celtic beginning of winter type celebrations.

S, wherever you are, remember your ancestors, your debt to them, and have fun!

#56346 - 10/29/05 09:23 AM Re: Halloween in Spain?
janel Offline

Loc: Madrid
Yea, kids here love it. I teach some kids private lessons and of course this week they were expecting halloween activities, which we did. THey love it. And they even go trick or treating. Costumes shops (like the one by Pl. Mayor, are alwyays busy this time of year and all the Irish Pubs have halloween parties, which is great since the 1st of Nov is a holiday. The only "negative" comment I have heard was last year when I was picking up the pumpkin I had ordered from the local "fruteria" the lady in line behind me started to say how Yankee we were all becoming nowadays, until she realized I was American, and she said "Creo que me he metido la pata!" We all laughed and I went home to carve the pumpkin with my Spanish friends, who had a great time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments