Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#56119 - 08/05/05 02:18 PM Re: Are Spain women more beautiful then american women?
el tio Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Super lau - you have a point, but I know very few American women that can do all those things you've listed and do them all well (there's only so many hours in the day).

The Spanish culture may be also be a factor in this debate. Many spanish women spend the morning out walking, doing the shopping and preparing for the big medio dia meal and then spend the afternoon cleaning (Spanish home are generally very clean, moreso than Americans. They even go out and mop the sidewalks!).

Americans, on the other hand, try to do it all - the full time job, kids, caring for the house, etc. - which often is done sitting/driving, and results in eating processed food because there is no time!

Just another factor as to why Spanish women may be more attractive than Americans...

#56120 - 08/05/05 04:35 PM Re: Are Spain women more beautiful then american women?
super lau Offline

Well, I never said that a woman had to do all of those things in one day!

I think Spanish women are more likely to have help (ie, maid/nanny) that American women too. The US has the idea that women should be super moms and put themselves last...and then society complains because the average American woman is overweight and is behind on the latest fashion. Excuse me for being a bit bitter about that. Somehow, my goal for ten years down the road from now is neither to spend my morning searching for groceries for lunch and cleaning in the afternoon, while looking amazing, nor is it to be overweight and stressed out, eating processed food. The real question is whether or not there is a man out there who can look past my figure and help me balance my life so that it doesn't go to either extreme.

#56121 - 08/05/05 05:56 PM Re: Are Spain women more beautiful then american women?
el tio Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I think the supermom concept is pretty unique to the U.S., or at least the extent to which it applies. I'm not sure why it's now so common - could be the need we feel to have all the nice toys, and therefore, need to have the husband and wife work to make ends meet. If our society is like that because of male expectations or the feminist movement, I don't know. The Spanish have their apartments, one car (if that) and one TV and seem OK with it.

From my experiences, very few households in Spain have maids. I think it's more role based and is generally accepted that men and women have different roles. I don't know if it's necessarily expected that Spanish women cook, clean and look great, but it's probably easier to do when you don't have to do everything else that supermom does.

I'd also be curious what the divorce rate is in Spain compared to the U.S. If it's higher in the U.S., this would only add to the supermom concept.

As you mention, neither extreme is good.

It's going to be easier to "be attractive" if your lifestyle permits it, though a large part of it is also in the genes.

I haven't been to Spain in a while, so please correct me if things have changed drastically over the last 12 years.

el tio

#56122 - 08/06/05 05:56 AM Re: Are Spain women more beautiful then american women?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
The Spanish have their apartments, one car (if that) and one TV and seem OK with it.
Don't kid yourself. Things are changing here and frighteningly fast. The Spanish have their flats, their family house in the mountains, and/or in the pueblo, and/or at the beach...more than one TV (one in the living room, often a small one in the kitchen, and perhaps one in the kid's room). And quite frequently more than one car. Things a recent as 10-15 years ago were quite different.

Nowadays, when a three bedroom flat in a middle income neighborhood of Madrid costs upwards of 300,000€ and the average pay is nowhere near what it is in the USA, more and more the Spaniards are getting in debt up to their eyeballs, living beyond their means.. basically heading down the same road as mainstream America.

Not all is as romantic as many would like to believe here. More and more women work... only those mothers of my husband's generation (he's 41) can hold the title of "stay at home Moms". More women in later generations work. Stress is a major factor in society today. Oh, and I have seen plenty of "well nourished" (let's leave it at that) men, women and children all walking the streets of Madrid. McDonalds and Burger King are very popular family restaurants here... and I am not talking about the expat community.

As far as whether or not Spanish women are more beautiful...that is really a subjective statement.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Beauty is only skin deep.
Never judge a book by its cover.

And all those other clichés. A woman is as beautiful as she thinks she is and period. A woman doesn't need a man or corporate executives to assess her beauty! :p

Sorry, I couldn't standby and do nothing! I finally broke down and posted on a thread that I thought was absolutely ridiculous! smile

#56123 - 08/06/05 02:34 PM Re: Are Spain women more beautiful then american women?
pim_on_tour Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Becks,

"Sorry, I couldn't standby and do nothing! I finally broke down and posted on a thread that I thought was absolutely ridiculous!"

He, he, he, he!, I could not have put it better, sis! laugh
Heck, after many weeks having problems to sign in, I've even registered again just so I could say; right on, girl! laugh

I also love the part about women being as beautiful as they themselves think they are....mmm....I'd never heard this before, and it definitely is good food for thought...

Besos a todos desde Bruselas!

pim smile

#56124 - 08/07/05 12:28 AM Re: Are Spain women more beautiful then american women?
super lau Offline

Pim.. I feel so sorry for you, having lived without hearing that a woman is as beautiful as she thinks she is! This should be the moto of all women! Because after all, a woman defines her beauty based on self-confidence, and a self-confident woman will always radiate beauty. And if her face still disapoints, her charm will overcome her flaws.

And yes, this is a ridiculous thread!

#56125 - 08/07/05 05:11 AM Re: Are Spain women more beautiful then american women?
Alando Offline

Loc: Japan
I suppose being just a new junior member on this board it is not necessarily my place to bring reality to the last few dream-based posts, but what the hell I will anyway!

Yes, these sayings such as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" "beauty is only skin deep" and "women are as beautiful as they think they are" etc. - sure these are all technically true, but the reality is that older, ugly, over-weight women do not attract men. Nor should they! The same can be said for men - I have never heard a woman say, "ooh, give me that bald-headed man with no job, no career amibitions, and a huge gut!" Si?

Women have just as many expectations as men, it is just that men's tend to be more based on physical appearance. I think we all know this, right?

So, in short - it is not a stupid thread, actually it is the most interesting one I have read on this board to date! Haha..

#56126 - 08/07/05 01:49 PM Re: Are Spain women more beautiful then american women?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
but the reality is that older, ugly, over-weight women do not attract men.
And how, exactly do you define "ugly"?

Quote:
Nor should they!
And why shouldn't they? Are they any less human? Do they not deserve love, affection and care as much as some overstylized, airbrushed, multiple face-lifts, collagen injected woman?

Now who's dreaming??? mad

Oh brother!

#56127 - 08/08/05 08:07 AM Re: Are Spain women more beautiful then american women?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Becky and Pim -Thank you both (little icons clapping, dancing and toasting your comments) wink

Like you, I avoided the thread beciase I basically thought it was incrediably stupid rolleyes and juvenile. Add one adage to your roster Chica - looks fade - personalities and emotions grow ....

To the original poster (sorry I can't remewmber your name) - Had the discussion been on the style of Spanish women vs. other nationalities I don't think you would have gotton the same responses ....

#56128 - 08/08/05 11:48 PM Re: Are Spain women more beautiful then american women?
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Ladies: I noticed that it is the women that are saying how stupid and juvenile this thread is. laugh Your lack of a sense of humor is showing. laugh To quote Bill Engvall, "after you have seen one woman naked, now you want to see them all naked." wink The Desert Dweller has to agree with that statment. laugh laugh

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1838 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments