Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#56052 - 07/12/05 06:02 PM customs of gitano people?
IsavellaSophia Offline

Loc: usa
I am going to spain in january and looking forward to immersing myself into the gitano culture and music. Does anyone have any advise on the different customs of gitano people.

#56053 - 07/12/05 06:57 PM Re: customs of gitano people?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow. Are you sure you want to do this? Keep in in mind that the "musical gypsy" is represented by a VERY VERY VERY small percentage of the whole of the gypsy nation.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#56054 - 07/12/05 09:30 PM Re: customs of gitano people?
IsavellaSophia Offline

See thats the thing I dont know exactly what to expect. Is there something I dont know? Im sure there is.
What I know of Gypsy people is what I have read and heard from other people who have been to spain.
I do know that they are stereotyped alot of the times and then I have only heard one perspective.
Was wondering if anyone has any advice on the subject.
My email is IsavellaSophia@hotmail.com

#56055 - 07/13/05 05:59 AM Re: customs of gitano people?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
My advice to you would be: be very careful where you tread! You're an 'outsider' and always will be; therefore it's all right for Gypsies to steal your things ...

Most of the so-called Gitanos you will see at Tablaos Flamencos are people who work for a living, something the Gypsy race abhors. Their old horse drawn Caravans have given way to Vans and mini-buses, but they still congregate in open-air places; and they are here today, gone tomorrow. It would be absolutely impossible for a lady from the U.S. to penetrate Gypsy society and be accepted by them, especially if her visit is of a short duration. Such an objective could take a matter of years.

You might try to schedule another visit to Spain for September, 2006 when the next Bienial de Flamenco takes place in Sevilla. There, you can visit a variety of venues and see authentic Gypsies dancing.

#56056 - 07/13/05 10:26 AM Re: customs of gitano people?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Madridman is completely right.

Unlike other ethnias, gypsies are not (generally) integrated in the rest of the society. They don't usually marry with non-gypsies, they have their own "laws" and don't usually have normal jobs.

Most of the small percentage who is integrated into society are flamenco dancers or singers.

I don't recommend you to try to inmerse in their community. Try instead to attend to a flamenco school, thus you may learn it and some of their customs.

Fernando

#56057 - 07/13/05 02:09 PM Re: customs of gitano people?
TJGuy Offline

Loc: Florida
eeeegads! Hmm...i think you might have picked up some information regarding Gypsy culture and its applicability to Spaain from a source with a somewhat romantic view of life.

It isn't an exact parallel but your question is similiar to a Spaniard saying they are visiting the U.S. and are very interested in black history and black culture and they would like to spend time with the bloods and crips in L.A.

Gitanos aren't as violent but it isn't a place you want to spend any amount of time.

You can hang out in Madrid and Sevilla and have a great deal of exposure to the Flamenco phenom. without putting yourself in any danger.

#56058 - 07/13/05 11:42 PM Re: customs of gitano people?
IsavellaSophia Offline

WOW thats amazing you should say that!!! Incidentally I am a black female that happens to live in a black community. Who as well loves all rhythms of flamenco and people who are prideful of who they are.
And for your imformation black culture does not consist of "bloods and crips" so your comparison is completely off and absolutely ignorant.
Typical response I suppose since many people in the US are extremely quick to judge and stereotype blacks as well.
Im beginning to wonder if the same thing doesnt hold true for gitanos.
I guess what you said would be comparable to that of someone who would say to come to the US and immerse yourself with whites would be like trying to associate yourself with skinheads and Klu Klux klan, which would be absolutely ridicuous.
You sir are extremely offensive in your comments and should be careful with the comments you make. Because you never know who it is you are responding to.

To all others this was never intended to turn into anything else other than an question answer thread, but since ignorance has shown its ugly face, I figure it needed to be confronted.

Adios

#56059 - 07/14/05 12:50 AM Re: customs of gitano people?
nevado Offline

Before you get all bent out of shape, I think TJguy was trying to make the same point as you about the skinheads, it's not very realistic of a situation for a complete outsider to immerse themselves in a culture/subculture such as those (tightly knit, not generally accepting of outsiders). What is ignorant is thinking you can just show up in Spain, decide you're interested in gitano culture, and "immerse" yourself. One could learn more about the culture from a visit but that is hardly immersion. You could spend your entire trip just trying to figure out where they live. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

#56060 - 07/14/05 02:39 AM Re: customs of gitano people?
normske Offline

Loc: Madrid
I agree with Nevado, MM and Fernando. How do you expect to 'immerse' yourself in this culture? Approach a gitano who is selling stolen goods on the street and ask if you can join their group? They will steal all you have and when you report this to the police I don't think they will be very accommadating. As previous posters have said, a majority of these people don't work, have a their own laws etc. And I'm not sterotyping, my wife is Spanish and knows what these people are like. Don't do it.

#56061 - 07/14/05 03:21 AM Re: customs of gitano people?
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
Inmersing in the gitano comunity? NO WAY.
FYI, it's an extremely closed community, and on top
of that they are racist and machoistic.
I don't think you should try. It's not safe.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments