Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#55904 - 05/30/05 01:55 AM How do people celebrate birthdays in Spain?
La Tortuga Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Hello everyone! I am leaving for Madrid the day after tomorrow! WOW! laugh And I get to spend my birthday in Valladolid and Segovia. smile The only thing I saw in a search about celebrating birthdays was McDonald's. :p No thanks! I don't do that here! (I'll be 53 for Heaven's sake! eek ) I would like to know about the customs surrounding birthdays in Spain. Thanks to all who comment!
Leilani

#55905 - 05/30/05 05:25 AM Re: How do people celebrate birthdays in Spain?
Amleth Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi!

Well I think it depends on the age. When I was a child I celebrated it at home with my family and friends.

Now that I'm an adult It depends on my mood and my free time, it's not a big deal anymore smile . Some people go to a restaurant, some go to a pub, club, disco, and some stay at home with their relatives.

#55906 - 05/30/05 08:45 AM Re: How do people celebrate birthdays in Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
One big difference I found between birthday customs in Spain and the USA is that when a Spaniard has a birthday (s)he invites all her/his friends to dinner - NOT the other way around as it is in the USA (typically). Also, when going to work, the Birthday Girl/Boy takes a cake or snack for the office instead of, as in the USA, it's the office which offers a cake/snack for the person having the birthday.

So how should you celebrate your "American Birthday" in Spain? If you're visiting friends then invite them all to dinner - AND YOU PAY! laugh

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#55907 - 05/30/05 03:44 PM Re: How do people celebrate birthdays in Spain?
La Tortuga Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Thank you! Thank you! What a great idea! I am so grateful to have lived this long! And to be spending my birthday in Spain! I have to celebrate laugh ! I'll be sure to hit the ATM that morning wink !
Leilani

#55908 - 05/31/05 11:54 AM Re: How do people celebrate birthdays in Spain?
AgenteMunicipal Offline

Loc: Canada
MadridMan wrote:
Quote:
One big difference I found between birthday customs in Spain and the USA is that when a Spaniard has a birthday (s)he invites all her/his friends to dinner - NOT the other way around as it is in the USA (typically). Also, when going to work, the Birthday Girl/Boy takes a cake or snack for the office instead of, as in the USA, it's the office which offers a cake/snack for the person having the birthday.
Oddly enough here in Eastern Canada, we tend to do the same as the Spaniards in regards to birthdays...(except each guest usually pays their own restaurant bill)

#55909 - 06/01/05 02:56 AM Re: How do people celebrate birthdays in Spain?
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
In Spain it's the same, Agente.
What MadridMan says is true, but he's being too radical ("más papista que el papa!"), we pay a round of drinks to our friends and then each one pays his own bill at the restaurant.
When you are at work, yeah, it's common to bring some cakes or drinks.

#55910 - 06/01/05 09:04 AM Re: How do people celebrate birthdays in Spain?
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Actually I don't think MadridMan is being too radical at all. I've been treated to many birthday dinners and have done the same myself.

The point is, people treat on their birthday, and that's not at all like the U.S. What you treat others to depends on the circumstances and your budget. It can be anything from a coffee, to a round of drinks, to a meal or aperitivo, to a full-scale party (especially if it's an important year). I've seen some pretty extravagant birthday celebrations here in Spain.

So there's no one thing you HAVE to do, just remember that if you celebrate it in some way, you should be prepared to treat others. Or at least be prepared to offer. wink

At first I thought it was an odd custom, but now I really like it...it says a lot about the generous Spanish heart.

#55911 - 06/02/05 04:15 PM Re: How do people celebrate birthdays in Spain?
JasMadrid Offline

In my birthdays it is always I who invite, and when I go to someone's birthday most of the times I am invited too. As Murdy says, there is no "rules". Sometimes I've taken my friends to dinner, maybe just some drinks, as Deibid said, but of course, you always get the PRESENTS!!! hehehe

#55912 - 06/14/05 06:38 AM Re: How do people celebrate birthdays in Spain?
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
Down here in Andalucía, it's generally accepted that when it's your birthday, you buy the drinks. However!!! When it's your Saint's day, everybody buys you drinks. I think that' fair and reasonable, don't you? BTW, if your name is John, you should be in Spain for your Saint's day next week - it's one of the biggest fiestas of the year.

#55913 - 06/17/05 11:30 PM Re: How do people celebrate birthdays in Spain?
Lonoma Offline

Loc: Sevilla, Spain.
At work most people don’t celebrate birthdays, we celebrate saints and you invite your workmates to coffee and cakes.

Birthdays are for kids.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments